PDA

View Full Version : DC3's in South America

Levraimatt
5th Sep 2011, 15:03
Guys, I'm trying to evaluate the number of DC3's still flying in South America. I'm in Colombia, there's a good bunch still flying but I'm not sure about the other countries. If you guys have ideas, it's for an article for The National Geographic. Thanks !

Gooneyone
6th Sep 2011, 00:42
About 6 of them parked in San Juan, PR (TJSJ) slowly rusting away. It's a real shame (I used to fly a few of them with another company in the area).
Haven't seen any flying in the Eastern Caribbean recently.

Mike_Italy
6th Sep 2011, 10:21
Not sure if this has already been posted but here's an interesting documentary about DC3's in Colombia:

The daredevil pilots of Colombia - Risking it all - Al Jazeera English (http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/riskingitall/2011/05/201151112305049621.html)

brisdude
13th Sep 2011, 15:47
I hear (rumor) that an ex RAAF one that was pulled from PNG service and worked in South America commercially and continues to do so (at least it is viable the RAAF donated 6 to PNG Air Force who sold a few on) though rego etc I haven't heard of anything of, interesting though - It'd be nice to know the origins and dates of service to the RAAF, I would guess 40s or 50s (they had a couple going until the late 70s).

Or maybe it is just a story the old boys like to tell... There is one doing well in Tanzania I hear...

Nostalgia..All we have left I think!

Levraimatt
13th Sep 2011, 16:49
Most of our DC-3's have been built in the war time, not sure about RAAF airplanes still flying here though...