PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure Flights

Cunliffe
6th Sep 2011, 16:12
One thing I still enjoy at my relatively advanced age is an interesting pleasure flight once or twice a year. I am hoping that some of you might be able to point me in the right direction. I am looking for flights that involve an interesting aircraft or interesting scenery or peferably both. Flights must be in the UK.
I live in the East Midlands, close to Sywell, so not much spectacle here but a lovely airfield.
Thanks for any suggestions.

treadigraph
6th Sep 2011, 17:18
Classic Flight (or Air Base) at Coventry do rides in Rapides, Doves, etc, if you haven't sampled these beauties. Can't comment on the local scenery tho!

Did their Rapide from Shoreham last year, magic!

Spit161
6th Sep 2011, 18:02
"Classic Wings" do flights from Duxford (and Cambridge) in Tiger Moths, Rapides, an Extra 200, and a Harvard.

The Harvard is rather expensive but worth it - trust me :ok:

renfrew
6th Sep 2011, 18:32
If you fancy a trip up to Glasgow we can offer a very special pleasure flight.
Loch Lomond Seaplanes take off from the Clyde not far from the city centre, down river past Dunoon and Rothesay and up Loch Fyne,then over the hills to Loch Lomond.
I did it last year and it really was a very special experience.

west lakes
6th Sep 2011, 19:15
One hour "trial lesson" in a Gyroplane over the Lake District! Operates from a local airfield

WILCO.XMG
7th Sep 2011, 00:17
I've never been on one but would really like to get a go in a sea plane. Perhaps that might tickle your fancy.

NorthernChappie
7th Sep 2011, 09:37
Orkneys? The round trip on an Islander to Papa Westray / Westray.

Twitcher
7th Sep 2011, 11:52
Or how about going up in a Boeing Stearman from Manston along the white cliffs of Dover.

Cunliffe
7th Sep 2011, 12:45
Thanks for your suggestions.
I flew in the Twin Pioneer at the Coventry Airshow a few years ago but I didn't realise they were still operating pleasure flights from there. The Dove is definitely on my wish list so I will try to arrange something since Coventry is a relatively short drive for me.
Cliffs of Dover sounds good and reminds me of the microlight flight I had from Sandown on the Isle of Wight earlier in the year. Lovely views of the Needles.
The Glasgow seaplane is already on my list, just need to find an interesting way to get there. Isn't there a Dash 8 flight from Birmingham?
Regarding the Rapide, it was the first aircraft I ever flew in, a pleasure flight from Heathrow as a very small boy around 1950. I recently mentioned to someone that I was thinking of booking a Rapide flight and they suggested that in that case my first and last flights might end up being in the same aircraft. I'm not superstitious but it did make me think.

Otto Throttle
8th Sep 2011, 09:39
You're quire correct. Flybe operate a number of flights each day between Brum and Glasvegas. If you've never flown on a shopping trolley, there's your chance - just have a number for a local chiropracter handy for the landing. ;)

one11
9th Sep 2011, 18:42
If contemplating Glasgow then Flybe could also book you onwards to Barra for the Twin Otter beach landing but you need to check the time and tide tables.

The SSK
12th Sep 2011, 09:00
If you're willing to fly to Glasgow, why not to Amsterdam, where you can fly a Catalina and/or An-2 out of Lelystad?

Spit161
12th Sep 2011, 10:40
On this topic: do the Commerative Air Force still do flights in a Liberator etc.. in America?

603DX
12th Sep 2011, 12:26
Spit161:

Don't know about CAF historic aircraft pleasure flights, but the Lone Star Flight Museum offer rides in a B-17 Flying Fortress, a Mitchell, a Mustang, a Stearman and a Texan (Harvard, to Brits).

Cunliffe
12th Sep 2011, 14:42
Now the PBY has jumped to No 1 on my list.
Unfortunately I can't open the booking page so am unable to work out how much mortgage I need to apply for!
So many temptations, so little time.

Thanks all

Dave Barnshaw
12th Sep 2011, 16:07
You could try the An2 at Popham,I have flown in that many times to different air displays.:rolleyes:

V800
12th Sep 2011, 17:47
If you are looking at the Catalina in Lelystad the booking part of the web site is only on the Dutch language section, look for Rondvluchten.

I booked my flight by e-mail a few years ago paying cash on the day.

JEM60
12th Sep 2011, 20:56
Liberator trips can be had with the Collings Foundation in the US.

Old and Horrified
16th Sep 2011, 16:04
Do you fancy a helicopter ride? Tomorrow (17th) Whizzard are offering flights from Barton (Manchester). If you go, say hi to the pilot (my son)

Cunliffe
20th Sep 2011, 10:58
Sorry O&H, only just seen your post.
Sorry again but choppers are not really my thing but thanks for the info.

Cunliffe