PDA

View Full Version : Help me get into BA, please !

wtpurser
20th Feb 2001, 03:25
This is just a cry for help to all those who know all there is to know about geting into BA - I need all your advice. In December 99' I failed the verbal reasoning test at the 'Rivers' (age 18 at the time) how do I pass it ? If I don't get into BA how else can I get to fly jets ?
All relevent information and hints will be gratefully received and dully printed off !
Please help.

SpeedBird22
20th Feb 2001, 03:49
Hiya,

Arrrrrrg I'm 18 and due for a little visit to the Rivers myself soon. I wouldn't worry, from all the information I've gathered over the last few months it appears that for whatever reason, age is a definite benefit when it comes to the aptitudes. You'll do better next time.

Having done quite a few verbal reasoning tests for other employers (non-airline) I can tell you that IT IS something you can improve on. There are loads of books out there on it, and incase you havn't already tried it, have a look at the tests at www.shldirect.com (http://www.shldirect.com) Just PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Fortunately I feel OK about these....its the maths I'm ****ing myself over.

A relatively small amount of people actually make it to airlines through sponsorship, and the rest have to make do with a bit of grit and determination and have a crack at self-sponsorship. If I don't get into a scheme before I finish my degree I'm going to get a FI rating and just work my way up. What else can you do?

Happy flying,

Birdseed 22

***edited for midnight-and-i'm-knackered spelling***

[This message has been edited by SpeedBird22 (edited 19 February 2001).]

Speedbird 2946
20th Feb 2001, 15:23
wtpurser,

Drop me an e-mail, glad to help!

SB 2946

Lucifer
20th Feb 2001, 15:25
And you forgot: the RAF trains loads of people now in airlines.

Some good advice for the verbal reasoning is to write short summaries of topical events in newspapers ie 50 words or so, in order to get the key points out of them. The hardest thing about some of the verbal reasoning tests is that you try to put in what you know about the topic, when you should just answer based on what is written in front of you.

Good Luck :)

wtpurser
20th Feb 2001, 17:58
Speedbird22,

Thanks for the reply. The problem I faced was that after I had been told that I had failed, trying to find out where to get a hold of decent V.Reasoniong test books was a bugger. As the the examples that came from BA were S**T.
As for the maths don't worry about it , I hate maths and I passed it ! Its just that bloody verbal reasoning thats going to be the decider. Well done for getting to stage 2 at 18, not easy.
So when are you due at the Rivers ?
When your done drop me a messgae/mail to let me know what the current procedure is.

Best of luck,

Cheers for the web site I'll check it out in the near future

wtpurser
20th Feb 2001, 18:12
Lucifer,

Do you need a degree to get into the
RAF ? I tried to get into the Uni Air Squadron but they were a load of disorganised pr**ks who made a mistake with my age and left it at that.

Whats the current situation with the RAF ?

Cheers !

AffirmBrest
20th Feb 2001, 21:43
UAS Disorganised? You applied for BA sponsorship over a year ago, failed, and yet still don't have a clue how to continue pursuing your chosen career! And you were obviously dead keen to get into the UAS, since you have found out so much about the RAF!

I am sure OASC would be delighted to hear about your UAS experience after you get your degree...

Advice: don't insult people who have been there and very likely done that, and in the same breath ask them for help - it might p**s some people off.

Good Luck...

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

BAcrew
20th Feb 2001, 22:33
I have to ask, what made you decide on the name wtpurser. As someone who spends half their life as a WT Purser, I'm very interested to know the story http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

wtpurser
21st Feb 2001, 02:06
BAcrew,
The name wtpurser came from my Dad who has worked for BA for 27yrs laterly as a purser. He suggested it because I needed a unique user name because the ones I typed in were already in use. Like AOL and stuff.
And yourself ? What fleet are you on ?

wtpurser
21st Feb 2001, 02:40
AffirmBrest,

OK lets establish a few facts here. As for persuing my chosen career I ony wanted some more avenues to explore, just some friendly advice on what I could do next. To add to my own views on that subject.
As for the UAS I went along to the interview selection day at Uni and had a talk with the RAF chap and between the both of us we got confused at what age I would be on leaving Uni (age qualification an all) He put me under the maxium level so there was no problem there. The next day I phoned up Leuchars to be told I hadn't made it to the final stages. No reason given untill promted by myself. (obviously not expecting to be questioned) I had to phone back so I could talk to the guy who handled all the proceedings as the woman I spoke to did not have a clue ! - he said I was too old but on calculation we proved that I wasn't but it was still used as a way to fobb me off.
I wasn't getting anywhere with them so reluctantly backed down feeling utterly disgusted with the lack of organisation and efficiency cocearned with the selection procedure at the UAS. ( I will be too old at the next selction time) As for knowledge of the RAF my grandfather is a Group Captain from the 2nd war who is involved with the UAS and goes to all the meetings, lunches at the officers mess in Leuchars and Sandwhich place Edinburgh. So for up to date information regarding the RAF where better to enquire. I'm only sorry I didn't include it on my previous posting to let you know.
So for that part I had a bad experience, as for you it seems to be a bit of a raw nerve.

I won't take your advice as I wasn't insutling anyone who was/is in the same situation as me. I was asking for help if you didn't relise so please don't slag anyone who like me just wanted some extra advice on how to relise a life long goal. I'll I want to do is become a pilot and I just wanted some help from those who know whats its like to be in my shoes.

So whats your story ? you seem to be somone who has had some experience with my situation.

Anyway cheers for the Good Luck, maybe you'll need it sometime !

Lucifer
21st Feb 2001, 13:35
No you don't need a degree is your answer.

Good Luck

wtpurser
21st Feb 2001, 14:26
Lucifer,

Does that mean entry into the training scheme for pilot ? If you had a degree what would that do for you,with regards to entry.

BAcrew
21st Feb 2001, 20:53
Hi there...I don't want to advertise what fleet I'm on, but if you're interested I'll let you know by email. Who knows? I've probably flown with your old man:-)

Lucifer
22nd Feb 2001, 00:19
Yes, I mean pilot. A degree helps you stand out, and if you did not meet the requirements at sixth form, gives you the chance to evolve. Looks bad though if you drop out of uni to join: they will not take uni dropouts/failures. A degree is another plus, and if you have done a lot with your life and are not academic, all well and good, however if you got good A-Levels, there may be questions asked as to why you did not bother. Same is of course true for ailines, although they will not reject you point blank if you have failed uni/dropped out (in general). Degrees do in my mind give you a huge advantage, due to the abilities you gain in being able to do the group discussion better, and probably be a better candidate in the hanger exercises.

Sorry about your c0Łk-up in the application for ELUAS/ADStAUAS, but like any organisation, there are of course wallies in the RAF (probably more than their fair share though!). UASs are usually far from disorganised pr!cks, who now are so organised, that they puch you to do your all for the RAF, while your degree tends to languish in the background: pity in some ways really.

If you look at the stats, 60% ish of RAF pilots come from at UAS, with slightly more holding a degree. BA seems to be more at about 80% (these are all current TEP intake mind you) so this perhaps indicates that the degree is giving people a better economic awareness of the airline business, but does not mean you wil not get in without a degree: if you have the skills, and can talk about yourself, you are just as likely to do well as a graduate.

Good luck again.

wtpurser
22nd Feb 2001, 15:27
BAcrew,
Yeah drop me an e-mail and tell us what fleet your on.

Cheers !
WT.

wtpurser
22nd Feb 2001, 15:39
Thanks again Lucifer for some quality info.
If I don't get into BA while I 'm at Uni then I will probably just complete whats left of my degree and see about the RAF afterwards.

Cheers !

wtpurser
22nd Feb 2001, 16:01
Lucifer,

Something I forgot - Whats your situation reagrding flying, are you in the RAF or BA ?

Speedbird 2946
22nd Feb 2001, 17:35
Ahh.. me thinks Lucifer is BA...

There was a :) once about Lucifer being in recruitment... but who knows?? :)

Cheers,

SB
:) :) :)

Up Up & Away
22nd Feb 2001, 18:39
Speedbird2946
Check your email RE BA