View Full Version : Queen's English

Chuck-ski
6th Sep 2011, 15:02
Hi All !

This is meant to be a fairly light-hearted thread, I am not looking for a fight ! :}

So:

Through reading the various threads on recruitment & airline jobs I was surprised about occasional comments on poor grammar, spelling, punctuation etc.

I am not talking about spelling on the forum - as we know the standard on the forum is ummmm, relaxed ? What I am referring to, is actual written applications for FTO's, airline interviews and airline cadet schemes.

It seems to me that despite the professional nature of the aviation industry there is still a number of applicants that make simple, glaring mistakes, and effectively prejudice their chance of success - Is it really true ? I would love to hear from people who are involved in the application processes for airlines or FTO's.

I'm just curious that's all, and hopefully do not sound snobbish.

Finally, please keep all your replies grammatically correct ;)

WILCO.XMG
6th Sep 2011, 15:10
I dont have the information you are looking for.

However in many lines of work. Quality of English, unless it isn't your first language, shouldn't effect your application too much.

Did you know they stopped teaching the " I before E, except after C " rule in primary schools. Too many irregulars for it to be a "rule".

Union Jack
6th Sep 2011, 16:00
This is meant to be a fairly light-hearted thread, I am not looking for a fight!

Maybe so, Chuck-ski but, particularly in view of your comment "Finally, please keep all your replies grammatically correct", you should be aware that your own post runs the risk of attracting the attention of the apostrophe police!:)

High-higher
6th Sep 2011, 16:40
"there is still a number of applicants"

Or is it "there are still a number of applicants" ? :}

Cahlibahn
6th Sep 2011, 16:41
there is still a number of applicants

there are still a number of applicants, surely?

Halfwayback
6th Sep 2011, 17:31
No - there still is a number!

or

There are applicants

However it should be FTOs - no possessive case!

The words 'stones' and 'glasshouses' come to mind.........

HWB

Chuck-ski
6th Sep 2011, 19:43
About my grammar, you are right - but that is how I was learned in school... :}

Seriously though, I checked the two links by City-chump & I can appreciate that there is going to be some lack of literacy when it comes to less-skilled work, like working in a supermarket (no disrespect to literate shelf-stackers), applying for a job flying a 737 & not being able to spell ? :eek: ...come on.

zondaracer
6th Sep 2011, 20:35
"I" before "e" except after "c"... What a weird society.

giggitygiggity
6th Sep 2011, 22:07
However in many lines of work. Quality of English, unless it isn't your first language, shouldn't effect your application too much.Hopefully it shouldn't affect it too much either:E

Edit: Smiley added to not seem too snobby

Rhcriad Bsranon
7th Sep 2011, 08:32
To be precise, sir, you are (being) pedantic (adjective) whilst (conjunction) I am a pedant (noun) for pointing it out.

Where on earth is all this leading? (Rhetorical question) ;)

shagrat
7th Sep 2011, 08:50
Not aviation related but, I remember my form tutor at school commenting on the poor standard of grammar, she was head of English and she said she had applications that weren't correct from English teachers! She also disregarded any applicants that failed to set out a letter correctly.

Hear hear. (not here here)

An application for work is the opportunity to make a first impression, so poor grammar, punctuation and presentation will do everything to ensure it fails to proceed any further.

Pilots, by the nature of their work, should employ a modicum of attention to detail and have some degree of intelligence. Sadly, this is very much lacking when viewing many of the posts in PPRuNe.

Finally, before people start defending their actions by claiming foreign nationality I refer to UK nationals who have no excuse for failing to properly apply even basic English grammar. :ugh:

Union Jack
7th Sep 2011, 09:03
I refer to UK nationals who have no excuse for failing to properly apply even basic English grammar....

..... including those who indulge in the curiously American trait of splitting infinitives?:uhoh:

Jack

shagrat
7th Sep 2011, 10:11
Jack - I disagree.

It was my intention to state 'failing to properly apply' and not 'failing properly to apply'... grammar.

ie, the influx is in the failure to properly apply an action.

DancingOnTheCeiling
7th Sep 2011, 10:34
"I am not talking about spelling on the forum - as we know the standard on the forum is ummmm, relaxed ? What I am referring to, is actual written applications for FTO's, airline interviews and airline cadet schemes."

Actually, as a non-native English speaker, I would prefer standards to be a bit higher so I didn't have to re-read some posts to make sense of them - although I'm sure even native speakers have had trouble with some posts I've seen :ugh:

Lightning Mate
7th Sep 2011, 11:32
....interessin fred this innit....

Roger-Wilco
7th Sep 2011, 12:44
Yeh bruv, u fink so 2?

favete linguis
7th Sep 2011, 12:49
coz i is forin izzit? :E

Rhcriad Bsranon
7th Sep 2011, 13:15
Frankly, folks, I don't give a monkey's whether it's the dashing Lord Flash himself or one of those southern softy (bruvva) types at the controls of my flying cigar, so long as they are competent enough to recover the bl&&dy thing if it suddenly decides to plummet from the skies.

Thats's the hard sums and verbal reasoning tests out of the window then!

Rhcriad Bsranon
7th Sep 2011, 15:55
Srroy Astilair - cluod not uerantsdnd a wrod of it!

Rhcriad Bsranon
7th Sep 2011, 16:30
Told you I couldn't understand a word of it :ok:

Halfwayback
7th Sep 2011, 16:40
Text speak may well play a vital role in the English language of tomorrow

It may - but NOT on this hallowed site!:E

HWB:ok: