PDA

View Full Version : Essendon Landing Fees

major_tom
7th Sep 2011, 11:19
Hi all,
Quick question:
If I were to fly from Moorabbin to Essendon (VFR), join the circuit but overshoot/go around then track back for Moorabbin, would I be charged a landing fee?

cheers
Tom

JustJoinedToSearch
7th Sep 2011, 15:00
Almost certainly.
They have an 'approach only' charge which is used primarily for people shooting an ILS without touching down and is about half the price of the landing fee, but I'm pretty sure if you did what you suggest they would charge you the approach fee.

I remember reading something somewhere that said "fees for private towers (i.e. Essendon)"

I never quite understood this, I just assumed YMEN was an Airservices tower like all the others, does anyone have any info on this?

Fieldmouse
7th Sep 2011, 21:59
I think the Aerodrome Landing Fees Act 2003 imposed by the Vic state government gives airport owners the right to charge for airspace. I may be wrong, I hope I'm wrong and as someone involved in airport management I reckon it's dead wrong. Does someone know for sure?

John Eacott
7th Sep 2011, 22:03
Essendon Airport Fees (http://www.essendonairport.com.au/ImageBank/Downloads/Schedule%20A%20-%20Aero%20Fees%201%20July%202010.pdf) as per the last post, introduced by the Victorian Labor Government to allow private airfield owners to charge for airspace use. :rolleyes:

Training Flight Fee

Fixed wing aircraft or a rotary wing aircraft that does not touch the runway, $12.00 (plus GST).

How the heck this was allowed is beyond me :(

If you operate an aircraft that isn't on CASA's list, there is also this:

Fee for Aircraft Not Registered In Australia or on the Register of Aircraft Maintained by the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Aircraft not registered in Australia (ie not registered in CASA’s publically available aircraft registration database) must, in addition to paying the above fees, pay a fee of $39.00 (plus GST) per monthly invoice.

Fieldmouse
7th Sep 2011, 22:26
Thanks for that John. Wow, what a disincentive.

LexAir
8th Sep 2011, 03:28
Perhaps the wilely Mr. Fox had something to do with the implementation of the Act?:suspect: