PDA

View Full Version : Space shuttle and space flight in logbooks

tartare
31st Aug 2011, 06:58
Looked on the web, but don't seem to be able to find any answers.
Do any US members of this forum know if astronauts (often being ex-military aviators) actually logged Shuttle or Apollo Flights in their logbooks? Just curious.
Do you get rated on type?!
Would be a helluva a logbook entry...

Whopity
31st Aug 2011, 08:24
Apart from the last 30 seconds, when do they ever get to fly it? It would only count as gliding as there is no engine! I am sure they log it in their own way but it has nothing more to to do with logging flight time than driving a hovercraft.

Jayand
31st Aug 2011, 09:21
Whopity, none pilot members of crews have log books!! log books aren't limited to the guy/girl holding the stick at the front.

GreenKnight121
31st Aug 2011, 10:06
Apparently, the 4,577 flight hours in Wally Shirra's logbooks specifically do include 295 flight hours as a crew member of Mercury-Atlas 8, Gemini 6A, and Apollo 7 (in addition to 267 carrier landings).

He was also the second US Naval Aviator to log 1,000 hours in jet aircraft.

Lima Juliet
31st Aug 2011, 10:10
Whopity

Engines are on upwards and off downwards - so surely downwards is a Forced Landing (FL)? If they go through cloud on the way up do they claim "actual"? When they dock with the ISS is that claimed as a landing?

Come on someone must be in the know

LJ

TorqueOfTheDevil
31st Aug 2011, 10:22
Presumably they only log flight time when they're within the Earth's atmosphere - once in space, it's not actually flying, is it? Surely NASA's finest don't do sharp-pencilling? I Th**kell, You Th**kell, He Th**kells etc etc

Bear 555
31st Aug 2011, 11:54
I recon they're still 'In Command', even if the machine is flying on auto . . works for us in 'RPAS' land

Whopity
31st Aug 2011, 13:19
none pilot members of crews have log books!!Would that be "non" ? You are obviously referring to an Aircrew logbook. Do cabin crew log trolley dockings and approaches?

CheekyVisual
31st Aug 2011, 19:55
Anyone with the b***s to strap themselves to a liquid hydrogen oxygen rocket gets the right to log whatever hours they want whether they hold a stick or not !

I believe the "space age" astronauts, at least, did log all missions as flight time. Having read quite a few books on the subject I read that Dave Scott even logged his time alone in the CM on Apollo 9 as "solo" !

High_Expect
31st Aug 2011, 20:11
I bet the hours still wouldn't count towards keeping a PPL (A) current.... Well not if the CAA have anything to do with.

Ken Scott
31st Aug 2011, 20:24
None of the spacecraft are less than 5700kg MTOW anyway so the CAA would be right.

VinRouge
31st Aug 2011, 20:28
I think anyone who has read "carrying the fire" will testify that all of the Gemini and Apollo astronauts were true to life handling pilots. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do. Truly, the worlds greatest test pilots and left a legacy that the USA is rightly proud. Google armstrongs handling of his spacebourne emergency and you will realise the prowess of the pilots. I believe the astronauts had more issue with their tax status than logging hours! Its also worth reading up on Armstrongs ejection from the flying bed stead.

They might not have been of my generation, but heroes to me they certainly are. as for the shuttle, iTunes has an excellent series of lectures detailing the design of the shuttle, I believe from MIT. The true heroes there had to be the engineers, who overcame unbelievable engineering challenges to create the shuttle.

Edit: can be found here:

Aircraft Systems Engineering - Download free content from MIT on iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/itunes-u/aircraft-systems-engineering/id354869003)

jindabyne
31st Aug 2011, 20:38
tartare

I've no idea. But 'hats off' in all respects.

Vox Populi
31st Aug 2011, 20:52
None of the spacecraft are less than 5700kg MTOW anyway so the CAA would be right.

Less that 5700 in terms of weight? Yes, they are (virtually) zero in near Earth orbit, mass of course is a different matter.

And as for

I think requiring 1000 landings in the gulfstream shuttle simulator before being allowed to fly must count in the same way that the early Lightning pilots were qualed on type before every flying one (and today's A10 pilots, as I believe they have no t-bird).

tartare
1st Sep 2011, 02:16
Interesting - tks chaps.
Yes - have read First Man, Armstrong's biography.
Fantastic book.
In particular how he was found quietly working at his desk after ejecting from the bedstead.
The man has nerves of steel.