PDA

View Full Version : LOw /Slow BMI 320

pax britanica
31st Aug 2011, 06:05
driving east on A30 west of Camberley yesterday around 4 pm surrised to see what looked like a BMI A320 heading south flying seemingly slowly and seemingly unusually low -2000ft? across the area. Any ideas what that was about -way below the usal MID and SAM departures that come over here and wrong direction for easterlies at LHR. ? Any one else see it or track on SBS?
PB

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Aug 2011, 06:50
Farnborough inbound almost certainly..

Gonzo
31st Aug 2011, 07:59
Inbound to Farnborough for some filming.

pax britanica
31st Aug 2011, 08:44
Thank you gentlemen, certainly looked odd to see something that large so low over Camberley _ I assume it would have flown south of F.boro and then picked up the normal approach onto the westerly runway there. Although it was low enough to have possible made an approach from the north i would have throught it a bit close to the airfield for that. Anyway no doubt an enjoyable day out compared to normal routine for the crew.

And as the two of you repleid can I say i always enjoy your contributions to PP
Tks again
PB

Mr_Grubby
31st Aug 2011, 09:21
The Farnbourgh "spotters'' site lists it as BMI A320 G-MEDH.

Believed to be the first time for a BMI A320 into Farnbourgh. There have been however, BMR EMB 135's on football charters.

C.

pax britanica
31st Aug 2011, 14:52
Could I ask a supplemetary question
How would a flight like that LHR-FNB be handled and routed ATC wise from Heathrow-obviously none of the SIDs would really be appropriate as FNB is only about 15 miles from Heathrow

PB

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Aug 2011, 15:09
Good question. I know how it would have been handled back in the days of Pontius... but probably a bit more complex now.

However, as FNB is in South Africa.....................

Gonzo
31st Aug 2011, 15:46
PB,

I believe by default Heathrow - Farnborough flights get spat out by the central flight data computer as routeing via Compton. However, rather than giving them this route, we in the tower would liaise with both the flight crew and Heathrow Radar down at Swanwick (Who would talk to Farnborough Radar) to enable the flight to depart low-level (2400ft) on a more-or-less direct track.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Aug 2011, 16:05
Eminently sensible, eh?

Nubboy
31st Aug 2011, 21:25
Just had a gander at our AIMS flight info. Just over half an hour, chock to chock. Came back this afternoon.

ps Farnborough is FAB

pax britanica
1st Sep 2011, 14:58
Thanks all

Is that 30 mins actually in air which seems a long time for a direct trip. I suppose it was why I asked the question since I wondered how a large airliner would get positioned on the approach for EGLF (which I can remember if not the IATA code) if leaving LHR on westerlies I did ratehr imagine it would have to go all 'around the houses' and end up with long time for a very short journey.I imagine it is the shortest flight an airliner can do from LHR anyway
PB

SM82
1st Sep 2011, 15:55
The above post says chock to chock so that's pushback to arriving at gate

SpringHeeledJack
1st Sep 2011, 17:34
I imagine it is the shortest flight an airliner can do from LHR anyway

Probably, though I did a 10minute 'hop' on a DC-10 from LHR to LGW in the past. Perhaps with chock to chock time, it would have been close to the 30mins for your sighting.

SHJ

finncapt
2nd Sep 2011, 04:47
SHJ

That brings back memories - again DC10, 10 o'clock at night LGW-LHR 8 minutes airborne and about 15 minutes each end taxying (made a note of the airborne time in my logbook).

When we did it the other way at 9 am 2 days later, my logbook records the time as 1hr 25 min.

It sounds like you were on the same fleet as me.

udachi moya
2nd Sep 2011, 12:34
LHR-QLA 08 minutes from time on to landing, have done 2 QLA MX flights from LHR. Had 31 minutes holding at LHR, but then again cant complain as we werent scheduled

QLA via SAM SID, stop climb 4000ft (somewhere abeam T5 I think) - wouldnt like to play any lower or further around the south of the UK due to GAv traffic. Self positioned for QLA landing, good fun..