PDA

View Full Version : Glaring security breach on the part of Air Canada

rotornut
7th Sep 2011, 12:38
Canada News: Apparent security breach irks air traveller - thestar.com (http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1050152--apparent-security-breach-irks-air-traveller?bn=1)

westhawk
7th Sep 2011, 17:15
How does anyone know that the bags weren't scanned and hand searched?

Maybe they were and maybe not, but that is one of the ways that baggage can be moved without it's owner. As far as I know, ALL baggage is subject to such procedures whether the passenger accompanies the baggage or is aware of it or not.

I get that publishing these sort of stories is de rigeuer for news outlets from time to time, but does it really do anything to keep the security watchdogs on guard or convince the reader that xyz publishing cares?

I wouldn't expect to see a followup story unless the passenger never sees his bags again!

WillDAQ
8th Sep 2011, 11:31
Somebody should stick to "data security" I think.

radeng
8th Sep 2011, 12:00
Surrely once his bags had been scanned or whatever for hem to fly on the same flight, it doesn't matter whether they go with him or on another flight? They can be no more of danger just becasue they're on another flight.

ExXB
8th Sep 2011, 18:08
Er, Hello ...

Positive bag matching may have been a wise strategy in the 80's, but in today's era of suicide bombers (think shoe bomber and undi bomber) it is no longer so.

Bags travel without their owners often both intentionally and unintentionally, however no one can know, or even guess when this might take place.

No security breach here, this isn't even news.

Dont Hang Up
9th Sep 2011, 15:09
The rules are effectively supposed to mean that passenger and bags cannot become separated by any means that the passenger may themselves contrive. Becoming suddenly indisposed as seemed to happen here (which can be readily feigned) is an example of this.

If passenger and bags become separated through a problem outside the passengers' control (such as the bags failing to make a transfer) then there is no issue with them travelling on different aircraft.

While I take the point that none of this is a deterrent to the suicide bomber, I guess there are still more #conventional# terrorists out there who need to be discouraged.