PDA

View Full Version : Nature or nurture; a caucasian sprint champion?

KAG
3rd Sep 2011, 04:47
http://mytrinitymagazine.com/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/35470__52986269_lemaitre.jpg

At 21, Christophe Lemaitre is already the European 100m, 200m and 4x100m champion.

In south korea (or London?) for the 200 meters olympics, will he get a medal? Hard to say.

But a caucasian selected for the 100 meters or 200 meters world finals, and european sprint champion, we have not seen that for a long time...

His case has brought back the nature/nurture debat, the old genetics discussion.

100 years ago sport was a white thing. They beleived themselves superior.
And nowadays, if we talk about a sprinter, it has to be a black person.

But, if everything was only about motivation...? Or there maybe was some historical factors, like the olympics in Berlin prior WW2 that said what was polically correct concerning color and sport?

BBC Sport - Christophe Lemaitre targets 200m gold at 2012 Olympics (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/13546329.stm)

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dhic0h8ig7SG/350x.jpg

KAG
3rd Sep 2011, 05:18
Defending champion and world record holder Bolt won his 200-meter semifinal in 20.31 seconds, the second-fastest time behind France’s Christophe Lemaitre, who ran 20.17 in his heat.

Campbell-Brown Wins World 200-Meter Gold as Bolt Qualifies for Men (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-02/campbell-brown-wins-world-200-meter-gold-as-bolt-qualifies-for-men-s-final.html)

green granite
3rd Sep 2011, 07:01
Yes but does he have a chalk circle though? :)

Jane-DoH
3rd Sep 2011, 07:06
Well, there are white people who are fast-twitch dominant, and have a number of genetic factors that are conducive for running. A lot of eastern european types are highly athletic.

R.C.
"Apologises never having been in the military I get easily confused between my tacticals and strategicals and as I age even my test**cals!" -- RansS9

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Sep 2011, 08:05
It's possible, but frankly it will be a while yet before any caucasian athlete bests the sprinting times of a negro athlete. Those fast twitch muscle fibres are hard to develop and perhaps in a few generations and/or with laboratory manipulation such an event might come to pass. I wish Lamaitre all the luck, but the sheer ability of Usain Bolt will leave him some way behind. That said, if Bolt is still spooked by the false start disqualification in the 100m final, well then who knows....

SHJ

KAG
3rd Sep 2011, 08:49
Jane, Jack: Those fast twitch muscle fibres

That's exactly the genetic issue I was expecting.

I am not a scientist, but logic would mean that those same fibers would be needed in other field, like bicycle? Or maybe those fibres become an handicap with some sport???
I am not convinced.

I have heard that people from western Africa had those kind of fibers. I have even heard a few years back the same fibers were an explanation that black american were heavy weight world champion. Hard to beleive, as the world champion have been caucasians for some time (years?) now, like Alexender Povetkin:

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/2045/Alexander-Povetkin-Leo-Nolan.jpg

Or Vladimir Klitschko:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01600/Wladimir-Klitschko_1600362c.jpg

No western africa "special fibers" for boxing anymore, so what racial/genetic stuff are we going to use now?

The same goes with the sprinters I beleive. That's not a color issue, but a motivation one.

Capetonian
3rd Sep 2011, 10:00
Lots of practice makes perfect?

Less frivolously, why are there so few top black swimmers?

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Sep 2011, 10:15
Body fat......

Simply put (in general) the fitter they become the more muscular and less fat holding they become. They have less buoyancy (due to less subcutaneous fat deposits) and 'sink' into the water more deeply and therefore have difficulty developing enough power to float along at speed. The best long-distance swimmers are generally women and women with a bit of extra upholstery, so to say :}

SHJ

KAG
3rd Sep 2011, 10:58
Jack,
what we observe among the swimmers, do you beleive it's a genetic origin, or could the fact we don't train the same at all a swimmer and a sprinter be the begining of an explanation?

And what about culture? A black person doesn't swim nor race on a bicycle, a caucasian doesn't sprint or box (at least until recently...). Could it be a reason (as far as I am concern it is one).

Finaly, is sport the last witness of the apartheid?

Vercingetorix
3rd Sep 2011, 11:31
Alan Wells

100 metre olympic Gold medal 1980

Fiber Type and Performance
Our muscle fiber type may influence what sports we are naturally good at or whether we are fast or strong. Olympic athletes tend to fall into sports that match their genetic makeup. Olympic sprinters have been shown to possess about 80 percent fast twitch fibers, while those who excel in marathons tend to have 80 percent slow twitch fibers.

Are Athletes Born or Built?

Can Training Change Fiber Type?
This is not entirely understood, and research is still looking at that question. There is some evidence showing that human skeletal muscle may switch fiber types from "fast" to "slow" due to training.

Q. If non caucasians are fast twitch types how come the Kenyans, Ethiopians are such good endurance (10000 m, marathon, etc) runners?

Kag. Until the advent of John Arthur ("Jack") Johnson (March 31, 1878 – June 10, 1946), nicknamed the “Galveston Giant”, boxing was a white sport. Rocky Marciano was white.

:ok:

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Sep 2011, 11:32
Well.....

The only 'sports' that have an apartheid as far as I can see are the sports whereby entry is limited to those with deep pockets and are generally class exclusive, rather than ethnic barring. Olympic events such as Horse eventing/show jumping are two that spring to mind. As far as genetic predispositions goes, well i'd say that historically African negro humans were land based roving hunter-gatherers and as such their physiology reflects that even today, allowing fast movement, powerful limb muscular contractions and so on. The caucasian humans, in general, seem to have since the last 5,000 years or so developed into a static crop/animal/cerebral way of life and perhaps have bred out the qualities that once were our nature. They are still there, but the connection is very subtle. Apart from medicine, how much more advanced physically are we than several thousand years ago ? Not very much, we're but naked apes.

Culturally (in my lifetime) I have raced against some black cyclists, but in general they were few and better suited to track cycling and shorter distances. As for swimming, I have again met a few, but they seemed to be what black culture disparagingly call 'Coconuts', black on the outside, white on the inside. Black culture hasn't really encouraged cycling or swimming or many other sports, whilst others were 'de rigueur' such as basketball, athletics, football etc. Perhaps if we remember that until the last perhaps 40 years, persons with a black face were excluded from most western societies, and in Africa itself too busy with surviving to have time for sport. I remember working in Kenya some years back and went running along a country road to keep fit etc. For the first few miles I passed people carrying their water jugs, shopping, belongings and to be honest I stopped thereafter and walked back to the camp ashamed at my 'western arrogance' running to keep fit and slim, whilst those people were faced with walking many miles every day just to survive. No wonder East Africa produces so many champion distance runners....

SHJ

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Sep 2011, 13:22
Just to underline that Lemaitre isn't ;)

BBC Sport - World Athletics 2011: Usain Bolt wins 200m gold (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/14775036.stm)

SHJ

hellsbrink
3rd Sep 2011, 13:30
Body fat......

I understood it was bone density, as the bone density of a "black" person is higher than that of a "whitey" so they can develop stronger muscles without overstressing the bone. This, of course, means they are heavier which isn't so good in swimming.

Donalduck
3rd Sep 2011, 13:49
There is no genetic "difference" between white/black people... we are all people.
This sort of thinking is based upon racisism and ignorance... and has no basis in science whatsoever...

Howard Hughes
3rd Sep 2011, 13:50
My understanding is the genetic pre-disposition of Western Africans to sprinting, is skeletal based, not muscular. Narrower hips, longer limbs as a percentage of height, in particular longer femurs and greater bone density.:eek:

BombayDuck
3rd Sep 2011, 13:51
Bloody hell, Bolt took 0.193 seconds to get off the blocks and YET he finished in 19.40? That is 0.3 ahead of second and 0.4 ahead of third. Damn. :eek:

KAG
3rd Sep 2011, 13:59
Just to underline that Lemaitre isn't

In fact it has been a long time since a caucasian had a medal for the 200 meters, this is the case today: Lemaitre is on the podium, bronze medal

http://s1.lemde.fr/image/2011/09/03/678x339/1567511_3_2f68_usain-bolt-champion-du-monde-du-200-m.jpg

It was not even expected, being in final was already something new.

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Sep 2011, 14:13
It was not even expected, being in final was already something new.

It's a fantastic achievement and a brilliant time. Perhaps his name is really Lenoir ;)

SHJ

Capetonian
3rd Sep 2011, 14:28
There is no genetic "difference" between white/black people... we are all people.
This sort of thinking is based upon racisism and ignorance... and has no basis in science whatsoever...

Are you trying to wind people up? What utter rubbish. Even to look at this in a simplistic way, black people have different physiology to adapt to the heat and sun of the regions to which they are indigenous. Evolution has adapted people and animals to their environment.

Donalduck
3rd Sep 2011, 14:28
I can't believe in this day and age people putting forward all of these ignorant theories... FOR GOD'S SAKE PEOPLE... GET AN EDUCATION!

MODERATORS... PLEASE SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN. IT IS OFFENSIVE.

KAG
3rd Sep 2011, 14:32
Well, you are right Jack, because those records have never happened before.

He is 21, and every year he breaks his own record.

Lemaitre last record for 100 meters is 9.92, today 19.80 for 200 meters and third on the olympic podium? It means 9.90 each 100 meters, better than his last 100 meters record...

When Bolt had 21 like Lemaitre today, interesting to notice he was doing 19.91...

Christophe Lemaitre keeps pushing his boundaries every year, he is younger than bolt, let's see in London at the olympics next year.

Anyway what happened today is already so much more than anybody could expect, seing him on the podium.

Slasher
3rd Sep 2011, 14:45
This aint Australia Mr Duck (in case you haven't noticed) - a
lot of us Aussies are not brainwashed by the idiotic left wing
idealogical PC garbage that's spruked to you down there on a
24/7 basis, courtesy of your ratbag government.

Fortunately PPRuNe is not Oz based, and therefore not subject
to control by your Stephen Conroy thank christ, Christine Milne,
Lee Rhiannon nor your psychotic Bob Brown.

Save your rant for The Age instead.

KAG
3rd Sep 2011, 15:10
In 2011, we are still not able to say "caucasian", "white" or "black" without seing the so beleived "anti"-racist army coming. Each time. It never fails.

Funny enough, we don't know who is really racist at the end, the ones able to speak respectfully about different colors, or the ones saying: shut up, it's bad to mention it! Like being black or being white would be like a kind of sickness we couldn't even mention the name.

But honestly, I knew the "anti"-racist army would come in this thread, that's why there is a little red evil waiting for them in the title... ;)

BombayDuck
3rd Sep 2011, 15:15
This aint Australia Mr Duck

For a moment there I was wondering what I'd said wrong to put you off kilter again... :confused:

Slasher
3rd Sep 2011, 15:30
Sorry Bombay, it was directed to that Donalduck hoon on the
previous page.

I forgot there are two of you with the same surname. :\

BombayDuck
3rd Sep 2011, 16:03
It's okay, I'm a "Liberal" too from your point of view so you may not have been far off the mark.... ;)

Just kidding - I'm not going to defend my surnamesake :p

vee-tail-1
3rd Sep 2011, 21:25
Well is it racist to expect a British athletics team to be a mix of colours, but an English, Welsh, or Scottish, football team to be entirely white?

Rule3
3rd Sep 2011, 21:47
It appears YOU are the only one being offended, so may I offer a suggestion,

DUCK OFF.:ouch:

Howard Hughes
3rd Sep 2011, 21:49
Does hurdling count as sprinting?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55142000/jpg/_55142143_pearson_hurdles.jpg

Well done Sally!:ok:

BBC Sport - World Athletics 2011: Pearson dominates 100m hurdles (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/14774814.stm)

reynoldsno1
3rd Sep 2011, 23:12
I was once told that black people tend to have shorter tendons, allowing for greater muscular development where contraction was important (e.g. sprinting, boxing etc). Conversely, things like swimming & rowing rely on extension of muscles, and thus longer tendons are more efficacious.

I don't mind being told that this is utter bolleaux ....

priapism
4th Sep 2011, 00:44
From someone who lives in Oz - bloody well said Slasher!

KAG
4th Sep 2011, 01:20
Does hurdling count as sprinting?

Hard to beleive it doesn't.

Sally is an other proof the "west africa fast fiber" theory is more in the mind than in the body. This new century, the "exceptions" --in boxing and athletism-- to the "fiber theory" are too numerous to really be "exceptions".

Matari
4th Sep 2011, 02:44
Next maybe KAG can explain why Eminem is such a good rapper, and why Johnny Hallyday is such a bad rockabilly.

henry crun
4th Sep 2011, 02:56
"a good rapper" must be the best oxymoron I have seen on Pprune for a while.

KAG
4th Sep 2011, 03:17
Next maybe KAG can explain

Hi matari, I am not the one giving (genetic or others) explanation here, this is the opposite: I would be advocating the fact we have more boundaries in our mind than in genetic when it comes to sport if you want to push me further in the discussion.

The pathetic Johnny Hallyday? I prefer Eminem. ;)
Now if you had say Eddy Mitchell... I would have had to think twice...:)

Anyway not really my kind of music. I enjoy more listening Barbara, Higelin, Malicorne... Even if classic music beats everything else.

larssnowpharter
4th Sep 2011, 03:50
This new century, the "exceptions" --in boxing and athletism-- to the "fiber theory" are too numerous to really be "exceptions".

Indeed! Here is one; the best pound for pound boxer over the last 10 years and, possibly, in history.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/larssnowpharter/manny-pacquiao.jpg

rh200
4th Sep 2011, 04:19
There is no genetic "difference" between white/black people... we are all people. Umm, well there actually is a difference, one's black and ones white. There a high probability that if two people of the same color have a child it will turn out, that the child will in fact turn out the same color as it's parents. I would say that could be something to do with genetics. There is a reason that they have split the human species into different races, because there is sound scientific differences.

This sort of thinking is based upon racisism and ignorance... and has no basis in science whatsoever... And thats a general naive look at the issue. One race is no better or worse than another as a whole, describing statistical differences does not make one racist.

When dealing with large populations from a scientific point of view you need to use statistics. You may find that particular parts of the population are more disposed to be better at particular things than others. But amongst that statistical sample group you will find outliers who go against the trend, the question is why? Bit like males vs females, build, psychology etc etc

The old question of nature vs nurture is an over simplification. Effectively we are born with a specific disposition, nurture can overcome those dispositions to a point, but how effective it is really depends on what you have to work with.

Howard Hughes
4th Sep 2011, 04:58
Well said rh200, we are not dealing with absolutes!:ok:

KAG
4th Sep 2011, 05:39
But amongst that statistical sample group you will find outliers Indeed.
To the point that today if you are caucasian you can become a WBA heavyweight box champion, and if you are black you can become a gulf champion. Something unthinkable in the 90s because of the nature boundaries in our minds. In fact a culture thing.

The Lemaitre case is very interesting in this aspect concerning sprint, as he already run faster than Bolt at the same age on the 200 meters.

We have over estimated nature on that one I beleive. Even if of course, denying nature would be as foolish as denying nurture.

As you said "vs" is an over simplification, true, because sometimes 2 aspects of the same thing are not to be argued, but equally taken into consideration.

However from the individual point of view (and not the biologic or political one) we never can insist enough in saying motivation is everything. Otherwise we will kill the free will, and give everything in the destiny hands.

Vercingetorix
4th Sep 2011, 05:56
larssnowpharter

But he still refuses to take the standard Olympic blood tests as requested by Mayweather. Why would that be?
:ok:

Andu
4th Sep 2011, 07:55
My Gawd, you could crack an egg on Sally Peterson's six pack. That's one seriously fit young lady.

Nick Riviera
5th Sep 2011, 11:45
"It means 9.90 each 100 meters, better than his last 100 meters record..."

You can't compare halving a 200 metre time with a single 100 metre time. The 200 metre time should always show a quicker average 100 metre time because you only have to start and build up speed once. It's the same reason that 4x100 metre times are faster than 4 separate 100 metre times added together - you have only 1 slow start and then the baton is handed onto somebody already running.

KAG
5th Sep 2011, 16:16
Speaking of which, he just got the silver medal at the 4*100.

He is getting closer every year... He was already the fastest man in Europe last year, and he increased all his records since (like he does every year since 2006)... And as I already wrote he is faster on the 200 meters than Bolt at the same age (but not only, see the quote from wiki below)... Let's see in London.

Bolt and his team's gold medal, Lemaitre and his's silver one on this pic:

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/reuters/20110904/14/2356957374-04092011142218.jpg

From wiki:

During his European champions treble winning year, Christophe Lemaitre ran faster than the former world record-holder Asafa Powell and the former double world champion Tyson Gay did at his age. Christophe's progression to 9.92 seconds surpasses Patrick Johnson's mark of 9.93 seconds, making Lemaitre the fastest person of non-African descent in history

tony draper
5th Sep 2011, 16:46
Well if the Paleoanthropologists are to be believed we are all of African descent.
:rolleyes:

BombayDuck
5th Sep 2011, 17:22
he is faster on the 200 meters than Bolt at the same age

You keep saying that, KAG, but why the heck does it matter? :confused:

You assume that:
1) they both mature at the same rate
2) Bolt has stopped maturing (possible) but Lemaitre hasn't (why?)

Bolt was 23 when he blew away two World Records at the highest possible stage. A 19.30 in the 200m with a damn headwind. A 9.69 in the 100m after slowing down to showboat. Lemaitre may end up being great too, but Bolt already is. There are enough people who were "better at the same stage as someone great" who did not, eventually, turn out to be so.

KAG
6th Sep 2011, 07:54
You keep saying that, KAG, but why the heck does it matter?

You assume that:
1) they both mature at the same rate
2) Bolt has stopped maturing (possible) but Lemaitre hasn't (why?)

Just trying to argue it and compare a caucasian to the fastest man in the history: Bolt, is something we are not use to.

We could compare Lemaitre to the majority of the black sprinters athlete in the world, and if we do so, Lemaitre is most of the time ahead.

But alright, let's continue to compare him to the fastest man ever: Bolt. Numbers tell you that if you compare Lemaitre and Bolt at the same age (lemaitre is 21, Bolt is 25), lemaitre is equal or faster on the 200 meters. It means nothing more than that. Wiki even add: "Christophe Lemaitre ran faster than the former world record-holder Asafa Powell and the former double world champion Tyson Gay did at his age."

You said Bolt did his best time at 23? I answer you that Lemaitre is 21 and is improving every years. That's not from me, that's from the numbers.

It doesn't mean Lemaitre will be faster than Bolt in the future, but it doesn't mean that's not possible neither. And thinking this way concerning a caucasian is something really new. Hence this thread.
Disregard the future, a caucasian sprinter winning medals at a world level is not something usual, so we are in an uncommon situation with Lemaitre already.

Howard Hughes
6th Sep 2011, 08:12
At 25 Bolt is probably yet to reach his peak also! Perhaps next year...:eek:

KAG
6th Sep 2011, 09:09
It's possible. He is still 4 years ahead anyway. Age is important among sprinters performance. Nature? ;)

The nurture nature discussion remains.

KAG
18th Jul 2012, 12:16
Here is the sprint video: Autres Sports : Athlétisme : Vidéos - Athlétisme - Meeting Areva de Londres - 14/07/12 - 200m Hommes - CANALPLUS.FR (http://www.canalplus.fr/c-sport/c-autres-sports/c-athletisme/pid3469-c-athletisme-videos.html?vid=695608)

Quite weird to see one caucasian in front...

Just a reminder, when I opened this thread, Lemaitre did not win any olympic medals...
Since he got one in Korea, and for London he might have one for the 200M aswell. Kind of saw him coming it seems... ;););) :cool:

Lonewolf_50
18th Jul 2012, 22:48
I feel bad for Lemaitre in the same way I feel bad for the Houston Oilers teams of the 70's.*

Lemaitre, a fine and very fast runner, has the bad luck to be running against the utterly amazing Bolt. Lemaitre, and a few dozen high dollar sprinters from this side of the pond, would be better known/more famous, were Bolt not in the picture.

I've seen a couple of Bolt's races on TV and have yet to be other than awestruck. Damn, he's fast. What I find most appealing is how effortless his stride looks. Speaks to me of nearly perfect efficiency in motion.

I could give a flying fart his melanin count. He has taken the sprinting crown from a whole pile of very fast American sprinters, who for quite some time had ruled the roost.

* = The Oilers had the bad luck to be playing against the best team of its time, and in the same division: the Pittsburgh Steelers.

They were otherwise an incredibly good football team.

KAG
21st Jul 2012, 19:05
Don't feel bad, not even sure Bolt will beat Lemaitre on the 200 Meters ;););)
That's not done yet, no need to feel bad or good yet...

Lemaitre, and a few dozen high dollar sprinters from this side of the pond Lemaitre and a few dozen? Lemaitre is the fastest man in Europe. A few dozen? I don't think so. Well maybe it seems easy when we watch them sprinting, but in fact it's not, and right now, July 2012, you cannot find a "few dozen" of people on earth running as fast as Lemaitre.

And concerning skin color, yes this is important, it shows we are, the different races, not that different after all, and it shows we cannot put one race inside a box like some like to do.

fitliker
21st Jul 2012, 21:58
If we all came from Africa:Where did the Africans come from ?
If we all evolved from other primates :What did the other primates come from ?
For those who would argue that the chicken came first or that the egg came first.We all KNOW that the Rooster came first or the egg would not have been fertilized.QED

KAG
7th Aug 2012, 08:15
Lemaitre is going to run today, 200M, Bolt, and Blake will be there too.
Here is the question: will he get a medal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we all came from Africa:Where did the Africans come from ?The evolution theory and science, because it is one, is not as accurate as it seems.
And you've got a good example, where we all come from, which place?

We have found the oldest human remains on the African continent, so Africa is officially our place of birth. HOWEVER our scientists, even if they are much more knowledgable than us, regularly make mistakes and are influenced by their beliefs like anybody else, in addition the oldest remains we found doesn't automatically mean the oldest remains that have ever existed on earth.

Some scientist are to debate if Neandertal was an other race all together (really an other race, we couldn't reproduct with this specie), Neandertal was living in Europe, speaking about places... Neandertal doesn't exist anymore...

Furthermore our place of birth doesn't really exist when it comes to evolution, it is an ongoing process from the first complex molecule in the seas billions year ago up to you right now. When we became an human being cannot really be at an accurate place and time, it is a moving notion.
One sure thing, earth is the place, couldn't get that one wrong. Well, wait a bit... Not even sure.......... ;););)

stuckgear
7th Aug 2012, 08:43
For those who would argue that the chicken came first or that the egg came first.We all KNOW that the Rooster came first or the egg would not have been fertilized

really ?

http://fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/which_came_first.jpg?cb5e28

Davaar
7th Aug 2012, 10:52
Perhaps his name is really Lenoir

More than that, is he by any chance a pied noir?

Alloa Akbar
7th Aug 2012, 11:15
I'm with Lonewolf on this one, The French kid is quick, no doubt, but Bolt is fast and he's a showman. He knew damn well he was going to win the 100m, his team just managed him and his preparation to ensure maximum interest. The 200m, I for one will be glued to my TV because as always, when Bolt runs, it's not a question of him winning, it's more like "Are we going to witness another step change in sprinting standards?" I think Bolt knows himself that the World Record, if not the 19 second barrier is going to go this time around.

KAG
7th Aug 2012, 13:34
Lemaitre is qualified today...

http://s1.lemde.fr/image/2012/08/07/540x270/1743345_3_dd22_christophe-lemaitre-a-remporte-sa-serie-de_70e17b63ef4fe10744dddfe5bd9916b5.jpg

Bolt is the fastest man ever, nobody argues it, what makes it even more interesting... Let's see... ;)
Lemaitre faster than Bolt the day after tomorrow? Well, why not, everything is possible... A medal, whichever it is, will be great though, knowing Bolt and Blake will be there, what gives very little room for a medal...

hellsbrink
7th Aug 2012, 17:25
I'm with Lonewolf on this one, The French kid is quick, no doubt, but Bolt is fast and he's a showman. He knew damn well he was going to win the 100m, his team just managed him and his preparation to ensure maximum interest. The 200m, I for one will be glued to my TV because as always, when Bolt runs, it's not a question of him winning, it's more like "Are we going to witness another step change in sprinting standards?" I think Bolt knows himself that the World Record, if not the 19 second barrier is going to go this time around.

I do wonder what Bolt could actually do. Let's face it, he broke his own Olympic 100m record despite coming out of the blocks like a snail on Mandrax. He has a tendency to slow down if he senses that there is nobody close, it was like he fell asleep at the end of a qualifier.

If he put EVERYTHING into a race, what sort of time could he actually run a 100 or 200 in?

hellsbrink
7th Aug 2012, 17:26
Lemaitre faster than Bolt the day after tomorrow? Well, why not, everything is possible...

Very true, anything is possible. Who would have expected Murray to beat Federer in straight sets, as one example.

Tankertrashnav
7th Aug 2012, 20:20
Well if Sir Roger Bannister, a distinguished neurologist and somebody who knows a little bit about athletics holds to the fast twitch theory favouring sprinters who can trace their ancestry back to West Africa then that's good enough for me. Why should something that is a biological fact (in the eyes of most scientists) be considered racist? Nature knows nothing of racism.

Lonewolf_50
8th Aug 2012, 22:30
KAG, try for a little reading comprehension.

Lemaitre and a few dozen? Lemaitre is the fastest man in Europe. A few dozen? I don't think so.

I referred to a few dozen sprinters from THIS SIDE OF THE POND.

I am in Texas, not Europe, and Bolt has put into the shadow a non trivial number of very fast American sprinters for the past few years.

It isn't just about the last year or two, but a sustained period of making everyong else run for second place.

It was nice to see anyone able to beat him, as someone did recently in a few races (can't recall the name, may have been another Jamaican gent) but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of superb runners get to be
racing for second place.

If you go back to about Bob Hayes and the 1964 Tokyo Olypmics, you will find a significant majority of sprinting champs on this planet come from the US of A, and of that pile the most have a very high melanin count.

Conclude from that what you like, though I suspect Roger B had a clue.

As to hellsbrink:

I do wonder what Bolt could actually do. Let's face it, he broke his own Olympic 100m record despite coming out of the blocks like a snail on Mandrax. He has a tendency to slow down if he senses that there is nobody close, it was like he fell asleep at the end of a qualifier.

If he put EVERYTHING into a race, what sort of time could he actually run a 100 or 200 in?
Something remarkable, I reckon.

KAG
10th Aug 2012, 03:10
Anyway this done for Lemaitre, he arrived 6th. Not even close.