PDA

View Full Version : which do you think is better?

Zeshan
5th Sep 2011, 21:19
Hola :) hope everyone is enjoying themselves. Anyway just out of curiosity I was wondering (I tend to do that alot),
Which do you think is better in I dont know terms of job availability, conditions, pay, and just general enjoying what you do?
An aircraft engineer
Or a helicopter engineer.

I myself would say aircraft, because I have never had experience of helicopters. But I would love to try it, Im not sure why it just sounds more fun.
So what do you think?

Zeshan
5th Sep 2011, 21:49
:* so nobody? are there any helicopter engineers on the forum? :(

spannersatcx
6th Sep 2011, 07:23
you may get more of a response at airmech.

there aren't that many jobs around at the moment.:sad:

Avionker
6th Sep 2011, 09:33
It may also help if you wait more than 30 minutes for a response before getting shirty.

In both fixed wing and rotary engineering, patience is a virtue. :ok:

Alber Ratman
6th Sep 2011, 14:22
I recieved your PM and will do an open reply. Do you have any recent maintenance experience, if any at all bar anything you did at college? Did you do any modules? I don't think you have by the gist of your PM. No employer will be interested in your services I fear, due to your lack of experience and training that is out of frankly of the dim and distant past. Do you have all the personal tools that is required for the industry? You need all of them before you would be allowed to start. A basic mechanics tool kit required is not just a draper adjustable spanner, you will be expected to have 12 point sockets from 3/16" to 1" and associated spanners of the sam size as a small sample of what tools you will need. Also you need current Human Factors and Fuel Tank Level 2 training that is in date and validated with certificates before any MRO will even consider you to work, even if it was as an unpaid volunteer..

My MRO has turned down ex RAF heavy aircraft experienced applicatants, with all the modules, because they do not have the necessary skill sets and type experience they are looking for. They are looking for people who can run quickly with the minimum of supervision, not guys who need watching all the time. Apprentices take enough time as it is..

Sorry to be so negative..

MATMAX
6th Sep 2011, 17:03
Maybe spending some times on the specialized websites will be a good idea , no ?

Zeshan
6th Sep 2011, 17:51
lol hey fellas, I didnt mean for me applying for jobs i meant just a general census of who prefers what.

lol I apologise avionker will be more patient in the future :oh:

Alber mate many thanks for the info and your right, apart from college I dont have recent maintenance experience, or a tool kit. The fuel tank and human factor training is new to me.
I know where your coming from and I appreciate your time, must be a pain constantly getting questions like mine so thank you. Already sorted out a training facility for the fuel tank and human factor training. Failure or giving up is not an option. Its a pride thing.
Just out of curiosity, what is it you do?

Cheers

Alber Ratman
6th Sep 2011, 18:34
A decent tool kit with all the tools needed will cost you anything from 500 to a grand to buy new tools (and they are middle brands, not Snap On (off)). Draper basic sockets are crap, etc. You want tools that will last the heavy duty jobs they will be doing. EBay might help. You will also need pneumatic tools as not many MROs supply them (mine does, but that is rare!) There will be many ways to solve problems with tasks that you will never have come across, the experienced mechanic will know them. I fear you will be wasting your money with an HF FTS cert, pride doesn't get you the knowledge you will need to start..

BTW I'm a basic AML holding Mechanic at a base MRO, with over two decades involved with military aviation and 3 years base experience on narrow bodies.. Not as much experience as others that frequent this forum but I know a little.

Bus429
7th Sep 2011, 02:09
Wings that go around can't be right; fixed wing is the best. :ok:

Zeshan
18th Sep 2011, 17:58
lol bus what about the apache helicopter then? has both fixed wing albeit with missiles and rotating wings :D.

So Mr Ratman, if you do not mind me asking, how do you suggest I start getting the knowledge I require?

Thanks

Alber Ratman
18th Sep 2011, 21:05
Write lots of letters to every company you can think of, large aircraft or small?? I don't know if anybody might take pity, but if you don't try, you will never get.. Might be worth your while to keep your other business interest going and then join a flying club.. and help doing the maintenance.. start small and see who it goes on. Learn some pracical skills and some general knowledge and see how it goes from there..
But what do I know!

Mike_s
22nd Sep 2011, 19:39
Isn't an aircraft engineer and a helicopter engineer the same thing?

NutLoose
23rd Sep 2011, 01:12
Yes... but different licence categories and different exams for parts