PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Tank Weapon on my Vehicle

rgbrock1
6th Sep 2011, 17:16
Howdy all!!!

I'm baaaack!!!! Yup, after almost 2 months of not posting to these hallowed boards I've found some time in my rather lengthy day, to post!

The new job is going great however, the daily commute between East Windsor, Connecticrap and Da Bronx, NY is trying my patience. (250 mile daily round-trip.)
Driving through New York is not a problem. It's the CT driving that would try even the patience of the pope.

Therefore, perhaps someone can give me some ideas on how I might mount an anti-tank device on top of my little 'ol Honda Civic?!!! I'm sure I'd need thousands of rounds of ammunition because the list of probable targets is endless.

Here's a very small smidgen of what I deal with on a daily basis:

1. It's raining. Uh-oh, I must slow down. Preferably to a speed no greater than 35mph. In the left hand lane. Otherwise, if I drive faster, I might die.

2. The Truck Race. (preferably to be performed going up hill) Truck #1 is merrily tooting along in the right-hand lane when truck #2 has decided that he can drive faster.
Enter the left-hand lane. Drive 3.2mph faster than the truck in the right-hand lane. So what if I have a line of cars behind me, 39.5 miles long. I'll win this race

3. Grandma and Grandpa. WTF are you two doing on the road during rush hour? Huh? Can't you wait until after you finish your Geritol regime? have you nothing better to do than coast along in your Cadillac, in the left-hand lane of course, doing 23.2mph?

4. Secretary Sally. Decides to drive along applying her makeup, newspaper propped up on the steering wheel, and texting all at the same time. Steering wheel? Hands? What's a steering wheel for? I use my knees.

5. A**hole. Decides that I'm taking too much space in the left-hand lane with my lowly Honda Civic so he zips around me in the right-hand lane, cuts in front of me and then gets stuck in the same traffic as me. But at least he's made it one car length more toward his destination. (These drivers usually get the finger from me. And a few words of.... encouragement.)

6. I'm Afraid. Truck in the right-hand lane cruising merrily along. Car tucked in behind decides to pass. sort of.
Gets abreast of said truck, in the left-hand lane of course, and decides: that's it. That's as far as I'm going with this. If I pass that truck I MIGHT DIE. Therefore, I'll stay right here next to him where he can't see me in his mirrors. At least I'll be safe like this. Otherwise, I MIGHT DIE.

So, yes ladies and gentlemen, if you read in your newspaper something along the lines of "Commuter driver goes nuts",
that'll be me.

lock and load: 90 rounds HEAT. Gunner, left.

Lonewolf_50
6th Sep 2011, 17:28
rg

Taking this exercise on a practical application stream of thought ...

Cheaper to use a LAAW/LAWS (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/USAF_M72_LAW.jpg/300px-USAF_M72_LAW.jpg)rocket.

Mount with brackets to the roof, aligned with car's center line, bore sighted. If you need a pivot, a ball joint should do the trick: you'll want to aft mount to be releasable via a t-handle and cable set up, sort of like the parking brakes of old.

Simple toggle trigger, puch up, mounted in your roof.

IIRC, you need to arm it before you begin driving, disarm upon stop. May need to rig a simple light switch style on-off into the arm/disarm feature. (Been over thirty years since I fired one, I can't remember all of the features. Your Ranger training doubtless stood you in good stead in this regard. Good light infantry anti-armor capability.)

I suspect a few are available if you dip into the underground arms market. Caveat emptor, and of course the Feds might take a dim view of all this. :p

Suggest you mount it within one of those roof-rack-mounted-luggage-carriers that they sell to use on mini-vans.

Cover and concealment, to be effective, must be continuous. :E You'll want the element of surprise going for you if your RoE permits a shot. :ok:

galaxy flyer
6th Sep 2011, 17:32
Welcome back, Rgbrock

Connecticrap, the gift that keeps on giving

GF

green granite
6th Sep 2011, 17:32
Wouldn't it be easier to move? :E

rgbrock1
6th Sep 2011, 17:38
Thanks for the suggestions Lonewolf: much appreciated.

I was reading your reply with a sense of humor (hard to keep these days.) when I came upon that word. (how dare you even write That Word.) Minivan. Mini Van. MiniVan. miniVan. I dream about Minivans, Lonewolf, did you know that? Minivans. I see them everywhere. On the road. In my dreams. As I sit in my office.

I even have the privilege of driving behind them. Minivan.
MiniVan. Stan the Man drives a Minivan. Fran the hagged house hag drives a Minivan. With the kiddies in back. And Fido the dog too. And a DVD player to keep the kiddies and Fido entertained.

As Stan the Man, or Fran the Hagged House Hag, drives the minivan. In the left-hand lane. The left-hand lane of the highway belongs solely to Stan the Man. Or Fran the Hagged House Hag. Built soley for their use.

I love being in the left-hand lane doing 19 mph behind Stan.
Or Fran. Watching their brats acting up in the back of The Minivan. Watching Fido tring to bit the head off of one of the brats. (Go Fido Go)

But what is Stan, or Fran, doing in the Minivan, in the left
hand lane doing 19 mph during rush hour. You know, those times of day when people who actually work for a living need to get to work? Why Stan why? Why Fran why?
Oh my.... oh my.

Here's a little something for you Stan, or Fran, the next time I encounter The Minivan in the left-hand lane doing 19.1mph during rush hour. I think I might find a heat signature somewhere in The Minivan. And then Stan, or Fran?

Buh-bye!!!!!

rgbrock1
6th Sep 2011, 17:39
Galaxy:

Yup. The Great Satanic State of Connecticrap. The gift that keeps on giving. Just like diahrrea.

ChristiaanJ
6th Sep 2011, 17:42
rgbrock1,
Interesting one.....

The real issue is that your ASMM (Anti-Sods Motorway Missile) will have to not only obliterate the target, but also remove the debris from your path.
(It already was a problem in WWII, when successfully shooting a V1 would usually find you with a nasty mess in your radiator.)

AFAIK James Bond has some nice gadgets in that line, but I'm not sure Q fully solved that problem either.

I have a Honda Civic too... but I haven't quite worked out yet how to avoid being splattered with 30 tons of over-ripe tomatoes after a Fox Four on one of those damn Spanish lorries on the A9....

Let's all team up and design a Jet Blast ASMM.

CJ

PS Lonewolf suggested 'one of those roof-rack-mounted-luggage-carriers'. I was thinking of that too... after spotting lots of those on the motorway yesterday, now that all the tourists are migrating....

rgbrock1
6th Sep 2011, 17:42
Yes, Green Granite, it would be easier to move. Much easier.

Wanna buy a Condo in East Windsor, CT? No? Why not?
Seems no one wants to be a Condo in East Windsor, CT.
I no unnerstand. C'mon Green Granite, I'll pay you to take it!!

(Hint: if you Do decide to take me up on my offer to pay you to take The Condo In East Windsor, Connecticrap. The State Which Keeps On Giving, I would suggest enlisting the services of the 8th Army. you'll need it.)

Cacophonix
6th Sep 2011, 17:49
Therefore, perhaps someone can give me some ideas on how I might mount an anti-tank device on top of my little 'ol Honda Civic?!!! I'm sure I'd need thousands of rounds of ammunition because the list of probable targets is endless.

Welcome back RGB. I don't envy your commute and your idea has international implications!

I can see it being used often on the N2 (SA), the M25 (UK) and the West Coast road in the Cape (SA).

Die taxi drivers...

One target, one missile, one man... (coming soon to a freeway near you)...:E

The target...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIc75ygI3relpxmvkcp-EI1LJzP8R3P8UguHOcWlLV1dRZspCjBg

Edited to say that those Cape Town taxi drivers are shooting at each other... Welcome to SA.

lomapaseo
6th Sep 2011, 17:55
Welcome back.

I bet you lost all your power in the hurricane as well

You seem angry and up-tight

perhaps you should be thinking of drinking and driving

The job may be great but your lifespan is gonna be much shorter.

There is always your bike :)

Tankertrashnav
6th Sep 2011, 17:58
250 miles a day commute in a Honda Civic?

You really are living the American dream aren't you?

You have my sincere condolences :(

stuckgear
6th Sep 2011, 18:06
Hey RGB welcome back...

Now, traffic and vehicles to deal with it....

The connoisseurs choice... the Unimog with snow plow attachment..

http://www.unimogsales.com/um-accessories-images/U300-winter.jpg

They even make a version as a double cab..

just pile those mini-vans to the road side !

rgbrock1
6th Sep 2011, 18:06
loma:

Angry and up tight? Me? Naaahhh. (No, we didn't lose our power in El Hurricano. My kids' mother and step-father lost their those. For 6 days. Hardy-hardy-har-har. Poop on that one.)

Angry and uptight? Why didn't you write up tight and angry instead? Huh? Trying to set me up aren't you? All of you, you're all trying to set me up. I won't have it. I won't have any of it. Meet me at the next MiniVan (not Mini Bar mind you) and we'll deal with this man-to-man. (With Stan, but not Fran.)

Angry and up tight? Just because my jugular takes 18 hours to fall back in place after my commute does not an angry man make.

mini vans. Bombs. Missiles. Explosions. Blood and guts everywhere. Eeee-haaaa.

A Happy Camper.

G&T ice n slice
6th Sep 2011, 18:18
If you're driving on concrete (rather than blackstuff) ..

as you plod along at 19.0001 mph behind the idot(s) in front...

have you noticed that as you go over those joints in the road it slwly changes from clunk..clunk.. clunk..
and starts to sound just like kill.. kill.. kill

or is it just me?

Lon More
6th Sep 2011, 18:22
http://www.hemmy.net/images/funny/balloonrockets.jpg

Close up to someone, with these in tow. They'll move over guaranteed.

rgbrock1
6th Sep 2011, 18:26
nope. It's not just you. I hear those same sounds all the time. I thought it was just voices in me head. Seems somewhat collective now. I think you're onto something there!!!!!

Lon:

Excellent. What an excellent idea. I shall, this coming weekend, rig something like that on the Civic.

Watch out CT drivers. HERE I COME... MOTHER... TRUCKERS......

stuckgear
6th Sep 2011, 18:27
can see it being used often on the N2 (SA), the M25 (UK) and the West Coast road in the Cape (SA).

Die taxi drivers...

One target, one missile, one man... (coming soon to a freeway near you)...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Oh great Caco. you know that a fart on the M25 requires under H&S the frigging 4 lanes in both directions to be shut down until a highways agency vehicle takes a mosy along to the scene and start a four debate about what to do.

The target...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIc75ygI3relpxmvkcp-EI1LJzP8R3P8UguHOcWlLV1dRZspCjBg

Edited to say that those Cape Town taxi drivers are shooting at each other... Welcome to SA.

Ah the 'Commuter Omnibus' the other gift that keeps on giving! Brrrrrrrr !

Cacophonix
6th Sep 2011, 18:38
Oh great Caco. you know that a fart on the M25 requires under H&S the frigging 4 lanes in both directions to be shut down until a highways agency vehicle takes a mosy along to the scene and start a four debate about what to do.

Your point is well taken Stuckgear! Seems your Unimog is better suited to the M25. Just push all the buggers, including the HSE out of the way! :ok:

Soon be on one's way again (as if anything happens soon on the M25). ;)

Caco

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Sep 2011, 20:16
LiveLeak.com - Rebels have their Gunfight at the Tripoli O.K. Corral

Funniest bit is around 0:56 when the genius with the 106 recoilless rifle shreds his truck and almost fires a coil into his shorts. No doubt RGB would do a better job of mounting his one...:}

dead_pan
6th Sep 2011, 21:02
What was the cause of this little fracas? Did their neighbour refuse to turn the telly down or something?

Looks like fun though.

lomapaseo
6th Sep 2011, 21:06
Funniest bit is around 0:56 when the genius with the 106 recoilless rifle shreds his truck and almost fires a coil into his shorts. No doubt RGB would do a better job of mounting his one...

Did you notice what it did to the back sides of the truck? That's a hell of a recoil blast when it gets trapped in a small area.

stuckgear
6th Sep 2011, 21:09
Funniest bit is around 0:56 when the genius with the 106 recoilless rifle shreds his truck and almost fires a coil into his shorts. No doubt RGB would do a better job of mounting his one...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Jesus H.. i think i just wet myself laughing.. and the dipsh1t in the blue t-shirt and the other ass clown.. firing at an apartment building.. it looked more like they were trying to down a high flying pigeon for lunch :ugh:

Noah Zark.
6th Sep 2011, 22:41
If that's Happy Hour in Trip, count me in for a pot-shot or two!

Howard Hughes
7th Sep 2011, 03:00
rgbrock1, have you tried valium?:E

I gotta say I do have a particular loathing for the people who shoot up the right lane (left in our case), expecting you to let them in when the lane ends.

**** OFF, you can stay where you are!;)

lomapaseo
7th Sep 2011, 04:17
I gotta say I do have a particular loathing for the people who shoot up the right lane (left in our case), expecting you to let them in when the lane ends.

**** OFF, you can stay where you are!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

We've been through this before on JB

I say that if there is a lane open .... use it, that's why they built multi-lane roads.

When it comes time to merge, make it appear like you have waited graciously for others, before barging in. It looks better that way as most will not remember it was your car that passed them a few mintues earlier and the guys 200 yards back will be cursing the air for naught since you can't hear them.

11Fan
7th Sep 2011, 04:33
Welcome back bro. Been meaning to drop you a line. Same-o here. Cheers.

Howard Hughes
7th Sep 2011, 06:10
When it comes time to merge, make it appear like you have waited graciously for others, before barging in.
I will do the oops, didn't see you there, sorry mate wave, as I don't let you in!;)

MagnusP
7th Sep 2011, 10:10
I married my anti-tank device. She's very anti-tank, especially if the needle is in the red. :{

glad rag
7th Sep 2011, 10:43

Merge in turn, funny how almost every other country can manage it.

I also bet you get really pissed off waiting at roundabouts, queuing to turn left (or vice versa for those who drive on the wrong side) when someone with intelligence and knowledge of the highway code drives to the front of the RH lane, indicates right, drives right round the roundabout and continues on their way. :ok:

DancingOnTheCeiling
7th Sep 2011, 15:16
you could try one of these :E

http://sigshack.net/uploads/fullsize/9fbb8970c26971bd19e8867d9b28972bd05ae971e3733f2408d9b7186b29 bc13.jpg

11Fan
7th Sep 2011, 15:18
One Hump or Two?

Lonewolf_50
7th Sep 2011, 20:29
rg, I must confess to you that I do drive a mini van (11 years old) since the missus has decided to drive the sportier car. I do not indulge in Fran/Stan tactics, however. Them sorts of folks are what cause unrest. :mad:

Mechta
7th Sep 2011, 21:22
I used to get so fed up with people pushing in at one particular roundabout on my way to work (As Stuckgear will know it, The Six Bells), that I made a big sign on a stick with 'Hey **********, try queueing!' to hold out the car window.

With hindsight it might have been more effective if I had hung it from a garden fork, points outward...:E

osmosis
7th Sep 2011, 22:21
http://s1.bild.me/bilder/030611/thumb_9607788stallion1.jpg (http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9607788stallion1.jpg)

Nani
8th Sep 2011, 06:02
Ditch the Civic and arm yourself with this lovely set of wheels.;)

Dailymotion - Richard Hammond - Marauder Test - wideo z kana (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjlfrq_richard-hammond-marauder-test_auto)

Howard Hughes
8th Sep 2011, 06:15
Merge in turn, funny how almost every other country can manage it.

I also bet you get really pissed off waiting at roundabouts, queuing to turn left (or vice versa for those who drive on the wrong side) when someone with intelligence and knowledge of the highway code drives to the front of the RH lane, indicates right, drives right round the roundabout and continues on their way.
No and no, doesn't bother me!:ok:

On the first subject, ya just don't get it, it's not the merging that I have a problem with, it's the arrogant impatience, it causes a lot of the traffic problems.

To the courteous drivers I tip my hat.:ok:

PS: I love these type of threads, I can imagine individual posters driving style...;)

stuckgear
8th Sep 2011, 08:04
rg, I must confess to you that I do drive a mini van (11 years old) since the missus has decided to drive the sportier car. I do not indulge in Fran/Stan tactics, however. Them sorts of folks are what cause unrest. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Lonewolf, you got hardpoints on that minivan ?

hellsbrink
8th Sep 2011, 16:12
RGB, I believe I have found the solution but you need to buy a Porsche

http://www.imcdb.org/i309878.jpg

rgbrock1
8th Sep 2011, 16:55
and the winner is.... Hellsbrink.

Although I do not have a Porsche I am quite certain I could figure out a way to mount
something similar to the roof of my Civic.

I bet I have free reign in the fast lane as well!!!!!

11Fan: nice to be back in such a prestigious group as this!

ChristiaanJ
8th Sep 2011, 17:46
'Herself', who does own a Porsche (truly, a 928, not a 911), had only one question.
"Where do I buy the conversion kit ?"

CJ

stuckgear
8th Sep 2011, 19:16
'Herself', who does own a Porsche (truly, a 928, not a 911), had only one question.
"Where do I buy the conversion kit ?"

I would not have one on mine. you bet your life the main dealer maint cost would be a bitch.

an S2 or S4 ?

Lonewolf_50
8th Sep 2011, 20:49
stuckgear: yes, hardpoints on the roof.

LAW is a recoilless rifle sort of thing, so hard points not all that necessary for other than stability and security of the mounting.

Why do you ask? :E

stuckgear
8th Sep 2011, 21:15
Why do you ask?

from a Texan i'd expect nothing less :E

SMT Member
8th Sep 2011, 23:25
Having spent considerable time, to the tune of at least 10 seconds, pondering over this essential problem, I came to the conclusion a Honda Civic, nice as it may be, just won't cut the mustard. At least not if my devious plan is to be carried out.

As we all know, there's a war going on in the 'Stan, and where there's a war there are things breaking down, getting pushed aside waiting for the fixers. They often push things aside near airbases, and as we all know there's loads of commercial freighters going in and out of those places. So what needs done first is a little mission involving a pair of motivated grease monkeys, a sharp pair of spanners and the quick liberation of a Bushmaster off a stranded Bradley.

Next up is a plough, addressing the need to get rid of debris clocking up the road. Yes, with the right vehicle (and I do have one in mind) you can drive over the odd Subaru or Pontiac, maybe even scale a F-150, but it'll soon mount up and become difficult to pass. And surely one major point of the exercise is to increase speed. The other being to rid the planet of chavs, scum, lane huggers, Stan, Fran and anybody else who's in the way.

Last, but certainly not least, we'll need something to mount the Bushmaster and plough on, and I shall refer to the learned poster who suggested the Marauder - truly a vehicle worthy of the task at hand. It is sadly inevitable the law will notice what's going on, and it's equally inevitable they'll misunderstand things and start chasing you down. That's when it's nice to know you can drive over 200 grams of plastic, suffering only from a tyre being blown a bit off its wheel. The ability to withstand 50 cal fire is also not to be dismissed.

I appreciate the financial implications my plan has, which is why I suggest you seek sponsor to help fund the necessary acquisitions. Blackwater might be up for it, or Kombat if you speak Russian. I would also recommend you engage a very agile team of defense lawyers, just in case your day in court has a MiniVan drivng jury.