PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of Multi-Commercial License (FAA) to Indian CPL

09August
1st Sep 2011, 20:35
Hi,

I have a Multi-Commercial FAA License and I want to apply for an Indian CPL. I don't have a single-engine endorsement on my FAA CPL. However, my PPL and instrument-rating are in a single-engine. Now, I need to fly 15 hours to meet all the DGCA requirements in the preeceding 6 months. My question is can I do the following on a single-engine

5 hrs instrument
250-nm day XC
120-nm night XC
5 hrs night time (with 10 take-offs and landings)
Day check and night check

and the following in a Multi-engine:

2 IR approaches
Day check and night check

Or do I have to complete all the requirements on a multi-engine airplane (PA-34 in my case)?

I have received various responses from flight instructors, students and other captains and am totally confused. Haven't been able to find any rule related to this on the DGCA website. Can someone plz help? :confused:

Also, the list of approved aircrafts does not contain C-152 - http://dgca.nic.in/AD/Accepted_AC.pdf . Does that mean I can't do the recency in C-152?

cyrilroy21
1st Sep 2011, 20:48
@09August

What you outlined perfectly matches the requirements for the DGCA recency and all these requirements can be done on the single engine

Although i think you need to do 3 T/O and landings by day and night for the multi requirement ( check the flow chart )

You can get the single endorsed on the Indian DGCA CPL
Just do the DAY check , Night check , IR check , along with 3 t/O and Landings by day and night

Dont refer to the accepted aircraft to check whether and aircraft is accepted or not . Its very misleading . It just contains the list of new aircraft and not that of existing aircraft
Check the DGCA aircraft register for accepted aircraft

09August
2nd Sep 2011, 13:08
Thanks for the quick response, Cyril! :ok:
But, there is also this set of people (instructors at a school and a few students) who have advised me to complete all the 15 hrs in a Multi. Their argument being that since I have an FAA CPL I will be issued a multi-engine land Indian License. And hence all the training has to be done in a Multi. I also heard DGCA has rejected some applications due to this reason. A friend consulted the Dy. Director, Licensing and was advised to undergo all the training in a multi. At the same time, a few friends have been issued their licenses after they underwent training in both multi and single (as i have mentioned in the previous message) recently. This is contradictory right? Hence I am looking for a rule which discusses this.

Where can I find this - DGCA aircraft register for accepted aircraft?
Thanks!

Yes, also the 3 T/O and lndgs in a multi.

cyrilroy21
2nd Sep 2011, 13:28
The 15 hours flown for recency is not training . Its Pilot In Command time .

There is no such requirement for all the hours to be flown on a multi .

You wont be issued a multi engine land license . The only aircraft you will be eligible to fly is the particular aircraft endorsed on your Indian License .

To be endorsed a specific aircraft on your license you should have atleast 10 hours on that particular aircraft plus the skill checks ( day , night , IR )

The 250 and 120nm cross country should be done on an aircraft that you want to get endorsed on your license
For eg if you only want multi then the cross countries should be done on the multi
If you want multi and single then the cross countries can be done on the single and not the multi

Now about the rumors I am not sure . I have a friend who got a single engine endorsement on his DGCA license even though he didnt have it endorsed on his FAA license . His license was issued about a month back .
I dont think the DGCA should create any issues as long as you have your skill checks done on an aircraft registered in India

As for for the DGCA aircraft register

Active Aircraft Register Enquiry (http://www.dgca.nic.in/aircraft/reg-ind.htm)

Just type cessna 152 :ok:

flylikeaBE76
2nd Sep 2011, 15:05
Need a quick response to the question I have as I am currently doing my recency requirement. I am not risking the BE76 and doing 10 on the PA-34 although I have a LOTTT of time on the duchess. My question is -
I noticed it said 10hrs on a multi(including test/check). Can I do the day and night X-C tests as a part of this 10. Pretty sure I can since it says including test/check. So say, 5 hours (day,night x-c tests and checks) would be PIC , correct? Which means I would need 10 more to meet the 15PIC in the last 6months requirement.
Can someone please confirm that my calculations are right?
Thanks in advance.

cyrilroy21
2nd Sep 2011, 15:22
The skill checks have to be logged as PIC and these can be included within the 10 hours of training required .

As long as your flying school lets you log it as PIC you should be fine

Just dont log dual and PIC at the same time

And yes these PIC hours flown during the 10 hours on multi counts towards the total 15 hrs PIC requirement

cyrilroy21
2nd Sep 2011, 15:26
Also make sure that you do the 250nm and 120nm cross countries on the seneca or on a single engine if you are getting a single rating also on your Indian license

I had a friend who faced issues because he did the 250 and 120 on the duchess and the DGCA was like the aircraft flown during these cross countries should be recognized by them

flylikeaBE76
2nd Sep 2011, 16:00
My school will let me log PIC from hour 1! Cuz I have an MEI with a lot of multi time! The thing is though - Can I then count the entire 10hrs as PIC which means ill have to do just 5 more on a 172.
I have already done the X-C day and night tests on the seneca. I don't have to repeat it on the 172. Just skill tests on the 172 and approaches. Basically, all the 172 will be PIC.
So, I'm really not sure now on how many more i have to do, to satisfy the 15PIC.

cyrilroy21
2nd Sep 2011, 16:06
For the sake of satisfying the DGCA personnel i would recommend logging the first 3 hours as dual and the rest as PIC

Jerin
26th Dec 2011, 13:23
Hi,
I am having FAA multi commercial, so for the Indian CPL conversion i suppose to do my 250 and 120 nm cross country in Multi Engine or Single Engine..?

And do i need to fly any PIC day check and PIC night Check apart from GFT day and Night on Multi Engine.

hitesh.ahire
29th Dec 2011, 04:01
On Multi Engine.

You`ll also have to complete Day check, Night check, IR check.

If you wish to have Single Engine Edorsed on your Commercial. Then, you need to fulfil the same requirements on Single Engine.

vikramvirdee
29th Dec 2011, 17:37
What sense i'm getting after reading the above is :
Since i've FAA ME comm NO single Addon on BE76 , so now for Recency I need to do the following :
If i want to have Indian Lic having ME only endorsed
7 hrs on PA34 Dual as training ( BE76 no longer valid )
3 PIC hours Day/night/ Ir check on PA34
2 PIChours of 120 XC on PA34
4 PIc 250 XC on PA 34 .
5 other ( PIC night & IR )
total around 20+ hrs

Also In additional if i want Single( becoz Ive Pvt, IR on C172, C152 then ,
I've to do :
2hr GT Day& NGT on C172
1hr IR on C172 .

please correct me if I'm sensing wrong or anything to add .
Also I request please write all the list of Required Documents according to the present days.

Thank in advance

equinox123
29th Dec 2011, 21:27
i guess ure ure wrong........but thats my point of view............coz even i have FAA multi commercial on PA 34 and no single engine commercial.............but i guess we have to do the following

1. 250nm X-C day (single engine)
2. 120 NM X-C night (single engine)
3. 1hr gft nite (single engine)
4. 1 hr gft day (single engine)
5. 1 hr Instrument time with 2 approaches (single engine)

and for multi we need

1. 1 hr gft by day
2. 1 hr gft by nite
3. 1 hr instrument time with 2 approaches

and the rest if u have time left say 3 hours just do solo on c152 to complete the mandatory 15 hrs recency........

plz correct me if im wrong now lolz..............confusion everywhere.......

hitesh.ahire
30th Dec 2011, 02:42
@ Equinox,

My friend, you've mentioned that you have Multi Commercial, however, no single engine endorsed on your license.

Hence the 15 hours of recency training, would only be considered on Multi Engine.

av8er1990
4th Jan 2012, 01:45
i have accidently added simulated IR time in my 250 nm cross country and dgca refuses to accept it,,,,,can i submit a 250nm check done on the multi instead?....please reply fast

av8er1990
4th Jan 2012, 01:50
you need to do only 3t/o landings on multi day and night separate and 2 ir approaches (all done in 3 separate flights)

and da rest checks on single(250 ,120...etc)..and da above too....

P.S you dont have to do 15hrs on multi...please dnt listen to anyone...cause i and everybdy else have onli multi commercials jut liek you..and we did da same

hitesh.ahire
4th Jan 2012, 04:04
You should attend DGCA open house Session.
Nobody in this god damn forum can suggest you the right thing. We all have different experiences and Opinions. DGCA is unpredictable. So, its best, you speak with a DGCA official and get all your doubts rectified.

equinox123
4th Jan 2012, 05:59
@av8er and hitesh................i loved the post by Av8er but then come to think of it i find Hitesh right too...............Oh DGCA why r u doing this to us?......please come out into the open and spill the beans...........
Av8er i know ure right coz even my friends have done their multi commercial and all they had to do is wht u mentioned but i know of a few unlucky guys who didnt have their single commercial, and had only their multi commercial,just like us,but DGCA asked them to do their 250 nm and 120 nm on the seneca too.,..........Hitesh is also so damn right coz DGCA is like the Indian Cricket team "highly unpredictable".............If any of u guys who have recenly gotten their licence converted or have shortfalls please post .....

varunjay
6th Jan 2012, 06:26
Guys, i need u r help reg. an issue that i am facing rite now. I clrd my exams recently and heading to the U.S for recency. Now I have a FAA CPL (Multi engine only) on a BE-76. The DGCA is nt issuing endorsements on this off late as the C of A of the only Duchess in India has expired. So it means i have to do another 10hrs on a ME that is registered in India. I intend to fly the Seneca.
Now my question is can I log these hrs as PIC as per DGCA and do all the 120, 250, 300 X-cty, 5hr Instrument and the day/night/IR chk within the 10 hrs (all PIC) and do remaining 5 hrs PIC on a C-152 and get my license converted with Seneca endorsement here in India? Again the Seneca will be the only a/c on which I plan to get endorsed on my DGCA license. Pls throw some light on this if anybody has any idea. Or if any of your frdz recently underwent the same issue?
Also do i need to get NOC from DGCA for training in Seneca? Can i fly Seneca I/II and just log as PA-34 in my logbook? Do i need to give any tech exam in India? Any help is highly appreciated.

hitesh.ahire
16th Jan 2012, 03:55
Hi Varun,

It's highly recommended that you consult DGCA about all your queries.

People's suggestions here are not incorrect. However, DGCA has undergone a revolutionary change. (Resolution to reject as many applications, so as to keep statistics low of Jobless pilots in India).

DGCA would reject or create issues for some minor issues in your application or in your training, one could ever imagine.

DGCA conducts open house sessions on Monday and Thursday.

Spend a couple of thousand bucks, attend DGCA open house session. Get all your doubt's cleared and then spend Lakhs on your training.

jdwakar
18th Apr 2014, 08:11
HI,

I am looking to convert my FAA license in india. I am searching for an academy to help me with it. Can any one suggest me a good academy ?

keyur
31st Aug 2014, 19:58
Does anyone know if I can use my hours as an instructor for the 100 Hr PIC requirements for DGCA conversion of CPL

Thanks

Flutter Test
2nd Sep 2014, 08:22
MPFC,KARVAR and CHIMES