PDA

View Full Version : Solving Debt in Football

hellsbrink
31st Aug 2011, 17:49
It'll never happen, too much money in the game now.

Anyway, all that would happen is that the "cap" would be supplemented via things like "image rights", "personal sponsorship", expenses", etc, etc, etc, so those "with" would still outspend those "without".

hellsbrink
31st Aug 2011, 17:50
This has to be a record for the PPrune post time problems!!

hellsbrink
31st Aug 2011, 17:51
will it work a third time?

YES!!!!!

GroundedSLF
31st Aug 2011, 17:55
OK - apologies if this has been posted before, but I couldnt find anything when searching (but I am crap with searching).

It seems to me that there is a general feeling within football, that the players salaries are one of the main causes for clubs a)getting into debt and b) widening the gulf between "top" teams and the "others".

What if chairmen of football clubs worldwide came to an agreement that put a salary cap in place and enforce it worldwide.

Would this work?

As far as I can see, it would make it better for everyone (excluding some of the top paid players) - but even "top" teams with high earners are losing money, even with all the success they buy.

Unless a club is owned by a billionaire who is in effect throwing money to buy success, then teams that are run as a "business" - ie not in huge amounts of debt, can never compete.

Thoughts?

A A Gruntpuddock
31st Aug 2011, 18:11
I think you would find that such action comes under the legal heading of 'restrictive practices' and would cost the clubs even more in defending legal (and possibly criminal) actions.

Mr Chips
31st Aug 2011, 18:20
Rugby union has a salary cap....

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2011, 18:56
Is that like going round with the hat?

con-pilot
31st Aug 2011, 19:11
Most professional sports teams in the US have a salary cap. However, not for the individual players, but a cap for total compensation for any team.

tony draper
31st Aug 2011, 19:37
Didn't the USA virtually shut down one of those strange colonial sports baseball? hockey?American Football? or somesuch because of the insane cash demands of the players.?
:confused::)

Lon More
31st Aug 2011, 19:38
Crack the kneecaps of any player disagreeing with the salary cap

con-pilot
31st Aug 2011, 19:39
Didn't the USA virtually shut down one of those strange colonial sports baseball? hockey?American Football? or somesuch because of the insane cash demands of the players.?

They are all members of players' unions, no more needs be said. The NFL* has settled their dispute/strike/lockout and will play a full season this year.

The only dispute ongoing now is with the NBA**.

* National Football League. (The football league with no acting, unlike your type of footyball. ;))

** National Basketball Association.

Ancient Observer
31st Aug 2011, 19:45
Like they do with Spanish ATCOs???

racedo
31st Aug 2011, 22:57
UEFA have a policy going forward regarding involvement in UEFA competitions and financial stability.

Man City supposed 400 million sponsorship of a stadium they lease from a relative of the owner is one that will get pulled to pieces and compared against existing deals to see if its legit or an attempt to get around the rules.

Krystal n chips
1st Sep 2011, 08:06
Simple! ......banks and other financial sources call in the debt ( as would be the case in any other business )...overpaid parasites made redundant....ground repossessed...followed by....

BBC News - Work starts at the old Gay Meadow football ground site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-14731379)

Bingo ! :ok::E

Unlikely I know....sadly.

GroundedSLF
1st Sep 2011, 08:30
Sorry Con - got to pull you up there.

You seem to be confusing English football with the football played by the Italians in terms of acting ability - everybody knows the English cant act (ever seen a Hugh Grant film?)

And anyway - how can you call it American FOOTball when the only time the foot touches the ball is during kick off, and for the extra point?

Alloa Akbar
1st Sep 2011, 08:38
Krystal - One flaw in your plan.. Can you imagine how much dosh the banks are making from the likes of Manchester United who are (Comfortably it has to be said) servicing a 500m debt?? Call that in? I think not.

United, Liverpool, Real Madrid and others around Europe are giving credibility to the old phrase "If you owe the bank 100 grand you have a problem, if you owe them 100 million - THEY have a problem."

Real Madrid bought David Beckham some years ago for 25m, they re-couped that investment before the end of the very first season through sales of team jerseys with Becks name and number on the back. They have done the same on a larger scale with the likes of KaKa and Cristiano Ronaldo.

My only real issue with football is the way certain players seem to think they are above the law and their public behaviour is disgraceful.. Ashley Cole of Chelsea springs to mind - Imagine if you were an airline Captain and you come to work one day with an air rifle, and whilst larking about you shoot one of the cabin crew in the face.. you'd get fired and locked up right?? So why does a footballer get away with it?? I would admit though too much money, too much free time and too few brain cells are a dangerous mix, football shall always be what it is today.. a circus.

green granite
1st Sep 2011, 08:44
As far as I'm concerned the lot can go bankrupt, I wouldn't miss them.

Alloa Akbar
1st Sep 2011, 10:00
Spread that happiness and joy GG.. :p

bar fly
1st Sep 2011, 14:46
Ahhh the Gay Meadow, I was ball boy there once you know!

Bet you didn't know that. :)

con-pilot
1st Sep 2011, 16:48
And anyway - how can you call it American FOOTball when the only time the foot touches the ball is during kick off, and for the extra point?

Ah yes, but you forget that the foot is used to run with the ball. Both of them. :p

hellsbrink
1st Sep 2011, 18:14
Both balls? :confused:

con-pilot
1st Sep 2011, 18:17
Both balls?

Um, never thought of it that way, so I guess to be accurate, that would be three balls. :p

Mike-Bracknell
1st Sep 2011, 18:18
It's all Jimmy Hill's fault.

2 Solutions:

1) Run with a squad salary cap

2) Deregister any club running in debt

Obviously, as a Wolves fan, i'm in favour of the latter :) I think it'd just be us, West Brom and Stoke for the title :)