PDA

View Full Version : My school boy comics

ILS32
7th Sep 2011, 21:53
When I started the My Bogie Thread it set me off reminiscing about other aspects of growing up in the fifties and early sixties.What would other kids born like myself just after the war be doing and it occurred to me,reading comics. Which comics did I read ? Which was the first comic that my Mam bought me? The hard part was trying to remember.I should imagine none are still being published.long gone and forgotten. Then I saw it sitting there in one of the book shelves.The book was called I flew with Braddock. It was a birthday present.
I flew with Braddock was one of the stories serialized every week in The Rover,Alf Tupper Tough of the Track was in there to.He trained on a diet of fish and chips.The Rover was the first comic that I ever read. Then others came to mind The Eagle with Dan Dare Pilot of the Future. Wonderful to read they were all filled with lots of action and adventure.The Adventure comic later merged with the Rover. I still bought it though it was now called the Rover and Adventure.Some more I remember were The Hotspur,The Wizard and the Victor.The Wolf of Kabul was another tale I remember being serialized,seem to think it was in the Wizard.There must be others, can any of you remember?We were spoiled for choice when it came to buying our weekly comic.I don't suppose we will ever see the likes of them again.Comics now seem to be all pictures, I must be getting old and out of touch because I have no interest in reading them.Talk about the good old days,but as a kid they were some of the best days of my life.

G-CPTN
7th Sep 2011, 22:05
I started with the Dandy and then progressed to the Eagle (which my older brother used to get before me).

The Beano (which was the alternative to the Dandy) was read by others of my age.

Some adult newspapers included comic strips for children (such as Rupert the Bear) and Annuals were published at Christmas time.

tony draper
7th Sep 2011, 22:08
I remember Black Bob(he was a Sheep Dog) and Red Rory of the Eagles,also some young chap who had a Pobble,a strange creature with polka dots,Jimmy and his magic patch,and another who had a radio controled miniature army and yet another with a Submarine shaped like a Swordfish,cant remember which particular comics they appeared in though.
Superman Captain Marvel and such were all known as just American Comics as in "Yer gorreny American comics to swap"?
Then the Horror Comics appeared and avidly read by all right thinking urchins Black Magic,Tales from the Crypt,all soon to be banned by the guvmint.
Feckers!! we all loved horror comics.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
7th Sep 2011, 22:14
I think the Pobble was in the Topper (a comic that came with 'gifts' such as cardboard triangles with brown paper inside that made a loud sound when flicked).

11Fan
7th Sep 2011, 22:21
Over here it was Archie and Jughead.

http://www.destinyland.org/the-archies.jpg

Of course, the real draw was Betty and Veronica.

h9nE2spOw_o

Lantern10
7th Sep 2011, 22:22
Wham, Smash & Pow were three I remember.

cdtaylor_nats
7th Sep 2011, 22:24
I used to like Wilson the mysterious athlete who was older than he looked; Kelly's Eye, The Steel Claw, The Spider; V for Vengeance - some were revived recently by DC Comics.

Tankertrashnav
7th Sep 2011, 22:45
I think the Pobble was in the Topper (a comic that came with 'gifts' such as cardboard triangles with brown paper inside that made a loud sound when flicked).

That came out with edition 1 of The Topper c 1955. I was amazed to find out that Mrs TTN also remembered this as she had bought the comic the first week it came out too. Unfortunately neither copy (nor the gift) is still in our possession, as first edition comics can be worth a fortune :(

Still got an Eagle annual with a highly detailed exploded drawing of the Comet :ok:

GrumpyOldFart
8th Sep 2011, 00:35
a highly detailed exploded drawing of the Comet

Wasn't that the only kind of Comet you could get?

I remember getting the first issue of The Beezer - like the Topper, it was a sort of broadsheet of the comic world. Can't remember which came first, though.

Barksdale Boy
8th Sep 2011, 01:17
I remember especially those centre spreads in the Eagle, usually cutaways of British engineering achievements, mainly aeroplanes. They often ended up on my bedroom wall. Topically, of these I cherish the memory of the Fairey Delta 2.

Captain Dart
8th Sep 2011, 05:05
As a kid in the 60's, the Commando and similar war comics held sway for me. Beautifully drawn, aircraft and their crews and interiors down pat, and all the Germans said were 'arrggh', 'Gott in Himmel' and 'Achtung, Spitfire!'. Occasionally a Brit was shot down and was told, 'for you, the war is over', before he stole an Me 109 and escaped.

Slasher
8th Sep 2011, 05:24
Yep me too Dart! :ok:

All were great - some Oz v Jap ones included the odd Aussie
breaking formation and singlehandedly takes out a few Zekes
and Dinahs, and then the Jap squad leader orders "Aaieeee!!
Flee this crazy Australian!" and then gets his arse clobbered
by a few stray Spits.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwgkSoDGmdYltmKQn_2bhBaetVq1zwt21ZEeCZiUA RP9H4nrkK http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN17jw_6jHpgXeJHruit30TDVjjOrRr99-pUfXH_ZlueSeqqHlFQ http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_ePxYsOjxLecnBAQs7yyYWgoU7tPfJIHE-LHQBwZjYXElzod6H-FcZq8 http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmtgDj8sydyAr3mw6dQb6D2ArXPlb2HGu0EEs-Mle9pjtCHogT

Capetonian
8th Sep 2011, 05:32
I came from a deprived background and we weren't allowed comics. I used to smuggle borrowed ones home in my satchel!

Cacophonix
8th Sep 2011, 05:43
I came from a deprived background and we weren't allowed comics. I used to smuggle borrowed ones home in my satchel!

My mother was an Anglo snob so British comics were fine but anything with DC on it (viz. American) was verboten!

When I started sneaking Scope magazine home in my satchel, though, she relented and Superman joined Roy of the Rovers, Johnny Cougar, Skid Solo and Battle Picture library.

Caco

stuckgear
8th Sep 2011, 08:07
When I started sneaking Scope magazine home

Sounds like a gay bondage fetish mag!

Cacophonix
8th Sep 2011, 08:18
Sounds like a gay bondage fetish mag!

You clearly know me too well! ;) :p

Actually Scope was the closest one could get to a girly magazine. All the interesting bits had black stripes/stars over them to the extent that when I finally got to see the real thing I wondered where the black stripes were!

For those who speak Afrikaans... (I trust the mods will forgive the lapse into a foreign language just this once)....

Way back there was this Afrikaans joke about Scope: Seuntjie kom by Oupa en vra: "Oupa, wat is 'n doos?" Oupa gaan haal 'n Scope agter die kas uit en blaai tot by een van die modelle. Hy se: "Sien jy die sterretjies hier en hier en hier? Nou, die ou wat hulle daar geplak het, is 'n doos!"

Caco

Tankertrashnav
8th Sep 2011, 09:27
Wasn't that the only kind of Comet you could get?

Tut, tut Jerry := Only really in the case of the Comet 1. Later marks held together ok.

By the way "Dan Dare - Pilot of the Future" is going out on BBC 7 (or 4 plus or whatever it's called now) at the moment on digital radio. Sounds amazingly dated, but we were easily amused then!

ILS32
8th Sep 2011, 09:43
We had not only Dan Dare in the Eagle comic,but on radio there was Captain Jet Morgan in Journey into Space.

Fareastdriver
8th Sep 2011, 09:49
I once had a full set of the first year of the Eagle. They disappeared during major international moves in the late 50s. Apparantly when Eagle did a look through illustration of the TSR 2 it was so accurate that there was concern that it transgressed the Official Secrets Act.

Fareastdriver
8th Sep 2011, 09:53
Captain Jet Morgan in Journey into Space.

That replaced 'Dick Barton, Special Agent' on the light programme at 18.45. Journey Into Space was in turn replaced by some crap about country folk called 'The Archers'.

goudie
8th Sep 2011, 09:55
I absolutely loved all comics. Pure escapism in an otherwise dull world.
Probably encouraged reading too. When doing my paper round I was always stopping to read them!
The Champion was one of my favourites and Rockfist Rogan my hero.
One of the lads at school had a sister who was going out with a Yank who gave him American comics. We were absolutely overwhelmed by them and one recalls almost becoming addicted to them. Nothing could touch them for playground 'swapping' currency.

MagnusP
8th Sep 2011, 10:07
When doing my paper round I was always stopping to read them

Same here, goudie, but I had the fun of one stop on the round which took "Parade" in all its air-brushed glory. Matters not when yer only 13.

goudie
8th Sep 2011, 10:23
when yer only 13.
At that age Magnus, one has a very powerful imagination! :ok:

G-CPTN
8th Sep 2011, 10:34
If only I'd known then what I know now!

Slasher
8th Sep 2011, 10:40
It would've made our late teens very un-dull and interesting! :E

sabredog
8th Sep 2011, 10:50
Somewhat surprised that Sgt.Matt Braddock,V.C. of the Rover has not been mentioned. Also, the Lion comic,with Tommy Walls, Boy Hero!

MagnusP
8th Sep 2011, 10:54
Then there was Bill Sampson, the Wolf of Kabul, and his oriental sidekick Chung with his clicky-ba.

ILS32
8th Sep 2011, 11:29
sabredog

Sgt.Matt Braddock,V.C.was the central figure in I Flew with Braddock.I was given the book on my 11th birthday 1958.For your information the rest of his crew were,
George Bourne the navigator
Nicker Brown the radio operator
Tom Tanner the bomb aimer
Hoppy Robinson the mid upper gunner
Ham Hancock the co-pilot
Baa Lamb the tail gunner
one of the best stories in the Rover and a brilliant book for an eleven year old to read.I found it in the loft a few yeas ago and read it .Its still an enjoyable book to read even after 50 odd years.

goudie
8th Sep 2011, 11:34
Ah! Yes, I remember the Rover well. Sgt.Matt Braddock,V.C. was another of my heros.

Molemot
8th Sep 2011, 12:16
I, too, recently found my ancient copy of "I Flew with Braddock" and re-read it...great yarns! Pity they didn't have a sequel...although I have found a brief appearance By Sgt. Braddock in "Tuesday's War" by David Fiddimore....a good yarn in it's own right! The tales of Braddock were eagerly awaited in the "Rover" and it was a bit of a battle between my father and I as to who would get it first....

Blacksheep
8th Sep 2011, 12:27
Mostly Braddock flew the Lancaster but as I recall, he did a tour on Mosquitos. George Bourne stayed with him as his navigator. He didn't trust anyone else.

tony draper
8th Sep 2011, 15:01
Pansy Potter, Desperate Dan, Bash Street Kids,Lord Snooty and his Pals,Korky the Kat Biffo the Bear Dennis the Menace,Beano and Dandy if I recall correctly.:rolleyes:
Recon the VIZ comic has done so well because it latched onto the same format that was familiar to my generation.

Storminnorm
8th Sep 2011, 15:08
I can't recall Matt Braddock flying Lancasters at all!!!
It was always Mosquitos when I were a lad.
The Rover and the Adventure were my favourites.

Bravo73
8th Sep 2011, 21:56
As a kid in the 60's, the Commando and similar war comics held sway for me. Beautifully drawn, aircraft and their crews and interiors down pat, and all the Germans said were 'arrggh', 'Gott in Himmel' and 'Achtung, Spitfire!'. Occasionally a Brit was shot down and was told, 'for you, the war is over', before he stole an Me 109 and escaped.

If you want to reminisce some more, Commando comics are still going strong:

Commando Comics - For Action and Adventure (http://www.commandocomics.com/)

You can also buy several bound 'compendiums' from places such as Amazon. They are roughly a tenner for a reprint of 10 editions, normally based around a certain theme. :cool:

HAWK21M
8th Sep 2011, 21:58
Tintin
Archie
Richie Rich

MagnusP
9th Sep 2011, 09:27
So nobody's owning up to Judy or Bunty, than? :p

Nopax,thanx
9th Sep 2011, 14:29
"So nobody's owning up to Judy or Bunty, than?"

My sis had them, I was an Eagle fan meself(although I do confess to sneaking a peek at Judy to see what gurls were all about :) )......now, I do dimly remember a comic (short-lived) in the mid 60's that had an inept Luftwaffe fighter jock by the name of Messy Schmidt. Wish I could find out more....

MagnusP
9th Sep 2011, 14:40
NoPax: a quick giggle search of messy schmidt took me to an interview with Joe Colquhoun and another character called Wild Bill Hiccup. Might that be the one? I can't see the site from here (non-business-related). Might be worth a look.

ILS32
9th Sep 2011, 15:07
The interview with Joe Colquhounis gives a good insight how the old comics were produced and published.It also mentioned some other old comics of that era which I don't remember.The Tiger,Lion,Magnet and the Champion.Do any of you remember them?

surely not
9th Sep 2011, 15:33
Hotspur and Hornet were the two comics that I enjoyed the most when a young lad. Alf Tupper the gold medal winning athlete who ran in plimsols!! Beetle Bailey might have been in one of them as well.

Commando were good mags but I was more into Air Ace.
All the German I know was learnt from those magazines!!

ILS32
10th Sep 2011, 20:59
For those of you who like modern comics,Google 50 best comic book characters to find the No1 comic book character.Captain Haddock and the Mekon are in there.

B Fraser
10th Sep 2011, 21:11
and another who had a radio controled miniature army

Admiral Drapes Sir, I recall that character was General Jumbo who appeared in either The Beano or The Dandy. Do I win a prize ?

Vercingetorix
11th Sep 2011, 07:50
oor Wullie and the Broons in the Sunday Post with the Annual as a Christmas present.

Capetonian
11th Sep 2011, 07:54
Weren't there some comic characters with fairly dodgy names, like Master Bates, and Seaman Staines? Edit : and Roger the Cabin Boy!

tony draper
11th Sep 2011, 08:10
I think you may well be right Mr Fraser.one shall googalize it.
Spiffing morn here one has just stood at me front stoop having a ciggy in the sunshine.
:)
Yup,looks like you are correct Mr F but this page says the 1970s??,much earlier than that one thinks,stopped getting the beano in the mid fifties.
General Jumbo | The Beano (http://www.beano.com/retro-beano/general-jumbo)
Ah right, just noticed,it says started 1953,that's more like it.
:)

skwinty
11th Sep 2011, 08:23
My favourite was General Jumbo and his radio controlled armed forces.:cool:

ILS32
11th Sep 2011, 08:29
Master Bates and Seaman Staines were supposed to be part of the crew of the Black Pig.featured in the BBC cartoon series Captain Pugwash..They weren't it was one of those urban myths.There was another one on the Beeb which sounded like some form of sexual perversion and that was called Noggin the Nod.

tony draper
11th Sep 2011, 08:33
This is the other one I remember The Iron Fish,dont remember any girlies in it though,we urchins didn't aprove of girlies except perhaps Pansy Potter the strong man's Daughter.
:rolleyes:
The Iron Fish (http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/i/ironfish.htm)

Capetonian
11th Sep 2011, 08:34
Noggin the Nod.
Reminds me of a postcard a friend sent me from one of the Greek Islands. It had a picture of man holding a sheep in a rather awkward and self-conscious manner, with one hand underneath it, and was entitled : "Wilking the Cheep"

Tankertrashnav
11th Sep 2011, 09:07
Noggin the Nod.

Tut ILS and Capetonian - get it right, he was Noggin the Nog. His adversary was Nogbad the Bad. Sort of ineffectual Viking, as I recall.

Hobo
11th Sep 2011, 10:12
and Rockfist Rogan my hero...I somehow doubt that you could have a character called that these days gouds....

No one has mentioned Health and Efficiency, I think that might be called a comic....it was certainly part of some friends' of mine junior reading...

B Fraser
11th Sep 2011, 10:41
http://www.scottish-places.info/images/p1201.gif

Jings, crivens, help ma boab !

larssnowpharter
11th Sep 2011, 10:57
Used to spend hours pouring over those wonderful exploded diagrams of, say, a Comet, in the Eagle.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the 'Tough of the Track' and his diet of fish and chips yet!

ILS32
11th Sep 2011, 11:31
You always knew when it was Christmas your favorite comic book annual would be wrapped up and under the tree.One year I got a Petula Clark Annual from one of my aunties I still don't know why.

goudie
11th Sep 2011, 11:46
....it was certainly part of some friends' of mine junior reading...

Hobo I too had a friend:rolleyes: who used to indulge in reading 'Spick and Span'. Dunno why it was called that. It were filthy!

Cacophonix
11th Sep 2011, 12:01
[QUOTE]All the German I know was learnt from those magazines!!/QUOTE]

Yes!

Useful words like "Himmel, Donner und Blitzen, Teufel, Schweinhund, Englander and Aargh"... ;)

Caco

goudie
11th Sep 2011, 13:14
All the villains were of Eastern European origin. They were swarthy and had close knit black bushy eye brows, which was a dead giveaway as to their villainous intentions.

Useful words

Not forgetting Achtung, Achtung!

skwinty
11th Sep 2011, 13:55
Martin's Marvellous Mini and Battler Britton was another favorite.

Slasher
11th Sep 2011, 18:12
All the German I know was learnt from those magazines!!

And not forgetting Spitfeuer, Hurrikan, mein gott, RAF schwein, schnell, dumbkopf.

Sorry.....the last two I learnt from Hogan's Heroes.

B Fraser
11th Sep 2011, 18:26
Jahowl Herr Oberst !!!!! For you, ze war ist over nein ? und I vill ask ze questions.

I guess today it would be comic strips where the German finance minister would say "Please zetzen sie down Mr Popadopolous, ve haff vays of making you take ze Euros".

Thank goodness todays kids have Viz.

ZOOKER
11th Sep 2011, 18:58
Slightly later, (mid 1960s), my favourites were The Beano, T.V. Comic and the Gerry Anderson based TV21.

ricardian
11th Sep 2011, 20:12
Knockout magazine had Ernie Entwhistle and Charlie, his pet caterpillar. One comic had "Shocker Jock" who could give folk an electric shock. But my very first comic was "Tiny Tots" which was a great reading aid because all the words were hy-phen-a-ted.

vulcanised
11th Sep 2011, 21:39
Just so long as you didn't end up speaking that way !

Capetonian
11th Sep 2011, 21:44
I used to work with a German guy who schpoke Englisch just like the people from those comics and third rate American war movies. I vus zinking he vus ze piss taking venn first I am him schpeaking hearing, zenn I find out he ist nicht ze piss taking. He was painful! He is the only German I have ever met who didn't speak good English, and who was rude, smelly, and incompetent.

4PON4PIN
12th Sep 2011, 13:54
Cripes!! Yaarroo!! 4 pages before Billy Bunter gets a mention with his favourite expletive following a caning from Quelch!!
I remember a character who had a hefty history book with loads of illustrations. He could turn to a page and he and the reader would be immediately transported to a "mini adventure" within that historic scene. Portable time-machine....magic:ok:

crisso
12th Sep 2011, 14:17
"Slightly later, (mid 1960s), my favourites were The Beano, T.V. Comic and the Gerry Anderson based TV21":ok:

Also, I would include the Valiant from that era as well.

Another plus of our younger years (i.e. the early and mid 1960's), was the additional Summer Special editions of our Comics. I can fondly recollect clutching my favourite(s) of the above, en route to the Isle of Wight by train, for our annual Summer Holiday.

Duckeggblue
12th Sep 2011, 14:40
Ah, Valiant yes!
Mytek the Mighty
Captain Hurricane and Maggot Malone - never a dull moment.
Before PC stopped the mention of pigdogs and spaghetti eaters. Can't think who they were referring to now ..... ;)
Sigh.... Do they actually have comics these days?

Liobian
30th Aug 2012, 17:51
This would appear to be the only relevant thread, so permit me to ask if anyone else has been listening to the repeats of JiS on BBS radio 4 Extra ?
I can just about recall my dad enjoying the original broadcasts and I have BBC cassettes of The Red Planet which are good for long car trips. It's often struck me that Jet Morgan was a bit of a bossy b---er, regularly picking on the radio operator, Lemmy. Anyone versed in the niceties of CRM care to comment ?

Windy Militant
30th Aug 2012, 18:12
TV 21, The Victor and the last hurrah of the Eagle when it was merged with Lion magazine and for a bit of edumacashion we got the Look and Learn.
I still think the centre spreads that my brother had pasted round his bed head of the X15, Hawker Hunter, Super Sabre, Bell X1, and DH Comet are still behind the great big wardrobe that was put into our room when we finally moved out. there were even some ripping yarns in L n L Jason January, The Trigan Empire and a story about First world War Flyers whose title escapes me at the moment. Also some cracking features which were Illustrated by the legendary Wilf Hardy.:ok:

Edited they ran Asterix the Gaul strips as well.

mike-wsm
30th Aug 2012, 18:57
Ah, such happy memories! I was only allowed to read the Eagle, because the editor was a reverend, which made it ok in my mother's eyes. Wonderful stuff! Dan Dare gave me a taste for science fiction and the cutaway centre-spreads gave me an awareness that all machines had working innards.

Pugwash appeared much later. I can confirm the use of naughty names by its medical student creators, who never thought they'd get away with it. Even the name "Pugwash" is suspect, being the medical name for that mixture of male and female juices which makes a wet patch in the bedclothez.

500N
30th Aug 2012, 20:00
Like Slasher in an early post, the Commando comics
were the one's I liked to read.

tj916
30th Aug 2012, 20:20
Anyone remember Action and 2000 AD? Both banned in the 70's by the Mary Whitehouse brigade.

dochealth
30th Aug 2012, 21:04
Any advice as to where I might source some original Victor comics?
Thanks

500N
30th Aug 2012, 21:33
An hour on Google is well worth it and even ebay, changing the search parameters each time
to see what comes up and only open those that are good hits,
then when finished searching, have a read of all of them and then start again.

Ascend Charlie
30th Aug 2012, 22:35
So why is there no mention yet of The Phantom, who was always punching out the lights of thick-necked, crewcut, broken-nose thugs ("Phantom rough on roughnecks - old jungle saying")

And Mandrake the Magician, his faithful Nubian sidekick Lothar and the delightful Princess Narda. Mandrake could gesture hypnotically and anything could happen. Funny, Lee Falk drew both Phantom and Mandrake.

Loved the Commando comics, and also Battler Britton.

In Oz, we had Fatty Finn, Ginger Meggs, and Radish the Racehorse in our Sunday newspaper comics.

mike-wsm
30th Aug 2012, 23:00
Liobian

Journey into Space

Lemmy was there as a plot device to explain technical points. The author would have Jet explain to Lemmy, thereby explaining to the listeners. In that post-WWII era it was natural for there to be a 'bossy' officer class and a subservient underclass.

The author was Charles Chilton, who had done Riders of the Range for the Eagle. He never planned ahead, so each episode was an ad hoc extension of what had gone before, which explains why it never seemed to get anywhere.

reynoldsno1
31st Aug 2012, 00:06
My Dad always insisted on vetting "The Eagle" every week to ensure it was suitable for us kids to read ...

Pilot of the Future - Dan Dare & Digby
Riders of The Range - Jeff Arnold & Luke
Secret Agent - Harris Tweed & Boy
Luck of the Legion & Cpl Benet

... mmm, there seems to be a pattern emerging here:uhoh:

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2012, 00:16
http://www.pprune.org/6583236-post64.html

Davaar
31st Aug 2012, 01:31
the Wolf of Kabul

Yes, One remembers the Wolf! And there was also a preternatural geriatric named Wilson, aged 150 or so, who was always running the 100 miles in 20 minutes or so. Could be, you know.

There were "Boomerang Burke, the No-Gun Mountie", a chap confused as to his identity, rather, and then strictly for sneering at, "Musso da Wop -- He's a Big-a-da Flop". I suppose that must have been pre 1943, when he lost his job.

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Aug 2012, 01:43
The Afrikaans papers in SA had Adoons-Hulle (Adonis and them) by T.O Honiball.

http://www.stellenboschwriters.com/adoons.jpghttp://www.stellenboschwriters.com/vioolspelerg.jpg
http://www.antiquarianauctions.com/img_tmp/img/lots/1342709360_P1140132.JPG650650b.jpghttp://static.flickr.com/78/247418341_9131adefc8.jpg

Brilliant stuff.:ok:

Slasher
31st Aug 2012, 02:02
Betty and Veronica! :E

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA4bcEprpel22gUeH_o_wW30-99LxP4IzW4OmaVQ2bggUKW0Hs

Pinky the pilot
31st Aug 2012, 02:12
What, no mention of the Disney comics?

For me it was Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Mickey and Goofy etc etc.
Even my Dad would read them!:}

And The Phantom.*

Slasher
31st Aug 2012, 02:36
* Ghost who walks.

V2-OMG!
31st Aug 2012, 02:42
Whenever I wanted a comic book, I was given a newsmagazine. My parents were "different." :(

A few years ago I was at an airline collectibles' show and stumbled upon some "Career Girl" comics featuring stewardesses as they were called then. I thought they were a hoot so purchased a few.

Typical dialogue...."Nothing says 'good job' like a nice firm slap on the backside."

Politically incorrect as 'ell today, which makes them so funny, accidentally!

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21796710/403802106.jpg

Pugilistic Animus
31st Aug 2012, 03:43
Does my dad's collection of porno mags count?

:}:ouch:

Slasher
31st Aug 2012, 03:46
"Nothing says 'good job' like a nice firm slap on the backside."

Sure does! :)

Those 5 Company regs Lydia's going on about are -

1. Kissing (and potential groin-rubbing) in front of boarding pax
2. Not wearing those day-glo jacket thingys on the apron
3. Tessa smudging her lipstick - busting a hostie grooming policy
4. FO Bollard not doing the preflight walkaround like he's s'posed to.
5. And he's wearing a dark suit top and not a uniform jacket

Arm out the window
31st Aug 2012, 06:08
"Put this over your nose and mouth and breathe normally."

Groundbased
31st Aug 2012, 06:21
Slightly later, but in the late 70's early 80's I used get something called Tiger (incorporating Scorcher) which seemed to contain a lot of derivations of the characters already mentioned notably:

Martin's marvellous mini
Johnny Cougar
Roy of the Rovers
Billys boots
Hot shot Hamish
Skid solo
Tallon of the track
Typhoon Tracy

I also used to love the Commando series.

mike-wsm
31st Aug 2012, 06:39
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q594/mike-wsm/pprune/d110f06c.jpg

After a couple of years of the Eagle I was weaned off comics and told I could have a magazine instead. I chose the Meccano Magazine because it had Meccano models and Hornby Dublo trains. The cover pictures were magnificent, I recall a lovely photo of a Gloster Meteor in a power dive.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q594/mike-wsm/pprune/7cbbe02e.jpg

After that, when visiting our local surplus store to buy bits for crystal sets which I soldered together using a gigantic solid copper soldering iron heated over the gas cooker until the flame turned green, I got hooked on the 'Radio Constructor'.

Pugilistic Animus
31st Aug 2012, 06:42
Mike-wsm
I see you had a real childhood...:8:ok: