PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming 4 Day Flyaway

AvoCrew
3rd Sep 2011, 00:31
Decided to finally make an account to put forward a few questions to PPRune. As part of my CPL training a met and myself have decided to go on a small flyaway for a couple of days to start using up some of our command time and was hoping that the members on this forum could put forward a few tips and pointers on the route we intend to take.
Day 1 - 17/09/2011
Depart from Moorabbin YMMB to Albury YMAY via Sugarloaf Reservoir SGSV and Mansfield YMFD. WE plan to refuel in Albury then to Bankstown YSBK via Goulburn YGLB and Camdem YSCN with our inbound point to YSBK being the TWRN vfr waypoint. Is this a correct procedure for our arrival into YSBK or are other routes preferable. What features should we be looking out for to ensure we are clear of the restricted zones in the area.

Day 2 - 18/09/2011
On our second day of flying we would like to do a bit of flying around the Sydney area, up the coast or possibly around the harbour and the bridge? How hard is it to get clearance to do so and best way to go about doing this? I assume it will be difficult with the relative close proximity of YSSY.

Day 3 - 19/09/2011
Depart YSBK for Broken Hill YBHI tracking via Katoomab - Bathurst YBTH - Dubbo YSDU - Warren YWRN - Cobar YCBA. Refuel in Cobar if possible? Assume we will have to organise fuel prior to arrival. Cobar - Wilcannia YWCA - Broken Hill YBHI. Staying the night in Broken. We noticed that the airport is about 3nm from the town so we are wondering whats the best way to get into town from YBHI. Is there a bus that runs or we were hoping we may run into a local who might give us a lift.

Day 4 - 20/09/2011
Final Day.
Depart YBHI for Renamrk YREN then renmark onto Parafield YPPF to refuel. We plan to approach YPPF via truos flats then onto the vfr waypoint substation. Is this an appropriate approach point, too close to the military zone? We also need to figure out the best departure route out of YPPF to track via Horsham - Ballarat then back to YMMB.

Any pointers would be appreciated especially the YMAY to YSBK route as we pass over the ranges.

dl_88
3rd Sep 2011, 02:45
hey Avocrew, when you're heading into YPPF from Truno Flats, you have to follow the inbound TRK over Warren Reservoir(WRR) onto Dam Wall (DMW). The approach point is on the VTC and its about 2nm at the closest point from the military controlled zone when you're inbound to YPPF.
Keep a sharp lookout of aircrafts. There are some cessnas doing huge ccts. might want to watch for them and not cut into their circuits.
Hope the information is helpful. Cheers!

kookabat
3rd Sep 2011, 03:46
On the Sydney questions, all your answers and more are in this handly little dcument:
http://casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/pilots/download/sydney/sydney.pdf
You can also get a hard copy of it, helpfully spiral-bound, from the CASA online store.

Last time I flew Albury-Sydney I went up towards Wagga and turned right. That keeps you clear of the Canberra Class C too, though I forget what level that was at.

Lancair70
3rd Sep 2011, 04:30
You can get fuel at YCBA no problems, best to ring ahead, but if you can I'd stop in YSDU for fuel, itll be cheaper.

Jerr
3rd Sep 2011, 05:20
Avocrew Good luck with your fly away...

When new to an aerodrome, you can always report unfamiliar with the area. I have found this very useful.

Departing YPPF -Parafield head for SUBSTATION, it sits up on a hill and you will see lots of electrical type towers. You may not see it until 500 AGL then track slightly right to South Para Reservoir.

I then head direct to YHSM. Fuel is cheap at horsham. Opposite the toilets there is a small clubhouse. The door is open, and tea/coffee/mail and hot water are available. A nice gesture.

Safe flying

JERR

WannaBeBiggles
3rd Sep 2011, 05:39
I second what Lancair70 said, go to Dubbo, the price of fuel is good and you can get lunch in the terminal as long as you arrive within an hour or so of a RPT flight.

A landing at YNYN (Nyngan) can be fun just so you can say you've had a proper Bogan experience in Bogan Shire ;) - there is no fuel in Nyngan though.

YBHI is a good little stop over and the locals are quite friendly, we got a lift in to town from a really friendly guy who flies a Jab who's name escapes me right now!

N4sir
4th Sep 2011, 05:24
2RN can be hard to find at the best of times, even more so if you are unfamiliar with the area. You can always track north to Prospect Reservoir which is much easier to find and will add minimum extra miles.

When you purchase the Sydney VTC you should get an additional Insert which is a layout of the visual route around Sydney with all the tracks, visual markers, radio freq's and dos and don'ts. (It will also have City Scenic info)

Provided you meet the requirements crossing the DRA I would go from Albury via Wollongong north up the coast through Victor 1 then head west to Bankstown via Prospect.

Good Luck and Safe Flying

Fondair
4th Sep 2011, 05:48
Before I flew into Bankstown for the first time people were telling me 2RN is hard to spot. Post landing I pondered how much they paid their respective ophthalmologists off with.

mustafagander
4th Sep 2011, 11:06
As far as finding 2RN goes, the freeway intersection and the strobes tend to help. You might be able to use the ADF too!

I'd forget V1 on the way into BK, rather do it when you're fresh and more likely to enjoy the view.

I've done the trip AY-BK a few times and I find it easy nav tracking via Yass, MIG and 2RN being careful to avoid CB CTR and watching the SY DME steps. In the event of deteriorating Wx there is WG, CB, GLB and CN for diversions.

Enjoy your trip and be very sure that you don't allow yourself to be locked into a plan. Be prepared to go somewhere else if the need arises.

rubberprune
7th Sep 2012, 07:49
Hi AvoCrew,
I'm soon to be flying in to Albury on a navex. Can you (or anyone) share their experience with flying into Albury from the south-west? In particular I'd like to know where one should best make an inbound call, and what phraseology is appropriate for Albury tower. I believe they have no radar and there is a requirement to specify position on a radial.
Similarly, on departure, what kind of scenario can I expect?

Cheers, rubber

baswell
7th Sep 2012, 09:43
Take the scenic route out of PF - file via PAL to PNL at A005, they'll know what you want: "offshore southbound not above 500".

Just when ATC let you go is a good time to call inbound to Aldinga and stop for a coffee and brownie at Australia's best little airport cafe.

Then fly overhead Goolwa, drop back down and follow the coast for a while - the Coorong region is stunning. You might see some whales off shore too!

When you get bored, head inland to Horsham.

bentleg
7th Sep 2012, 11:37
A trick to finding 2RN is to set the ADF to 576, the ABC broadcast frequency. Its not hard to spot 2RN with the strobe and the radio mast. Get the right altitude entering the BK zone, 1500 for 29 or 1000 for 11, or you will conflict with departing aircraft. Eyes open, watch for departing traffic and traffic joining from Prospect.

A Victor 1 scenic including orbits at the bridge is great. Study the guide already mentioned. It is best done in the morning when the sun is behind you as you look at the coast. You could extend the scenic flight north up the Bankstown lane (marked on SY VTC), then continue to Warnervale or to Cessnock then come back down the coast picking up Victor 1 at Manly.

Dubbo is OK for fuel but there is a landing fee. Narromine YNRM 16m west also has self service (credit card) fuel and no landing fee (and no catering).

Cobar is Aerorefuellers, being run by the council at the moment until they get a self service bowser. Since AF have taken it over the price has become sensible.

Homesick-Angel
8th Sep 2012, 06:59
To the questions on YMAY.. Nothing particularly special about Albury. The departure call would be the biggest change you wont be used to. Just use the inbound point. Chiltern would be you best bet from the southwest..

As far as the guys doing the flyaway. Give yourself as much CTA flying as you can. Ask for clearance. Most ATC guys are awesome and will help as much as they can as long as you've done your homework.

Enjoy. Twill be a great experience..:ok: