PDA

View Full Version : "Re-cycling"

BarbiesBoyfriend
5th Sep 2011, 21:44
It's very clear that here in sunny Scotland (Renfrewshire), our binmen do not give a fugg what is in our bins. They empty Blue, Grey & Brown into the hopper and a passer by might be forgiven for thinking that they're not actually all that concerned about what each bin (blue, black or mauve) actually contains.:rolleyes:

They are of course, completely correct as it all goes in the same hole shortly after it's been collected. Or at least, only the high value stuff (Alu cans etc) is filtered out.

We're a gentle bunch up here, so maybe the bin guys bosses think that maybe the 'status quo' is easier on everyone as that way he won't have any violence visited on him.

Is it like this down in England?

Blues&twos
5th Sep 2011, 21:55
Everything went in the same landfill when I worked on the bins. Except the metal, which went up the scrappies. And the tomatoes, which were carefully stored in the cab as 'grenades' to be used against the other bin crews we passed, as part of a sort of friendly rivalry.

BarbiesBoyfriend
5th Sep 2011, 22:17
Blues....
The voice of experince speaks.

We thank you.:ok:

I must get on with sorting OUT MY RECYCLING...erm, not.

:zzz::zzz::zzz: :hmm: :zzz::zzz::zzz:

:hmm:

Blues&twos
5th Sep 2011, 22:19
Oh, the stories I could tell.

Never, ever upset your binmen.

jimtherev
5th Sep 2011, 22:22
Mind you, it would be difficult to insult them in Barnet. None of them seems to speak English.

Loose rivets
5th Sep 2011, 22:37
Lancaster road Barnet is okay though, isn't it?

DX Wombat
5th Sep 2011, 22:58
We have a great bunch of binmen around here they are usually very cheerful and never seem to drop lots of bits out of the bins to litter the street. :ok:
I often drive past a decorative flower bed provided by the local council. For a long time I thought it bore the brilliant logo "Recycle Bradford". What a wonderful idea! :E Then one day I approached it from a different direction and was disappointed to find that it actually said "Recycle FOR Bradford." :{

hoofie
6th Sep 2011, 06:26
Here in Oz [well in Perth anyway] we have 'bulk collections' once or twice a year. The binmen rock round and will take anyway more or less anything you leave out [branches, grass, bushes, old furniture, metal, crap] etc on the verge for them.

Of course a few bottle of beer quietly handed up to the lads on the wagon makes sure they sweep up after themselves as well. [My old man was a postman and always made sure that the 'post' and the binmen were sorted at xmas for some cash].

We still have the luxury of a weekly collection in a wheelie bin and a 2 week recycling pickup [wheelie bin as well]. No bin nazis that I am aware of check it but it seems to be pretty well observed.

My rates ? Approx 1000 quid a year for a 4 bedroom house plus pool.....cheaper than the f***ing council tax on my last UK shoebox 6 years ago.

SpringHeeledJack
6th Sep 2011, 06:41
It seems to be very hit and miss depending on where you live but if any local authority really do dump everything into a landfill these days, well then there must be a few legal issues for them to have to consider. Morally speaking, to offer and promote something and then knowingly ignore it.....:* I've always tried to recycle and do my bit, what happens thereafter is up to government. In fact since years having to throw away potential recycling in a normal rubbish bin really makes me struggle :{

In other countries I've seen recycling trucks that have a rotating cylinder that sieves through the recycled mix and sorts it into categories ready for further handling back at the yard.

SHJ

Blues&twos
6th Sep 2011, 06:50
We'd take pretty much anything for money. I only ever recall having a problem with a large tree-trunk....the bloke gave us forty quid to take it (forty quid!) and it took all of us to heave it into the hopper. Pressed the buttons and it disappeared into the back of the wagon....job done, easy cash.

Unfortunately, when we got up the tip to unload, the tree trunk had twisted slightly askew and wouldn't come out, which meant nor would all the other waste. Eventually hit on the idea of getting the bloke who drove the Bomag (big spiky wheeled bulldozer type machine) to pull it out using a huge chain. We were lucky it dodn't twist any of the rams. Couldn't really have told the boss "the trunk must have been left in someone's bin".

Aaah, those were the days, fondly remebered! Thanks to Dave, Steve, Paul and Gonzo* for the experience, wherever you all are now.

*I don't think this was his real name.

lexxity
6th Sep 2011, 08:57
I'm in for it then, just complained about my binmen. This morning actually. Firstly they deliberately blocked me into my close, I asked would they mind letting me come past so I could get Leo to school please and was told "tough. wait" So I did. Put the car in neutral and refused to move. Secondly the guy who told me tough had a sweater on that bore the legend C**T! :eek: These were not council guys but contractors by the look of it.

Mechta
6th Sep 2011, 09:04
The crazy thing here is they give a box for PETE and polythene bottles, but if you put in food trays (e.g. from packets of biscuits) marked with the PETE logo the binmen take them out and leave them. The council say they have to go into landfill. The logic escapes me.

tony draper
6th Sep 2011, 09:49
As I understand the lunacy,councils are given a grant to collect recycalable rubbish but buggah all to actually do the recycling,so they collect it, get the coin for doing so then dump it in the hole along with the rest of the garbage.
Thus is the logic of green policies
:)

Keef
6th Sep 2011, 10:03
We got a shirty letter and a threat of a stiff fine for putting glass into the recycling bin at our Norfolk place. We'd not been there for a month, and hadn't put anything in the bin. I often wondered what would have happened if they'd tried to enforce that fine.

I complained about the threat anyway. They promised a reply "in due course". Five years later is still "due course", but we've had no more shirty letters.

G-CPTN
6th Sep 2011, 11:32
In our local area, food containers are rejected as they might be contaminated with food.

handsfree
6th Sep 2011, 11:40
Was so with us G-CPTN but they now accept food trays. Why the change ? No idea.

In my bit of Leicestershire vegetable peelings in the green bin are a no no. Two miles away on the other side of the river in Derbyshire you are encouraged to. Why ??
No idea.

Not that I care anyway, veg peelings go in my compost bin.

G-CPTN
6th Sep 2011, 11:57
Darn Sarf (Snaubins) they accept food waste for recycling, whereas hereabouts, food waste may not be placed in the garden material recycling bin!

Further study of our local rules reveals that the only plastics that they recycle are bottles.
I suppose it makes it simpler for those sorting (they collect paper and plastics combined).

Even if I segregate plastic bottles from newspapers (and I do) it all gets dumped into the same truck when collected (or the same skip if I take it to the recycling centre)!

1DC
6th Sep 2011, 12:20
Sister and I live a few miles apart, she in NorthEast Lincolnshire and me in Lincolnshire. We can't put glass in the bin but can do plastic, she can't do plastic but can do glass, each week when we meet up we exchange our glass and plastic and use the appropriate bins.
I must say if we go to our local recycle depot with stuff it is almost a pleasure to go there, very friendly people who help you unload and sort your stuff, however if we go to the one in NE Lincs it is like dealing the SS., treat you with suspicion and assume that you are too thick to put the stuff where they tell you.Don't help but watch you and tell you off if they think you haven't done it right.

C130 Techie
6th Sep 2011, 19:08
Just awaiting delivery of another wheelie bin. That will make 3 plus a kerbside box. This bin is for cardboard and plastic bottles only. We already have a recycling facility for these items 10 mins walk away.

With a pocket handkerchief sized garden it's getting ridiculous.

The council were very helpful simply suggesting that we should make every effort to accommodate the new arrival:rolleyes:

gingernut
6th Sep 2011, 19:35
Amazing how much cr+p a compost bin can get rid of, with a lttle help from a few worms and their mates.

Anyway, for the record, handcart (market) Dave of Altrincham invented re-cycling...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSCN6168.jpg

in his glory days.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/dave.jpg

missed round Alty Dave.:)

A A Gruntpuddock
6th Sep 2011, 21:24
"deliberately blocked me into my close"

Off -topic but that happened to me once when a contractor's 6-wheeler blocked the road, making everyone drive up on the pavement.

Just took my notebook off the sun-visor and carefully started noting the time, contractors name, vehicle registration, etc and suddenly there was a space!

Worrals in the wilds
6th Sep 2011, 22:51
My original idea, expressed for many years on similar threads, is to have prisoners stand athwart a conveyer of trash passing society's detritus, collected from the bins, gleaning the material of recyclable value passing in front of them.That's actually a paid job, here anyway. I knew an out-of-work actor who had a position at a local recycling plant doing just that.

They used to hand sort the contents of all the clearly marked recycle wheelie bins (they have a list printed on the lid FFS) and he said some of the things that got thrown in them would make your stomach turn. Dirty nappies, used needles, three week old sausages and similar were regularly chucked in recycle bins by the good residents of Logan. We have a warm climate and the recycle bins are only collected once a fortnight, so you can imagine the :yuk: factor.

It's false advertising, but after his stories I can see why a lot of councils probably don't bother separating it all out but just sneak it into landfill. :(

troppo
7th Sep 2011, 00:08
Dirty MRF (no relation to Papa MRF and Mrfette).
Most councils in Australia, NZ and UK use them.
It is not a case of sneaking it to the landfill, the transport costs for the collector and the costs to operate a sanitary landfill are enormous. Everything that can be recycled from the mixed waste is sorted and separated.

Blues&twos
7th Sep 2011, 06:59
This blocking of the road thing...unfortunately, it's a necessary evil. I was accused of deliberately blocking roads while I was driving bin wagons, but realistically I had no choice.

The nature of the job is that you move a few yards and stop, move a few yards and stop etc....all day, every day of the week. If I'd had to find a space where I wasn't in the way of anyone, or move the truck every time someone was held up the job would have been impossible. Even half of the time, actually.
The other problem is that it's a very large vehicle having to manoeuvre around all the little side roads where other LGVs normally wouldn't have to, with the crew working behind - the less you move, the safer it is for the lads. The terse response from the driver "Tough mate" may well have been because you were the fifteenth person that day to ask them to move - this happens a lot during rush hour in residential streets and some people can be needlessly unpleasant. Unfortunately, the bins need emptying, people get really shirty if that doesn't happen too.

MagnusP
7th Sep 2011, 09:09
In defence of some councils, I get a blue box for metal and glass, and I've seen the team sorting them as they empty the box into two separate cages on the lorry (rather than just dumping the lot in together).