PDA

View Full Version : laptop battery not charging

exeng
3rd Sep 2011, 10:06
Apologies if this has been covered before. My Son's Packard Bell Easynote TR87 is having this problem. The battery meter in the taskbar show 17% and not charging.

I suspect it could be a dead battery and have ordered another but I suppose it could be a hardware or software issue also. If anybody has any bright ideas I would appreciate it in the event that the new battery suffers from the same problem.

KInd regards
Exeng

mixture
3rd Sep 2011, 10:15
I would be tempted to say that given you have already ordered a spare battery, lets wait and see how that pans out before launching into torrades of technical suggestions..... :cool:

Slasher
3rd Sep 2011, 12:39
Try BatteryBar (http://download.cnet.com/BatteryBar/3000-2094_4-10866804.html). It gives a good analysis of the battery and is
fully independent.

I've used it ever since it came out, and will not only report a
battery's condition but an analysis of remaining cells. And its
free of course (I never recommend anything where one has to
shell out one's hard-earned bucks).

PS - Don't worry about the Pro version. That's just junk you
don't really need.

Just an other number
3rd Sep 2011, 21:32
We had this problem with an Acer laptop. Google and half an hour found a solution that worked involving unplugging, plugging, turning on and off and removing and replacing the battery in a fixed order. Sorry I didn't make a note of it but it worked a treat.
Here's a previous thread on Pprune.

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/398014-laptop-wont-charge.html

and another one -

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/398723-laptop-died.html

exeng
3rd Sep 2011, 22:13
I've installed Slashers battery bar and will report back on that. Also looking at the links provided by J.A.O.N..

Very grateful for your input.

Kind regards
Exeng

Slasher
9th Sep 2011, 05:25
Well exeng what's happened?

Is yer battery still acting up ornery?

exeng
9th Sep 2011, 07:45
Yes - battery appears to have had it according to the battery bar program. I am awaiting a new one to be delivered.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Exeng

exeng
29th Oct 2011, 22:49
Old battery in the bin - new one working fine. Acording to my mulimeter 4 of the six cells were dead (or showing very little voltage) the other two showed some sign of health.

Paid £50 for a new pack but have ordered some new cells at £10 which I will ntry to pop into the old pack which actually came apart quite easily. I'll let you know how that goes on.

Regards
Exeng

Exascot
30th Oct 2011, 06:29
I have been through 3 batteries in one laptop. I have been told that one shouldn't use it on mains with the battery in. Also to run the battery right down before charging it back up again and then do it right up to full in one charge. I am doing this with a new laptop but it is too early to tell if it is beneficial. Any comments on this?

Edit: It is OK apparently to use it on mains with battery in when it is charging but when fully charged should be taken out.

exeng
30th Oct 2011, 08:40
I've had an Asus laptop for about 6 years which still has the original battery - I've left it in the laptop at all times and is mostly plugged in to the mains. It has lost about 30% of its capacity.

Regards
Exeng

dazdaz1
30th Oct 2011, 12:35
On my Samsung lappy W7 there is a setting to extend battery life by setting the battery charge to only 80%

Daz