PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines new LCC - info?

shon7
5th Sep 2011, 15:06
anyone know what kind of timeline Singapore Airlines is looking for to launch its new low cost carrier and if a management team has been appointed?

superdunkaroos
5th Sep 2011, 15:19
Operations to start around spring 2012, management has been assigned from singapore airlines and its subsidaries.
Rumour has it the name will be 'skoot' :p

lospilotos
5th Sep 2011, 16:38
Rumour is that CPT pay is 10925 SGD basic + 100 SGD/hour, F/O pay is 5700/70. No accomodation allowance, nor child education support. Income is taxable...

Also, one has to pay for inteview costs (air ticket + HOTAC)

bloodsucker
5th Sep 2011, 18:16
lospilotos, where did you hear the rumours from? And they are beginning to hire so soon?

intake
5th Sep 2011, 19:23
total package for Capt S22k, FO S13k (includes overnight allowance,flight pay, monthly bonus, loss of lic etc...) Interviewing 19-23 Sept. Must fund travel/ hotac for interview. :ugh:

twentyyearstoolate
5th Sep 2011, 19:38
So have invites for interviews already gone out??

Is this insider information or "rumour"?

intake
5th Sep 2011, 19:51
interviews out now.

brasmelzuit
6th Sep 2011, 02:51
guys, where to apply for DEC position?
Tx for advise

Che Xindamail
6th Sep 2011, 05:40
Who in their right mind thinks a low-cost airline named Scoot (wtf?), based in Singapore would pay its pilots more than the mothership pays its pilots?

22k for a Captain??
'monthly bonus'??
Hahahahaha!
There are some serious delusions going around pprune I think.

Think 15k/month after taxes. Nothing left over at the end of the month if you have a family and two kids in school. Five-year contract at 1000 hours/year (legal CAAS limit). Regional? Night?

Draw your own conclusions.

NIK_
6th Sep 2011, 05:43
Hi,

was invited for an interview and screening in September (19th-23rd of September), after receiving the T & Cs I had to decline, 22k for CP and 13K for an FO are based on 80/85 block hours a month, so if you fly less you get less.

Also be aware, no housing and school allowances, taxes up to 20%, you have to pay for your interview (tickets and hotel) to Singapore. They mentioned that you can expect to pay round about 3500-5000 SGD for an 3BR appartment :yuk:, so for an FO with family and kids you won´t be able to safe any money at the end of the month because you need something to eat, pay your insurances, pay for school and what else, what a poor contract!

I stay where I am :=

millerscourt
6th Sep 2011, 09:36
The fact that they expect you to pay for a ticket should give a clear indication that this is a low salary position. Also of course hotel costs and medical too don't forget have to be paid as well.

Are they going to charge for uniforms and CAAS licence as well?

I well remember some delusional Pilots who joined SIA Cargo trying to convince themselves they had a deal as good as Mainline Pilots which of course was nonsense as why would SIA have set up the Cargo as a separate entity except to have a lower Pilot cost base which it indeed was.

Patty747400
6th Sep 2011, 10:04
Tax rates:

FO- 13000/ month - 156000/year - Tax 8,7 %
Capt - 22000/month - 264000/year - Tax 12,3 %

Of course there's no housing or school allowance. They are aiming for local crew. Plenty of guys in Tiger that are looking for a wide body rating.

Poor contract? Maybe if it was an expat contract. It's not, and for a local it's pretty good.

Patty747400
6th Sep 2011, 10:19
"why would SIA have set up the Cargo as a separate entity"

Main reason: To get rid of main line FTL:s which were badly suited for Cargo.

If you factor in that almost every Cargo captain hired was an expat the unit cost per captain wasn't much lower than before the split.

Total remuneration for an expat captain in cargo has been about 10 % lower than for main line but that's mostly due to less flying hours. There are other things that are worse in Cargo though; staff travel, leave days and the fact you can't use the school allowance outside of Singapore.

MACESJR
6th Sep 2011, 11:30
Hi,
Anyone invited for DEC. interview?
Cheers

paulsalem
6th Sep 2011, 11:48
Nik,

How many days off per month?

millerscourt
6th Sep 2011, 11:50
Patty747400

As Tiger is partly owned by SIA do you seriously think they will offer positions to Tiger Pilots. It would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If there any expats left in Mainline on the B777 perhaps they will not renew their contracts thinking they have no choice but to join this new outfit??

NIK_
6th Sep 2011, 12:11
Hi,

I don´t know how many days off,nothing mentioned about it. I´ve been told by the e-mail that more than 600 pilots applied for the new position, if rated or not, I don´t know.
Annual leave is 28 days a year, thats all that I can tell you.

I had a very nice reply by the new chief pilot, because I wanted to explain him my reasons, in that context he said that they will recruit over a period of 5 years from now, so if I am still interested I can apply again later on.

Thats all

:ok:

bluepacific
6th Sep 2011, 16:43
Anyone got the website address for the recruiting company ?

twentyyearstoolate
6th Sep 2011, 17:27
I had an application in, but have heard nothing.

Anyone have an email so I can contact them?

Patty747400
6th Sep 2011, 23:52
mc

You might be correct in respect of the Tiger guys but I have heard that some have been invited for an interview. And, yes, some main line guys that hasn't been offered a renewal have applied as well.

gottofly
7th Sep 2011, 07:21
NIK

Any idea how much money they are planning to deduct if you are non type rated on the 777.are they inviting ppl without rating currently?
the advert that I saw on the flightglobal site said sgd 3900 for housing and 1900sgd for kids schooling within SIN.is that correct?

A380 Jockey
7th Sep 2011, 12:47
Where did you get THAT info gottofly...??
Mind posting the link.

gottofly
7th Sep 2011, 13:29
the first mention of SIN low cost came in the flightglobal website job section through which I applied for DEC position.This was about 6 wks back but I havent heard from them till now.I am a B737 driver so maybe they are currently only calling rated guys.
The housing and schooling allowance was mentioned in the ad below...sorry but I dont have the link.
maybe someone else can help us on the same.good luck

Patty747400
8th Sep 2011, 06:08
gottofly

I think you have read the numbers for SIA Cargo. I'm pretty sure there were no HA or SA for the new LoCo mentioned in the ad.

However, if the salary mentioned here is correct it will be about the same as what SIA Cargo pays including their HA. Without to many children in an international school it's not too bad.

rockamora
8th Sep 2011, 09:28
So whats the contact mail or phone number where I could send my CV for DEC ?

Chocks Away
8th Sep 2011, 10:19
Over subscribed for any endorsed DEC's already, let alone those not endorsed but hopefull.
Patty mentions part reason earlier.
Happy Landings:ok:

Hey Driver
13th Sep 2011, 02:03
Shaping up to be a decent job, pay is similar to Jet Star or SQ National Terms without a large bonus.

They seem to have been a little stingy with leave.

Starting with Asian/Australasian Ops should see a good beginning. Personally can't see long haul making money so if they continue to go down that route don't count an a bonus.

Be cautious of coming to Sing with school age children, international schooling will significantly increase your cost of living. It would also be good idea to check if there is actually places available for your choice of school.

Two kids at school, accommodation and car will be 100k before all your other normal expenses.

As a start up pay could be an issue until operations get into full swing.

Some questions to ask before you sign up.

Family health cover? What will it cost you and what will it cover?

Are rostered days of firm or are they grey like SQ. Unlike Jet Star in SQ if you are on standby before a “Day Off” you can very easily lose it. Jet Star will offer you SGD800 to forgo the RDO.

When does a rostered day off start and finish, SQ is midnight to midnight. Nice for a 0105 departure.

Staff travel, is it the same as SQ, SQC is different, if it's like SQ only Captains (not FO's) can pay extra to travel Business or First? As SQ will not upgrade you to get you on a subload EY ticket can be an issue in peak travel periods. As it is if there is a Low Cost on the route it will be cheaper than SQ economy staff travel.

Singapore in a great place to live, though there's no place like home.

Cheers.

R8TED THRUST
26th Sep 2011, 11:15
Good day Gents,

Does anyone have any contact info for this SIA LCC? I have tried several links with no joy!

Thanks...

Pin Head
26th Sep 2011, 14:42
anyone heard anything? sent my cv to the flightgloval link a couple of weeks back.

twentyyearstoolate
26th Sep 2011, 15:20
I think the guys screened so far are ex SQ, or know someone. Maybe outside applicants will start to hear something soon.

The gents who have screened are staying very quiet.