PDA

View Full Version : Spooky Weather. End of the world?

blue up
4th Sep 2011, 20:38
3 nights in a row have given us the sight of maybe 200 seagulls, in formation, all flying south-easterly as the sun sets. Rare to see them even though we are close to the coast. On top of that, there have been no little birds on the bird feeders for the same length of time despite them normally visiting in their droves during the day. Is this some sort of 'Hitchcock-esque' indication of the end of the world or of foul weather nearing the UK in the form of Hurricane Irene?
The neighbours had also noticed something odd going on. Our cat sat on their sofa next to their dog. Bizarre.
Does anyone have a copy of plans for a tinfoil hat?

http://idata.over-blog.com/0/01/32/21/hitchcock/alex-greg-the-birds-04.jpg

tony draper
4th Sep 2011, 20:47
Err what's your exact location Mr Blue,just out of curiosity.:ooh:

blue up
4th Sep 2011, 20:53
St Athan. B'twixt Swansea and Cardiff.

tony draper
4th Sep 2011, 20:59
Ah well, it would have to be a big meteorite strike to effect us all the way up here,
:uhoh::rolleyes:

Capetonian
4th Sep 2011, 21:14
Does anyone have a copy of plans for a tinfoil hat?

Jut send me your head size and I'll make you one. I'm quite busy with orders at the moment but am turning them round in about 5 working days. Fr 200 to my numbered Swiss account.

good spark
4th Sep 2011, 21:51
gentlemen its wales, all the weird shit happens there so whats the big deal?

GS

ShyTorque
4th Sep 2011, 21:58
Our cat sat on their sofa next to their dog. Bizarre.

Strange name for a dog.....

BombayDuck
4th Sep 2011, 22:28
Suits me. The less of those feckers on this isle, the better.

Oh crap, just realised, maybe they were heading this way :ooh:

dead_pan
4th Sep 2011, 22:29
On top of that, there have been no little birds on the bird feeders for the same length of time despite them normally visiting in their droves during the day

Autumn migration is in full flow - many of our 'resident' birds (blackbirds, robins) actually head south for the winter to the likes of France & Spain. The ones in our gardens in winter are often Scandinavian migrants. Give it a few weeks and your feeders will be leaping again.

As for the gulls, well they're gathering into roosts for the winter. You're probably seeing them enroute from their feeding grounds to their roost, typically a large lake.

BTW watch out for the autumn wood pigeon migration - you may see large flocks of birds heading south, usually early in the morning. Some coastal locations clock over a quarter of a million individuals passing through, again all on their way to France & the Iberian peninsular.

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2011, 22:35
Don't worry - yesterday I observed a pair of wood-pigeons billing and cooing and then mating, so if they are planning on laying and raising a chick as October approaches, things are looking good!

I mean, wood pigeons aren't stupid - are they?

Capetonian
5th Sep 2011, 07:14
The Indian Chief thought that it was going to be a bad winter so he sent all the braves out to collect wood. As he watched them return laden with timber from the forest he suddenly felt that he ought to check his forecast so he phoned the local met office.

"Tell me, is it going to be a bad winter?"

"Yes" said the forecaster " it will be a bad one"

So the Chief told the braves that they didn't have enough wood and sent them back into the forest again. They returned with more wood but once again the Chief had doubts and he called the forecaster to confirm.

"It is going to be a really severe winter" replied the forecaster.

The Chief look at the wood store, decided that more was required and the braves were dispatched back in to forest. The Chief called the forecaster.

"Are you sure it's going to be a really severe winter"

"Look" said the forecaster "its definitely going to be the worst winter on record - the Indians are gathering wood like crazy!"

Krystal n chips
5th Sep 2011, 07:37
" St Athan. B'twixt Swansea and Cardiff." ......and convenient for Hell.

200 + seagulls you say....:hmm:...I was blissfully unware that St Athan has finally been transformed into a site that is truly fit for purpose..........landfill.....:E

Lon More
5th Sep 2011, 07:47
the yellow's on the broom here. Maybe a hint to the pikeys at Dale's Farm?

rh200
5th Sep 2011, 08:12
Does anyone have a copy of plans for a tinfoil hat? If Capetonian can't get you one quick enough, Jane might know of an express supplier, they probally get theirs made in China.

3 nights in a row have given us the sight of maybe 200 seagulls, in formation, all flying south-easterly as the sun sets. Rare to see them even though we are close to the coast.What you don't know this is a secret experiment by the US government to see if they can control animals, once they have the lower lifeforms down pat their going to start human trials:)

blue up
5th Sep 2011, 08:26
What you don't know this is a secret experiment by the US government to see if they can control animals, once they have the lower lifeforms down pat their going to start human trials

RH200. Already happening. Thousands of Chavs boarding Easyjet/Ryanair flights southwards to Ibiza. Oh, hang on, you said 'lower lifeforms'. :}

Cacophonix
5th Sep 2011, 08:32
I was blissfully unware that St Athan has finally been transformed into a site that is truly fit for purpose

Government tinkering (and stuff up) with maintenance facilities aside, I can't think of any really big landfill sites immediately around St Athan. ;)

Anecdotally I have never met gulls that are more agressive than the Cardiff buggers. Two hundred en masse is a most disturbing thought! Like Caroline Street on a Friday night, only worse! :eek:

Caco

blue up
5th Sep 2011, 08:48
Like Caroline Street on a Friday night, only worse!

Ahhhhhh. Chip alley. Much tidier after the city centre regeneration

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2731/4488828153_74e70a0457.jpg

corsair
5th Sep 2011, 08:49
Deadpan spoiled it all with his sensible explanation but if there's bad stuff coming. It will hit us first. So if Ireland sinks beneath the waves, (Yes, yes I know some of you might think that is no bad thing:=). Then Wales is next in the firing line. :cool:

As it happens there is some bad stuff coming today off the west coast. Just showing up on the weather radar at the moment.

But right now, it's quiet. Too quiet........ as if nature is holding it's breath. Something is in the air, you can sense it. Something indefinable, something terrible. It's coming closer, you can feel it...............and I'm running out of cliches.

Actually it's bit of rainy, windy weather. Look forward to heading out to the Prom and watch the waves crash over the defences into the seafront car park. Nothing like coming back to find your car up to it's axles in sea water.:ok:

vulcanised
5th Sep 2011, 12:06
wood pigeon migration

Think it's happened here. No more fat feathered pigs at the breadcrumbs lately, no more having to refill the birdbath after the tanker has refilled himself.

Noah Zark.
5th Sep 2011, 14:03
Spooky Weather. End of the world?

No, end of summer!

corsair
5th Sep 2011, 14:56
Ok tinfoil hat on, Noah Zark is the last person to post here and it's raining heavily outside. Head for the hills!

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/radar2/WEB_radar2_201109051546.png

Edit, oh wait that's where the worst of the rain is. The bright red bit. Head for anywhere but the hills! Cork looks good and appropriately named all of a sudden.

Helol
5th Sep 2011, 19:42
Nothing as exciting as spooky weather/end of the world stuff, just normal avian behaviour which occurs every year. Additionally, bear in mind this year has seen a bumper crop of natural food available for the birds, due to favourable weather conditions early this year, with the possibility the birds could stay away from artificial food stations longer than usual - only time will tell.

Here is a response I posted to another similar question asked the lack of birds about a month ago.

There is plenty of natural food at the moment, and you may notice they will either pop back occasionally, or stay away for a good while. It is part of their normal annual cycle of life.

It's nothing to do with predators, they live side by side with them - except for the weak, young (inexperienced) and sick that are usually preyed upon.

This disappearance happens annually and my observations note the majority of birds can stay away for a month or more. Quite often there is usually the odd one or two who stay around. Probable reasons for the disappearance:

- Many birds willl have now completed their breeding cycle - and are experiencing their annual moult - their primary (flight) feathers will be dropping, consequently they are probably more at risk of being predated, hence the need to stay under cover rather more.

- There is a lot of natural food around, and as the birds are no longer feeding their young, and defending territory, there is not the urgency of staying close to feeders - they will have dispersed to 'natural' feeding grounds.

Interestingly, it's not just the 'garden birds' of which we are most familiar, but also the red kites disappear for a while. I receive many calls from the public asking where the kites have gone. In reality of course, they are still around, just not as visible - they are experiencing their annual moult, many of their flight feathers are missing, therefore they are not quite as efficient at flying as they usually are. Their time is spent perching in the trees after having gone through a long breeding season lasting several months. Additionally, they will have their young still occasionally chasing after them for food. They are probably well and truly knackered!

The birds may stay away in the early autumn too when natural food is abundant. Personally I always think it's a good thing when they disappear - it shows there is still plenty of food out there for them. And it give my bank balance some respite!