PDA

View Full Version : RAF Sub- lease two A330'S

Robby NL
2nd Sep 2011, 19:09
UK MoD signs sub-lease deal for Cyprus Airways A330s (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/09/02/361544/uk-mod-signs-sub-lease-deal-for-cyprus-airways-a330s.html)

Just seen this article, I think it's quite surprising in its timing.
I think it would have made some sense when the Tristar fleet was struggling a couple of years ago or when the VC10 stopped carrying pax but why just before delivery of the first FSTA? Unless they want to try them on the Falklands run, but who will fly and maintain them down route?

Any thoughts?

Daysleeper
2nd Sep 2011, 19:24
"sub-lease" is an interesting phrase not often used in the commercial sector. I suspect these will be wet-lease thus the flying and maintaining are the problem of Cyprus Airways.

brit bus driver
2nd Sep 2011, 19:39
No idea as to the specifics of this deal but the idea of civair UK to AKT with RAF AT into theatre was mooted 4-5 years ago. Some suggested that a dry-leased A330 with RAF crews gaining some experience on type would be beneficial, but was largely poo-poo'd.....

jamesdevice
2nd Sep 2011, 19:45
brilliant idea
Use them on the trooping routes to the middle east. Displaces Tristars with something more reliable. In turn the Tristars can be used for tanking in place of the scrapped VC10s.
The trooping flights transit through Cyprus anyway, so Cypriot Airways can do all the servicing and manning using otherwise redundant resources. And the RAF can put their crew in alongside as part of the learning process for the new tankers.
Now you just need to find a couple of spare A330s based on the African west coast for services to the Falklands

brit bus driver
2nd Sep 2011, 20:00
That would be the joined-up way of doing business, and I believe the RAAF did similar with Qantas prior to bringing their 330s into service (DIFF will be along shortly to confirm/deny).

RAF AT has been a joke for years, woefully under-funded and under-resourced, coupled with some apalling procurement processes (C-17 being the exception). And that from one with nearly 20 years operating them. Those exchange officers that went off to get some Airbus experience were allowed to just potter back into their old lives (and then, mostly, leave), leaving VC10 navigators to drive the project forward. Make of that what you will.

Uncle Ginsters
2nd Sep 2011, 23:09
Are these the 'green' jets that will be used for training and non-theatre tasks whilst our own airframes come online? Is it just frames leased or the crews too?

If so, you'll not be on 10 Sqn in a hurry without an ATPL (which won't be funded by HMG). I wonder if you could claim that back if it turns out to be a pre-requisite?:ok:

Either way, Tristar has now placed itself on the periphery by continually failing at just the wrong moment...forcing plans now to cover for its downfall and raping other fleets in super-surge to do so. It's no fault of the operators, but it's time to get something reliable in its place.

monty's double
3rd Sep 2011, 09:16
Hi All,

I know that there are some that think that PPRUNE is a free-for-all as it is only a rumour network but I think this thread is a case-in-point for how lax we have become with regard to OPSEC.

What started as a fairly innocuous thread on a news story about MoD leasing of civil ac - a genuine interest piece to pilots - quickly includes specific info on how the MoD are planning the next RiP airbridge.

Just because those in the know maybe able to work out the implications of news stories on operations, does not in my opinion mean that they need to share that privileged knowledge on the World Wide Web.

Either CannonFodder has first hand knowledge of the next RiP, in which case he/she has just breached the Official Secrets Act and is also giving a heads-up to the opposition, or he/she is guessing, in which case he/she should perhaps say so.

Best Regards,

MD

Chris Griffin
3rd Sep 2011, 09:54
This has been on the cards for a while. This has been driven by a requirement to get the guys a few hundred hours experience before ramping up tasking. From what I understand they will be dry leased, but as Uncle Ginsters has pointed out you'll need an ATPL to get a quick slot. Unfortunately I believe some execs don't have the green book so not sure if they'll convert others first.

The only other issue is the majority of those who do have their ATPL have already PVR'd or gone at options. Interesting to watch from the periphery.

Daysleeper
3rd Sep 2011, 10:09
So how does this fit (leasing from a state owned loss making airline) with the thread on the Falklands contract that apparently cannot be let to a state subsidised operator and has thus changed to a UK operator?

And secondly...This has been driven by a requirement to get the guys a few hundred hours experience before ramping up tasking. there are several UK A330 operators that the guys could be placed with without the expense of leasing the whole aircraft!

and thirdly it really can't be dry lease, the period is too short 5 to 6 months and the RAF isn't competent to operate the type, civil registry issues etc etc. leasing definitions (http://www.globalplanesearch.com/view/aircraft/aircraft-leasing-def.htm) are well outlined here.

brit bus driver
3rd Sep 2011, 10:58
Sounds like the usual level of joined-up thinking.....

'I say Scroggins, I've just had a wizard idea....some chappie I met in Akrinelli has a few of those Skybus 350 thingies sitting around....says we can use them for a while. Pop off and drum up a few chaps to sit in the front for a few months...can't be that much different to the Belfast now can it, what!'

:ugh:

Or have things changed since I left?

Cannonfodder
3rd Sep 2011, 13:43
MD,
Just guessing with what I heard.
Fair point though and post deleted.

Could be the last?
3rd Sep 2011, 15:25
Well, having had several serious events with the current tinpot contractor used to support the BZN - AKI rte including: 2 engine fires, fuel leaks and eng surge on take-off, ( so the rumour goes!!!) It will be a welcome relief to have an ac and operator that can deliver on time and safely!

The only thing that is strange about the whole process is that it has taken so long for it to come to fruition:ok:

FlapJackMuncher
3rd Sep 2011, 18:52
Saw a couple of Cyprus Airways tails at the airhead 2 weeks ago.
Assumed they were acting as the trooper - seems i may have been half right.

jamesdevice
3rd Sep 2011, 20:15
I don't suppose the Libyans will have much use for Afriqiyah Airways' pair of A330s at present.
Hiring those as well might be a good bet

D-IFF_ident
4th Sep 2011, 10:52
BBD - I believe the RAAF contracted some A330 training to Qantas, and some RAAF pilots flew with Qantas as part of that training. Like the UK, the Commonwealth missed the trick of dry-leasing some A330s for experience though. :ok: