PDA

View Full Version : Strategic's fresh new look

Busboy92
1st Sep 2011, 22:15
Haven't had my interview yet, but now I can't wait. I need a "fresh" start. This is really positive news.

Lime twist in tail of rebranded airline Air Australia | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/lime-twist-in-tail-of-rebranded-airline-air-australia/story-e6frg95x-1226127606699)

Now I guess I have to sit back and wait for the usual negative people who usulally pop out of the bowels of Pprune whenever Strategic is mentioned.

But this is positive for the industry and hopefully positive for me.

altocu
2nd Sep 2011, 00:25
Is anyone able to provide info, or a link to where I can find info on the type of coin they are paying?

Cheers

Altocu

Lasiorhinus
2nd Sep 2011, 02:14
How much did Chucky sell the rights to the name for?

Ero-plano
2nd Sep 2011, 02:23
I love it, its fresh and new. Good luck guys I hope the expansion at Air Australia is huge. I'd rather fly these guys to Honolulu direct from Melbourne or Brisbane than hub out of ****ney any time.

Fris B. Fairing
2nd Sep 2011, 06:34
It's nice to finally see the name on an Australian airliner.

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/TAA-timetable.jpg

ContactMeNow
2nd Sep 2011, 07:48
How much did Chucky sell the rights to the name for?

Probably the same amount DC got paid for Alliance...

"Gunna bring in the business when they get confused and request a charter" :hmm:

jackthelad
2nd Sep 2011, 09:53
Pretty sure Chucky's company is Air Australia International. So cant imagine anyone having to pay anything for Air Australia except the normal admin fees for registering a business name. I hope Aussie flock to these guys because they are truly Australian.:D:ok:

Whispering T-Jet
2nd Sep 2011, 11:53
Going for the growing Islamic market perhaps? All that green:}

Seriously - a good livery - hope it works out.:ok:

Not sure about the move downmarket - be more like Virgin less like J*:bored:/Lyanair:mad:/Difficult Jet:uhoh: etc.

zanzibar
2nd Sep 2011, 11:56
deck chairs on the Titanic .................................

Mr Pilot 2007
2nd Sep 2011, 21:20
They were pushing themselves as one of the last remaining 'Full Service Airlines', now they are just one of the many budget airlines.

With qantas downsizing (in preparation to be folded up in favour of j* ???), Thought they do OK as full service.

What a shame!

Busboy92
3rd Sep 2011, 00:40
Mr. P, even though I'm a bit biased, 'cause I want to work there, I disagree.

Virgin is sliding over to the full service side to join QF, which just leaves JQ and a very sad Tiger down at the LCC end. I think taking on 1 and a quarter competitors is going to be a better bet than taking on 2 strong competitors with Frequent Flyers, club lounges etc up at the full service end.

Just my thoughts.

Captain Gidday
3rd Sep 2011, 17:13
Generally, I can't register "A Certain Name" if someone else has already registered "Certain A Name" or something very similar in the same business. If the public might be confused between the two it is usually disallowed, or the first registered owner can probably mount a lawsuit to stop the second business from operating if there is the prospect of confusion, even over matters of corporate colours [though Mitre 10 has just lost a lawsuit alleging the blue colour used by the new Masters homeware chain is too similar to its own].
Australian Airlines, the name, must still be owned by Qantas. Where are the corporate lawyers? I'd be confused between Air Australia and Australian Airlines, myself. Yanks would be, even more.
[Oh, you say, they are too busy firing lawsuits at their workers' Unions? I see].

tmpffisch
3rd Sep 2011, 23:12
Generally, I can't register "A Certain Name" if someone else has already registered "Certain A Name" or something very similar in the same business. If the public might be confused between the two it is usually disallowed, or the first registered owner can probably mount a lawsuit to stop the second business from operating if there is the prospect of confusion, even over matters of corporate colours [though Mitre 10 has just lost a lawsuit alleging the blue colour used by the new Masters homeware chain is too similar to its own].

Much like how Aboriginal rights compainer Mabo wanted to setup his own clothing name "Mabo"; the name was denied as it was too similar to Australian brand "Mambo", so Mabo took them to court as they were infringing on his personal rights to setup a clothing brand.

Jack Ranga
4th Sep 2011, 01:42
Much like how Aboriginal rights compainer Mabo wanted to setup his own clothing name "Mabo"; the name was denied as it was too similar to Australian brand "Mambo", so Mabo took them to court as they were infringing on his personal rights to setup a clothing brand.

What???? :D lol.

The Voice
4th Sep 2011, 01:57
The matter is still before the courts with an outcome to be decided ..

SimonBl
4th Sep 2011, 03:39
The Voice, are you sure? A quick Google of "Mabo Mabo" shows this:

Mambo calls off trademark case to get onside with '100% Mabo' | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/mambo-calls-off-trademark-case-to-get-onside-with-100-mabo/story-e6frg6nf-1226106988342)

Looks, too me, like everyone's kissed and made up. Can't find where Mabo took Mambo to court though. Linkie, tmpffisch?

zanthrus
4th Sep 2011, 03:48
Its Law, its justice, its Mabo, its the vibe, yeah thats it... its the vibe.

I rest my case your honor.

Geoff Fairless
4th Sep 2011, 10:35
It's a gutsy move, Air Australia, not Mabo. Best of luck to them.

The flights to Hawaii are interesting - assume they have arranged on carriage to the continental US but I couldn't see it on the web site. Surely there aren't enough people wanting to go to just to Hawaii in BNE and MEL.

What I do applaud is them attacking the very old QANTAS (now Jetstar also) business plan that still assumes everyone in the provinces is happy to fly out of SYD.

Captain Gidday
4th Sep 2011, 19:01
They'd better get their own terminal in Melbourne, then. It took 35 minutes from the start of the security line to the gate last Saturday morning [including the ridiculous compulsory slalom through the duty free]. And that was the crew in the crew lane! The 'Express Lane' was taking a lot longer than that. Effing ridiculous.
Actually, I don't mind Strategic AA having a go, but sometimes there is a reason why 'old business plans' are old business plans. Because they are tried and true and make money. The Darwinian selection process has already occurred. The tried and failed has been discarded.
Never forget that there is usually a big difference between what people will say they will do, and what they actually do. Oh yes, everyone agrees BNE-HNL is a good idea, but no-one actually buys a ticket. Just like BNE-DPS actually.
P.S. Maybe they could fly on from HNL to DFW and tie up with AA. :O

Worrals in the wilds
4th Sep 2011, 21:11
Just like BNE-DPS actually.IIRC that was a pretty high selling route about ten years ago when Garuda had it. I think Bali's a bit like the Gold Coast, everyone who wanted to go has already visited and been ripped off. People are also aware of a lot more exotic destinations in Asia than they were ten years ago; even deadset bogans are flitting off to Angkor Wat and obscure beaches in Borneo.

Actually, I don't mind Strategic AA having a go, but sometimes there is a reason why 'old business plans' are old business plans.
There is also a reason why Australian aviation is littered with the corpses of failed small airline start-ups. It's a tiny little market with really big distances, high operating costs and two massive competitors who can toss out 5 cent tickets as loss leaders whenever they feel like it. Virgin Blue were lucky in that they had one of the world's richest and most PR savvy dudes backing them, and also had the second most major carrier go guts up at the 'right' time for them. Everyone else? Not so rich or lucky. Skyair, Ozjet, Compass et al all faded into oblivion. I know there are more conspiracy theories than passengers about their respective demises, but none of them managed sustainably huge ticket sales.

Impulse did well and got assimilated into the Qantas Borg (a fate worse than death? :}) but I can't think of any other exceptions. Tiger were already struggling before the recent issues even with pots of money behind them and still aren't out of the woods.

I wish Strategic/AA well, I really do. I'd like to be wrong and I'm not sitting on the sidelines saying 'Sucks to Strategic, nyah nyah nyah, hope you fail horribly'. It would be great to see a third truly Aussie airline holding its own, but I just wonder if there's a market for it.

Al E. Vator
4th Sep 2011, 23:44
The same thing was said about a small airline called Ansett in the early 1950's. It didi ok.

The same thing was said about Virgin Blue in the early 2000's. It's doing ok too.

Mr Pilot 2007
4th Sep 2011, 23:51
What I do applaud is them attacking the very old QANTAS (now Jetstar also) business plan that still assumes everyone in the provinces is happy to fly out of SYD.

Agreed, and for that reason alone I wish them well.

dodgybrothers
5th Sep 2011, 00:02
Didnt JQ pull out of Melb-Hawaii direct? If they couldn't make money with their GDS on that route what hope have Strategic?

AussieAviator
11th Sep 2011, 09:32
Here's a interesting clip from MJ.

New Aussie airline (http://today.ninemsn.com.au/videoindex.aspx?videoid=f662dde2-c91a-4f15-830f-75d33af1a9e3)

topend3
12th Sep 2011, 04:10
So they are now low-cost. Does this mean Jetstar and Tiger will be vying for rights to fly Perth-Derby which is obviously now a booming market for the price sensitive traveller?

TBM-Legend
12th Sep 2011, 05:25
so you become a "low cost carrier" by just saying you are, right????:E

listentome
20th Sep 2011, 02:52
I hear there is a growing list of people owed money by Strategic, not sure if its true but it also includes staff super payments being withheld....is this the beginning of the end of another failed airline?...again

PoppaJo
20th Sep 2011, 04:11
I did hear that they are having trouble getting hold of these next two A330s, the leasing company involved knocked them back so they are trying to hunt down a few cheap 330s.

Goat Whisperer
20th Sep 2011, 08:19
...like there are decent A330s lying around the place! If there was no wait for A330s Virgin would have a handful by now.

1a sound asleep
20th Sep 2011, 09:58
Remember Compass - Mark I and II

OZ jet

Strategic is OZ jet Mark II

tick tock

The Hooker
20th Sep 2011, 10:31
What a nasty piece of work you are "1a sound asleep", you are talking about peoples lives and welfare that are involved with this airline.
Acid little remarks from acid little people.
If you can't write something constructive don't bother writing at all.

1a sound asleep
20th Sep 2011, 11:49
The Hooker I am not so blind to not see reality. I dont want to see you lose your job but I could have said that for all the Ansett employees. No such thing as a guaranteed job

Jethro Gibbs
20th Sep 2011, 12:02
staff super payments being withheld
ILLEGAL call ATO now:ugh:

MASTEMA
21st Sep 2011, 00:43
Hooker

Keep your eyes and options open. You of all people should be relating your SAW experience to warning signs being given a fresh new look.

To survive requires substantial financial input, new aircraft interiors or preferably newer aircraft, frequent flyer programs, code share, lounge access and a serious change in management ethos.

Look to Virgin for the benefits of these changes. It is by the way, the most relevant competition.

Specnut727
21st Sep 2011, 01:26
I think companies are only required to pay it quarterly. So if you haven't received all of Q3 by the end of October, then the company is breaking the law.

600ft-lb
21st Sep 2011, 01:44
I think companies are only required to pay it quarterly. So if you haven't received all of Q3 by the end of October, then the company is breaking the law.

There as been quite a few examples of companies that have operated right up until the super is due to be paid out and put into liquidation the day or week before.

1a sound asleep
21st Sep 2011, 02:25
Your employer must pay your super guarantee contributions at least every three months. 3 months is the maximum they can wait to pay them

If your employer is also making super contributions on your behalf from your after-tax pay, these contributions must be paid within 28 days of the end of the month in which they take it from your pay.

Specnut727
22nd Sep 2011, 04:17
1a

Thanks for the clarification on after-tax contributions.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post that the 3 months applies to salary sacrifice, as well as super guarantee contributions.

jack diamond
25th Sep 2011, 01:45
3 days and no news?

PoppaJo
25th Sep 2011, 04:55
news on what

THRidle
26th Sep 2011, 06:41
Have to agree with Poppajo..........What news ????

wheels_down
28th Oct 2011, 00:48
Any news on the upcoming 330's for HNL? 1.5months to go.....

I noticed A320 VH-YQC is now stored. What happened to the so called MEL-BNE route? It was meant to start a few days ago..

Exgolfer
28th Oct 2011, 00:55
Stored or broken and cant move?:(

tourismman
28th Oct 2011, 02:53
Gosh where do you guys get your info from.

YQC has been in Asia getting a C check and repaint.It left on the 1st of October.

STORED ?????:ugh:

Bright Spark
28th Oct 2011, 12:28
I hear that YQC is back next week with the new paint job and there is a party planned, hope that helps those who were just made redundant.

Oh thats right today is the 28th the day super must be paid by, hope there is enough left for the party.

listentome
29th Oct 2011, 05:55
Will Korda Mentha allow money to be spent on a party...

Bright Spark
29th Oct 2011, 11:50
Korda Mentha will be too busy to bother with Strategic, much more money and an even longer liquidation than Ansett on the cards now.

MACH082
30th Oct 2011, 02:06
Probably a good time right now for strategic to launch :hmm: