PDA

View Full Version : a320 Type Rating cost 2011

shon7
5th Sep 2011, 13:04
any good deals on an A320 type rating (initial).

Flyer1015
8th Sep 2011, 02:44
Best price I've found is Pan Am

FAA Airbus 320 Type Rating Course with 40 Hour Ground School

$8,495

thepotato232
8th Sep 2011, 19:08
Seconded for Pan Am - certainly the lowest price I've found, and all done in-house.

BulePilot
11th Sep 2011, 09:17
Has anybody gone through the Pan Am TR for either A320 or B737NG? If so, how was the quality of training, classrooms, sim and other material used? I'm interested in getting typed on the A320, but the low price ($7,495 if doing the home study ground and $8,495 with 40hrs ground school at training center) makes me worried about quality of training/instructors. Hope to get some feedback to help me decide whether signing up (or not). Thanks!

usualguy
11th Sep 2011, 11:39
I paid mine 50'000$ with 6 landings in Europe (airbus syllabus)and I can tell you it s hard and a lot of work..

If you think you can get a rating for less 10'000$ and get employed , good luck but I bet it' s not at the airbus standards for this money.
7000$ is in my point of view just a refresher course.

Jaz and the Fat Man
11th Sep 2011, 13:24
Agreed. No way you can get quality experience with the rubber stamp approach. The 320 is hard work and probably one of the most challenging aircraft to learn, however once that is done, it's the easiest! However, if you need to get recurrent, that's a good deal.

zondaracer
12th Sep 2011, 17:59
Wow, usualguy. It sounds like you overpaid. Besides, a JAA type rating is much more expensive than a FAA type because of the six landings in the aircraft. Even so, I know a place in Germany that can do an A320 rating with landings for less than €20,000, and they have trained many pilots currently employed at major European airlines.

BulePilot
13th Sep 2011, 03:28
Thanks for the comments, but I'm still waiting to hear from guys who've gone through the Pan Am A320 initial type rating course. Hope to hear from some soon. Pan Am's $8495 price tag for A320 type rating is attractive but makes me worry about the quality I'd receive.

zondaracer
13th Sep 2011, 21:13
I wouldn't worry about the quality at Pan Am, but the real concern is if you plan on working in Europe or elsewhere. A type on a FAA license won't do you any good if you plan on working on a JAA license for example. That is why there is a difference in price. JAA type ratings cost much more all around than a FAA type rating course.

Another place you could check out is Higher Power Aviation in Texas. You will find that their prices are about the same and lots of guys go there to get a 737 type before they apply at Southwest, including lots of ex-military guys.

BulePilot
14th Sep 2011, 23:14
thanks zondaracer. No particular need for a JAA A320 type rating. Job requires at least ICAO ATP which includes FAA. But I just wanna make sure I don't pick a training center that has a known bad reputation. I'd rather spend $5,000 more and get a more comprehensive and better quality course. I checked out Aerosim and they seem to be more professional.

I still haven't heard from anybody who's gone through Pan Am type rating before. Not a good sign... Anybody went to Aerosim or any other US based training center?

The Dominican
15th Sep 2011, 21:42
I paid mine 50'000$ with 6 landings in Europe (airbus syllabus)and I can tell you it s hard and a lot of work..

If you think you can get a rating for less 10'000$ and get employed , good luck but I bet it' s not at the airbus standards for this money.
7000$ is in my point of view just a refresher course.

I don't know what is the saddest part of this post, that you paid 50 grand for a type rating or that you actually think this will give you an advantage over other applicants with the same type rating:confused::= For the sake of your career don't ever mention that you paid 3 to 5 times what a type rating cost to another living soul, ever!

macumba
21st Sep 2011, 00:36
:ugh:If the quality of the TR is equally such as the A320 Sales Person from Panam, then I would stay away.

I have never ever heard such an idiotic incompetent person such as Brian answering my questions. Not sure where they get such highly educated sales pitch persons from.

Interrupting me with "hold your fire", telling me they have 100% passing rate with their allocated course, but sending people home that are not cut out to be flying in the sym. There is NEVER a 100% pass rate, ever, unless it is a phony operation where the examiners are paid off .

I have my doubts about this operation, but on the other hand, I hope that Brian isn't also the Sim Instructor at the same time.

Remember, they just recently bought Aeroservice which should explain a lot.

Anyone going through the A320 syllabus lately, please let us know of your experience.

Bearcat F8F
21st Sep 2011, 06:46
I know someone who has just got his from Pan Am. Although it might have been something similar. Not sure. He mentioned Pan Am.

The story is, you get what you pay for. He said the instructors were terrible and you are made to do most of the work yourself and a program like this has a much higher failure rate. This guy had 2500 hours on all sort of stuff before he did the TR btw. So watch out. Might be a better idea to pay a bit extra but receive better quality instruction.

jamaicapilot
21st Sep 2011, 07:33
I recently went through Pan Am and got my A320 type and I highly recommend them. The instructors were great except for one whose accent was a bit thick so a little hard for me to understand but he only instructed ground class for a day then I never had to deal with him again. The overall staff is helpful. There's only one 320 sim so scheduling was tight and I finish 4 days later than originally scheduled (also due to memorial day weekend...). Great price on the 320 type. The quality of training is worth the price.
I'm not sure what your plans are after getting a type but I'll tell you not to be discouraged by negative comments about not being able to get a job afterwards as 1 of my classmates is already flying the 320 and another just started ground school last week...both with no time on type. Its not gonna be easy but it can be done. Hope this helps and all the best.

Popgun
21st Sep 2011, 10:26
The Pan Am $9000 type rating is based on getting through in the minimum time....7 sim sessions.

They have some great JetBlue Instructors but I would only recommend this course if you are already a HIGHLY experienced jet pilot.

Significant self-study prior to arrival for the course is a given in such a compact time frame.

ReverseFlight
22nd Sep 2011, 15:35
I remember seeing the $8,495 price tag in Panam's website last week but this week they have changed the entire look of their website and the price page is gone. :eek:

josmison
23rd Sep 2011, 23:02
Guys

Could we have some feed back about Higher power aviation A320 TR price and quality ?

Also is it possible to combine an FAA ATPL checkride with the a320 TR checkride ?

Prop.Time
25th Sep 2011, 12:25
How bout Aerostar Trainig Services LLC, in Orlando?

Anyone ever heard of this place?

machmikey
15th Nov 2011, 12:36
Yes! $12,500 usd with a sim partner provided by YOU! Otherwise add $500 to make $13,000. That's a new car in some countries........ Self study! Save money!

unimuts
15th Nov 2011, 14:46
Now a new price for JAA €14500 and they wont even tell you a price for the 6 takeoff and landings. Dont know the price for the FAA but it sure is expensive for the JAA rating.

Anyone else with feedback for the JAA training ?

Uni

Pilot_Flying
16th Nov 2011, 20:10
Yes, if you have ATP written exam complete and meet the part 61 requirements for the ATP, the practical test results in an ATP certificate with the A-320 Type Rating - there is no difference in the check since they both come from the ATP and Type Rating Practical Test Standard (PTS).

HPA has good reputation but was allegedly taking shortcuts on type rating checkride - FAA intervened but not sure what happened in the end on that one.

gentleman
17th Nov 2011, 04:14
Got mine at Cae and was not easy.5 week,20 sessions.session=4h sim.
Much better than panam.pic and sic training mean I could buy my 320 and fly my plane tomorrow.
In USA training is for sic only. This is why they're is so much difference i the price.

Never found job after this painful training.
Nobody want 320 driver without hours on type.

carolosm
21st Mar 2012, 12:03
Hi all
I did the type in pan am with self study before hand and i can tell you that the traning is exellent. As usually there is always good instructor and bad ones. As the course progressed we changed 4 ground instructors but that does not mater because you are supposed to have study before hand. And anyway everything is done through a CBT.
Then comes the sim. Usualy the sim instructor is the same unless something happend. The sim itself is good and the instructor that we had was good as well.
I had a few problems understanding the way the Bus worked but after 2 session i got it and everithing whent fine thereafter.
The examiner was very strict and we whent throught everything in 3 hours.
15 days later my friends i got hired in europe with a Validation for a charter company.
Now you want to spend 50000 euro, be my gess.
I spent 7500 and got a job.
You have to know something about typeratings. You will never learn everithing you need on the type. The type help you get a job. Once you get the job then then you strart understanding everything and everything fits together.
Ho one more thing on the licence it just says A320 , it does not say Pan Am , aeroservice and so on..."......

With that be safe and stop biching :D

jamaicapilot
8th Aug 2012, 12:35
"Gentleman" where did you get that statement that nobody hires without time on type? And SIC type only in the US? What are you talking about? My type rating is certainly a PIC type and I am currently in Asia working for an airline with no previous jet or turbine experience. Another friend of mine also got an A320 job in Japan with the same experience level. It's not easy but it can be done. Get your facts straight before you go discouraging people....

Pilotofutur
9th Aug 2012, 05:06
Suppose you are a part-time CFI and also work at Ramp for an airline (Delta, for example); is there any chance to get permission from the Sim dept to use a simulator after you buy a type rating anywhere?
I mean, practice in a simulator when it is not being busy, like 3am.
If the airline approve, it would be free or at least charge the employee 1/3 for the sim hour price?

Thanks a lot.

tainman
12th Aug 2012, 02:35
Jamaicapilot, what minimum time is required to get a job with these companies with no jet or turbine time. Just a type rating and no time on type. thanks

Zhilyaev
11th Apr 2013, 03:26
Don't go there. Interruption between sessions is 1-2 weeks. Schedule department is crap!!! They don't care about you. I spent there 2 month instead of 21 days. Instructors teach you only common items before sim, and after that ask for extra training (1140$-2 hours). Main goal of Pan Am is additional session, minimum 2-3 independent of you successes.
Check ride in very awful circumstances, get you nervous!!! Only 50% pass check ride once. Second one is 3000$

Muhammed91
22nd Feb 2015, 00:18
Hi
Anyone know up to date type rating costs for 737 and A320 the thread I found out if date and any recommendations on where to go