PDA

View Full Version : Weather's too bad do finish the PPL

NeilGascoigne
25th Jan 2002, 14:46
Rugby, January 25th. .Still cold and waiting

Dear Ginger,

Weather over past month has been atrocious. Still waiting to do my QXC and skills test here in Blighty. Finding things frustrating. Have only been able to do the odd bit of flying here and there. Minimum hours acquired to get licence and am ready to go!

Anxious to get licence before good weather starts. So, can "crack on" and get a full flying season in. Thought about asking those nice chaps on PPRuNe to see if it would be viable to get cheap flight out to Florida to do the QXC, revision and take the skills test? I wonder if they think this'd be a good idea? Heard that weathere this time of year is excellent.

There's also the very small problem of learning on a different plane to my French old kite. I doubt there are many Robins in America.

Took a look in the back of Flyer magazine recently. I see there are 3 "JAR" schools who may be able to accommodate me, namely

Brittania Flight Centre. .Naples Air Center. .Ormond Beach Aviation

Also wonder any of the aofrementioned nice chaps completed their PPL abroad? If so where and what was it like?

Yours as ever

The Baron. .<a href="http://www.wellaviate.co.uk" target="_blank">Wellesbourne Aviation</a>

tacpot
25th Jan 2002, 17:02
Don't give up on the UK too soon.

I did my QXC on 23rd Dec and Skill Test on 5th Jan. I have had to take time off work to fly when the weather was good, and fortunately my employer has numerous occasions he needs me to work weekends, so I work weekends for free when needed, so I don't lose any holiday entitlement doing this. I'm taking two days holiday off in Feb, a Monday and a Tuesday, so I can go to Sywell for four days to do some tailwheel difference training. I figure that I should be able to get 6 hours flying done in four days - the weather is so changable at the moment there should be some time when it is ok, he says hopefully.

Have you got any Airmiles? BA have some excellect offers on to get you to the States very cheaply.

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do.

WGW
26th Jan 2002, 04:03
Just cos it's winter doesn't mean it's bad for flying. New year's eve in Derbyshire provided some of the best flying conditions I've seen since I started. Don't give up on the UK yet. BTW, I went to Arizona last May to build a few hours - would thoroughly recommend it if you're looking for 350+ flying days per year. Besides, everyone goes to Florida; be a little different.

Delta Wun-Wun
26th Jan 2002, 15:56
Where abouts in arizona did you go and what was the flight school like?

Grandad Flyer
26th Jan 2002, 16:56
I started my PPL in the UK but completed in the USA (did the majority there). Have flown in California, Florida and just about everywhere in between!. .Good idea, loads of cheap flights around right now, check out Virgin's deals and others, including charter companies. I have heard that Naples and Britannia are good but haven't been there myself.. .If you want any more specific info about flying in America let me know!

WGW
27th Jan 2002, 15:36
Double Eagle aviation, Tucson. Not cheap, but very good school. Not JAR-FCL approved though, or at least they weren't when I was there, so finish your PPL first.

Gazeem2
27th Jan 2002, 16:47
It sounds like exactly the same situation I was in last year. Except it was lack of leave that restricted my progress, I have spent so much of it sitting on the ground looking at 800 feet cloudbases!

My last block of leave came round and it was a choice block book flying in the UK or head on out to the states.

I chose the states and got my licence, would I have managed in the UK at the same time? perhaps, perhaps not.

It's a great experience flying in California, interesting scenery, famous places, and if you have all your exams out of the way before you leave blighty you can explore a bit when not flying.

I had already solo'd in UK but it took several hours to get used to a Cessna, so that took my hours up a bit.

Weather wasn't brilliant most days, there is a thing called the marine layer which can prevent VFR well into the afternoon. I had one none flying day.

It's a gamble whether to go or not, just the odds are slightly more in your favour for the weather in the US.

Good luck,

Gaz

Sensible
27th Jan 2002, 18:51
For a PPL at this time of year, I'd settle for Florida. The weather in good ol California can be a bit unpredictable at this time of year. The fog/marine layer can and often is a problem especially to student pilots. Florida weather is just about guaranteed through til around May when the thunderstorms kick in.