PDA

View Full Version : Alleged killer of WPC Fletcher found

HKPAX
31st Aug 2011, 04:38
Libya: suspect in killing of WPc Yvonne Fletcher found by rebel government - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8732090/Libya-suspect-in-killing-of-WPc-Yvonne-Fletcher-found-by-rebel-government.html)

I hear we have US$1.5 billion Libyan cash ready to ship out there. I would hold this cargo in the UK until the government there puts him on a plane coming over here.

Al Fakhem
31st Aug 2011, 08:20
I can see the so-called "public interest lawyers" rubbing their greedy hands already.....

A A Gruntpuddock
31st Aug 2011, 08:50
Not defending him in any way, but if it was illegal to try him then, how can it be legal now?

How could anyone get a fair trial after that length of time?

Senior Paper Monitor
31st Aug 2011, 09:31
We could bring him back and make sure !

How does that happen - I posted after reading Mad Dad's post (see below) ???

MadsDad
31st Aug 2011, 09:32
The other thing is that, on the BBC report, he was found dead.

Even harder to put him on trial now.

BBC News - Libya conflict: Fletcher murder suspect 'found dead' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14720406)

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2011, 12:11
The one mentioned in the Telegraph article is not the one found dead in the BBC report.

There are three named suspects (one now dead).

Standard Noise
31st Aug 2011, 12:38
Aye, bring him back, try him and jail him for life. Then he'll claim he was a terrorist and be released forthwith with a compensayshun package that would make yer eyes water.

It's all pointless, the people who run our country stopped giving a toss years ago, they have no backbone and it'll never happen! The sad thing is, all this talk is an opportunist soundbite that even Blair would have laughed at!

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2011, 12:59
At the time, much was made of the fact that PC Fletcher was shot in the back - implying a cowardly act.
Furthermore, it has been described as 'murder' - implying a conscious act of sniping, however, it is now being described as a random discharge of an automatic weapon spraying bullets - one of which hit and killed PC Fletcher.

IMO it is doubtful whether a conviction could be achieved (much as I would like to see PC Fletcher's death resolved).

We know the suspects but no amount of action will bring her back.

radeng
31st Aug 2011, 15:29
If whoever it was had diplomatic immunity then, surely he cannot magically have lost it in the intervening years. Thus surely a British court has no jurisdiction. Or is that too simplistic an approach?

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2011, 16:00
Diplomatic immunity can be waved by the state for which the diplomat was employed.

It is possible for the official's home country to waive immunity; this tends to happen only when the individual has committed a serious crime, unconnected with their diplomatic role (as opposed to, say, allegations of spying), or has witnessed such a crime. Alternatively, the home country may prosecute the individual. Many countries refuse to waive immunity as a matter of course; individuals have no authority to waive their own immunity (except perhaps in cases of defection).
From:- Diplomatic immunity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity)

HKPAX
31st Aug 2011, 16:11
G-CPTN mon ami: the word is "waived". Royalty / dictators wave at the lowly scum.

Seriously, this will be a "test case" for how the new guys can work in the wider world. We (Brits, French etc) have done everything for them, they need to realise the need for some form of payback. I do wonder if there can be a fair trial after all this time, but I also happen to think that a British court will treat a case fairly if no-one messes around with the evidence. If the new guys refuse to even consider extradition they need to be leaned upon very hard and I would expect Cameron-san to do the heavy leaning. This is prolly the last chance to get justice for this woman.

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2011, 16:15
Sticky eye . . . :*

radeng
31st Aug 2011, 18:02
I wonder if retrospective waiving would do, especially after so many years, and by a different governement. It would raise some interesting legal points, which added to the possible identification problems after so many years would probably make a prosecution very difficult.

I do wonder what would have happened to the Lockerbie bombers case if it had been pressed on appeal earlier right up the European Court of Justice, when so many anomalies would have been looked at. Which is why I believe they really let him out to avoid a lot of embarassment in Edinburgh, London and Washington.

But I doubt that we will ever know.

A A Gruntpuddock
31st Aug 2011, 18:16
"but I also happen to think that a British court will treat a case fairly" - hardi-har-har!

Looked at some of the recent sentences after the rioting? Or even the guy who made a joke about blowing up something and ended up in jail?

Loose rivets
31st Aug 2011, 23:09
Years after the event, I spent an hour or two with the senior officer at the scene. I was very impressed by him.

For me, it brought into focus the intense feelings those officers must have had when they were barred from following a legal path to the young lady's killer. Diplomatic immunity is one thing, shielding madmen by a blanket law, is another.

racedo
31st Aug 2011, 23:55
No chance of fair trial because of media.

Will UK agree to extradite any of its "Govt" people accused of crimes abroad even if they had Diplomatic immunity ?

Sadly the WPC's killers will never be brought to justice and the hypocrisy of politicians making point scoring makes it even worse.

rh200
1st Sep 2011, 00:08
Diplomatic immunity can be waved by the state for which the diplomat was employed.

Though can it be retroactively waived, by a different administration? Would be interesting in court! One suspects a KGB or Israeli approach might be more efficient.