PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Perks

Captain-Beanie
6th Sep 2011, 16:36
Hi All,

Just a curious one, and let's face it, none of us are paid enough and need to make use of all the 'perks' available to us!

Has any one made use of the CPL/ATPL license when traveling on holiday as passenger, and been given any upgrades, access to lounges, etc, etc,

Heard the Americans are pretty good at giving out upgrades where available, but I'm on the other side of the water!

Any experiences welcome!

CB

HOGE
6th Sep 2011, 16:51
I imagine the experience would be summed up thus.

Please do not ask for an upgrade using a CPL/ATPL, as a "f@*k off!" often offends!

Fareastdriver
6th Sep 2011, 19:43
Join a union; flash your BALPA card. Got me ungraded a few times, even on Air Korea.

Garfs
7th Sep 2011, 09:41
On a recent(full load) flight in an A320 I was given the choice to move frm my seat in cattle class into the cockpit for the duration of the flight.

When I boarded i was still in my work clothes (white shirt minus tie and ****** bars), a friendly chat with the Captain and i was offered the seat, so I didnt ask as such . Time sure passed a lot quicker in front

Ascend Charlie
7th Sep 2011, 10:06
In the USA some years back, I was on a business trip around the world and travelling business class (company paid for it, and it was GREAT!!), and I paid for my wife to come along too, but could only afford Zoo class for her. I asked a Big Mama at the AA checkin counter if my wife could be upgraded to sit with me for the leg Atlanta - Washington, and she asked , "on whut basis would you be requestin' this upgrade, suh?"
"Err.... sympathy?" said I.
"Ah's fresh out of sympathy today, suh!" she said, but upgraded her into the last business seat left on the flight. There's customer service for you.:ok:

A week later, travelling with Oh-So-British Airways from Washington to London, I was sitting in a B777 and counted 34 empty business seats. I called over the purser and explained the situation and requested that my wife could perhaps leave the sardine section down the back and come up front. The plummy reply was "Oh, NO, sir, we couldn't do that!!!! It would set a precedent!!":ugh:

ShyTorque
7th Sep 2011, 19:47
The plummy reply was "Oh, NO, sir, we couldn't do that!!!! It would set a precedent!!"

For what? Customer loyalty?

Bravo73
7th Sep 2011, 20:22
Has any one made use of the CPL/ATPL license when traveling on holiday as passenger, and been given any upgrades, access to lounges, etc, etc,

If you've got a BAA airside pass, you can get 10% off food and drink in BAA airports. (Not including booze, though).

Wahoo. Livin' the dream. :E

krypton_john
7th Sep 2011, 22:46
Ascend Charlie - I totally see your point ... but....

From the POV of those paying big money for their business class seats - they cherish the fact it is half empty. They do not want anyone legging it in from the cheap seats just because it's not full in business. If an airline had a rep for doing this they'd soon start using another airline.

However the cabin/checkin crew can and should use their discretion but sparingly so as not to piss off the money.

If you don't spend the money you don't have any moral justification for being aggrieved at not getting upgraded.