PDA

View Full Version : RAF Tristar over Edinburgh??

cc200
5th Sep 2011, 11:44
Hello,

Im new to posting here but here is goes. Over the past 30mins or so there has been a large military aircraft circling over Edinburgh (been over holyrood park 6/7times) Have had a wee look and it seems to be an RAF Tristar. Also seems to have its front nose gear down but doesnt seem to have its main gear down. Has anyone else spotted this or can throw some light on to this aircraft? Cheers.

craigyecosse
5th Sep 2011, 12:00
Front wheel down and no rear wheels visible

Only seen one commercial flight com in on the flight path to EDI over the last hour and it's circle path seems to be over central edinburgh... thus keeping it away from the commercial traffic

seems to be making a landing attempt now at 1pm... rear carriage seems to be out now

craigyecosse
5th Sep 2011, 12:04
From Twitter

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/860054812/forth_mic_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/#%21/RadioForthNews) @RadioForthNews (https://twitter.com/#%21/RadioForthNews) Radio Forth News

News: Lots of calls re: a plane circling over Edinburgh airport - it's a military plane with injured personel waiting for landing time.

cc200
5th Sep 2011, 12:06
just got word off forth one, was a flying injured personnel home and waiting for a landing time. Questions solved.

craigyecosse
5th Sep 2011, 12:10
I saw that from Forth one too... but there was only one commercial flight came into EDI whilst it circled so I can't believe it was waiting for a landing slot.

I suspect they had some problems with their landing gear which they finally got sorted at around 1pm and then they went for a landing

but anyways... it appears to be down on the ground now

bingofuel
5th Sep 2011, 12:11
waiting for a landing time

Is Edinburgh really that busy these days?

craigyecosse
5th Sep 2011, 12:11
Edinburgh Airport(Twitter)

For those worried about the plane circling Edinburgh earlier, it's landed safely. Flap issues caused it to burn fuel before landing.

Sabre Dog
5th Sep 2011, 12:16
The last I saw of it, it was flying south, I took a picture was as it disappeared. All wheels are down! Just working out how to put it up, as this is my first post.

Can I only link to a picture already posted somewhere on the web?

craigyecosse
5th Sep 2011, 12:27
BBC News - Military jet in emergency landing at Edinburgh Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14789042)

Military jet in emergency landing at Edinburgh Airport

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55165000/jpg/_55165266__304015_tristar300-1.jpg The Tristar is used for transport and in-air refuelling
A military plane has landed at Edinburgh Airport after sparking a full emergency when it developed a problem with its wings.
The military Tristar, which was transporting a serviceman on compassionate grounds, began to experience a problem at about 12:30.
The pilot was forced to fly in a loop above the city with its gear down in a bid to burn more fuel.
Once it was light enough, the plane landed at the airport at 13:00.

cc200
5th Sep 2011, 12:29
As long as all are ok, that all that counts. Got some decent snaps as well, but have lost the camera cable :mad:. View from the crags would have been spectacular.

hagg76
5th Sep 2011, 12:31
From 11.30 i have been observing the same grey military plane ODE][/CODE] filming it. as for landing gear all was down and as for a medical emergency no body would live that long. 11.30 to 1pm. i am in a high rise flat and it was flying directly over me and from what i observed all was ok. i watch the aircraft come past my window all the time and know that this plane was observing not landing even though it had its gear down.

Tight Seat
5th Sep 2011, 12:56
As an ex RAF TriStar driver, the main gear is not always that easy to see when all of the Dunlops are a dangaling.

Christ I miss the old bird!

hagg76
5th Sep 2011, 13:05
Yes sir i thought that may be the case but clearly the 3 where down. i was in a very unique spot as it flew directly over me several times. maybe it was the flaps as it was in the same circular patern over and over. burning fule may be a factor to!

hagg76
5th Sep 2011, 13:24
On another note, if a plane of any sort is having problems, please keep the fixing part over the sea and not the city as it was pretty disconcerting seeing this thing coming at you over and over. Lol

bingofuel
5th Sep 2011, 13:52
know that this plane was observing not landing

In that case maybe laying a chemtrail!

hagg76
5th Sep 2011, 14:12
According to Edinburgh airport the flaps where not working right and had to burn fule of. ? i no they cannot dump fule over the city, butt they can over the sea, witch they where over several times as this was part of the path it was taking. im shure if they also had a medical emergency dumping a little fule over potobellow nobody would notice as it is so polluted anyway. lol

bingofuel
5th Sep 2011, 14:46
Clearly the chemtrail is working, as it is affecting your spelling and grammar which has deteriorated since earlier postings.
It would also seem to have affected the BBC as they are reporting the aircraft performed 'loops'over the city!! Another well researched and accurate piece of media reporting......not!

Sabre Dog
5th Sep 2011, 15:04
Here is a picture of the Tristar on what appeared to be its last circuit. I hope this works!http://freespace.virgin.net/emma.twoowls/RAF%20Tristar%20over%20Edinburgh.jpg

Spit161
5th Sep 2011, 15:46
BBC as they are reporting the aircraft performed 'loops'over the city!! Another well researched and accurate piece of media reporting......not!

What do you expect?
Dodgy reporting seems the norm from the BBC these days!

cheers,
Jake.

Edinburgher
5th Sep 2011, 18:47
I work in the centre of Edinburgh and witnessed said aircraft flying circuits at a pretty low altitude from just past midday. Have to say it was slightly disconcerting at first, as it's pretty unusual to get a wide-body buzzing around central Edinburgh at that height, but when it dropped the U/C for a few circuits, I figured it must be burning off fuel.

Wasn't obvious it was military at first - I was looking at the surface usually directly opposite the tarmac most of the time as went overhead, but I suspected as much when I got back to the office and logged on the net to see no sign of it on flightradar24.com.

Very glad everything came to a satisfactory ending with an uneventful landing. I suspect that some of the good burghs of Leith might have suspected they were about to receive an air-drop of food parcels, such was the A/C height on one circuit... :ok: