PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express again!!

Cornish Jack
6th Sep 2011, 20:13
Personally, I'm quite happy using standard e-mails but SWMBO cannot cope with anything other than Outlook Express. Her machine died a couple of weeks back and the replacement refused to operate OE. After much inexpert fiddling, I have managed to get OE receiving mail but it won't send anything. The 'fiddling' involved (ultimately) digging into brain depths for previous POP3 and SMTP details (WHATEVER THEY MAY BE :O) Having reached the (shallow) depth limits of my OE expertise, do any of the gurus have any useful pointers, please?
TIA

Capetonian
6th Sep 2011, 20:19
Outgoing server : mail.btinternet.com (for example)
Outgoing mail server requires authentification : yes (tick the box)

Advanced tab :
Outgoing mail SMTP port 587
This server requires a secure connection : no (untick box)

Those setting work for me on my laptop wherever I am and whatever ISP or Wifi or Broadband dongle I'm using.

BOAC
6th Sep 2011, 21:10
CJ - to answer your query we need more information. Unfortuately it is not quite as simple as C says.

OS on wife's machine
Email server (the bit after the @ )

What exactly do you mean by "I'm quite happy using standard e-mails" - what does that mean to you?

Cornish Jack
7th Sep 2011, 10:35
Thank you C'N and BOAC.
OS is XP and she uses her email address from the original Freeserve - now transmuted to Orange with an @fsbusiness.co.uk tag.
My meaning was that I don't operate via OE, but just send and receive emails direct through my (two Internet providers ago (if that makes sense?)) old Tiscali account.
I suspect that life would be MUCH simpler if I set up a couple of hotmail (or similar) addresses but SWMBO has an attack of the 'vapours' if presented with anything new!!:sad:

BOAC
7th Sep 2011, 10:44
Ta - try looking at this

Orange email settings | help & support | Orange UK (http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/231637)

Hopefully no vapours

Cornish Jack
7th Sep 2011, 14:51
Thank you again, BOAC. I've copied that and will see if it does the trick.

Cornish Jack
12th Sep 2011, 11:18
Apologies if this is being a pain but I'm still trying to set up SWMBO's OE account AND FAILING!!:( I've used BOAC's very helpful reference and followed the instructions line by line but the end result is the following error message -
An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 193.252.22.140 (193.252.22.140:25), connect timeout', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67
Unfortunately, that might as well be written in ancient Gaelic as regards understanding it. Can anyone translate or point out possible problem areas, please?
(OS XP, logged on to Orange while setting up a new account and 'normal' email direct through Orange works fine)
TIA

BOAC
12th Sep 2011, 14:00
Check you have entered the email address correctly-
Your dial up and email username will be in one of the following formats:
yourname.orangehome.co.uk
yourname.wanadoo.co.uk
yourname.freeserve.co.uk
yourname.fsnet.co.uk
yourname.fsbusiness.co.uk
yourname.fslife.co.uk
yourname.fsworld.co.uk
You chose the 'yourname' segment when you registered with Orange, Wanadoo or Freeserve.
Please note: @fs should not be used in email or webspace settings
I noticed you quoted @fsbusinessetc earlier?

osmosis
12th Sep 2011, 23:27
Cornish Jack, read BOAC's post about "." & "@".
I have had similar problems to yours when I inserted an "@" in my own mail server strings instead of "."

Cornish Jack
13th Sep 2011, 14:14
BOAC and Osmosis - Very many thanks ... we have lift-off!!:ok::D. Your advice(s) plus a confirmatory call to Plusnet (God bless UK-based helplines!!) and all was revealed. Main problem was the inclusion of 'smtp' in the outgoing field - for Plusnet, it is left out!! Additionally the user name was incorrect as you suggested. All now working as advertised and SWMBO happily clogging the internet!!:{

BOAC
13th Sep 2011, 14:53
God news, CJ - keep SWMBO sweet! I'm a little puzzled as to why Plusnet are involved in any settings for emails. This is the first mention you have made of them!

OFSO
13th Sep 2011, 15:25
Not advertising but a recommendation based on how often I get that wretched message
An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.xxx.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.xxx.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect
etc etc.

Of my two accounts, my yahoo account is far the more unreliable, such messages appearing all too often on Outlook Express for forwarded mail.

On the other hand, my google account (I whisper this in case it hears) has never failed in this manner and is always connected to Outlook Express.

And needless to say, if you are going to use an ANDROID device, googlemail is the internet to use.

Cornish Jack
13th Sep 2011, 21:30
Apologies BOAC - given my intellect (sharp as a football!!) I've only just realised that I failed to mention that our ISP is Plusnet!!:ugh::ugh:Perhaps if I keep taking the tablets, all will be well :O
OFSO, thank you for the suggestion (undoubtedly good) but given that I (at long last) have a VERY good ISP with excellent help service, this sleeping dog will remain lying down - and dozy, as usual!:zzz::zzz: