PDA

View Full Version : Extra flying costs for a gonnabe (?) new PPL holder!

Ian_Wannabe
8th Aug 2001, 23:04
Hello!
I'm going to be doing my PPL(A) next summer (wohoo!!) and so I'd like to know what extra costs there will be.

I'm trying to find out, after I've spent my £5,000 'ish to get my PPL, how much on average will I have to spend each time I go out for a flight? On essentials such as fuel etc.

Also, what are the views of learning to fly in the USA and learning to fly in the UK??
Which is better and less time consuming etc.??

Thanks & happy flying ;)

SouthXross
9th Aug 2001, 13:53
Ian,

Where do you plan to do your training . . .

Ian_Wannabe
9th Aug 2001, 22:23
Hi, I'm thinking of doing it at Ormond Beach in Florida. However that's only being considered at the moment.

Otherwise when/if I pass I'll be flying in the UK probably from Hawarden, Chester.

FNG
10th Aug 2001, 11:08
Ian, you might get more replies if you ask your question in the private flying forum.

As for the costs of ppl flying, how much string do you have? Cost will depend upon what type of flying you want to do. If renting a club aircraft, solo hire rates will tend to be in the range £80-£120, depending on aircraft type, equipment level, and club location. Club rates are almost invariably "wet", so fuel, oil and insurance are included (NB not your own life insurance).

If you intend to fly a lot (and you should, as otherwise there is no point in obtaining the licence), then the most economical approach is to join a group owning one or more aircraft. Costs of acquiring a share and participating in a group vary widely depending upon the aircract type. Very economical flying can be obtained on PFA types such as Cubs and Austers and the various homebuilds (some of which are sophisticated machines far from the image of a cranky kit lashed up in a garage). If you want something sporty and aerobatic, or fast and IFR-capable, then you should budget accordingly as these types of flying are not cheap.

Add to your actual flying costs such things as: membership in a flying club (varies, say £50 to £100 per year), membership of an organisation such as PFA or AOPA (optional) purchase of charts, guides, and books, magazine subscriptions (not very expensive) headsets(expensive), toys such as GPS (expensive), life jackets, rafts, parachutes (depending on type of flying), and absolute essentials such as huge tacky shades, massive watches with more buttons than the Spaace Shuttle etc etc.

Also, you might like to do a search under Ormond Beach in the wannabes forum. It is a place much discussed.

Whatever you do, have fun and best of luck.

PS: on the ancient US v UK debate, my personal vote would be for UK, but this post is already overlong so I'll leave it to others to go over the familiar arguments on each side.

Julian
10th Aug 2001, 11:24
Good explanantion FNG, the £80-120 should be noted as per hour! If its a checkout you are doing (new type, x-channel, etc) this will be nearer £160/Hr. My local club charges £160/Yr before you even set foot in an aircraft!!

Joining a group is the way to go if you are going to do a lot of flying but pick carefully!! Do a bit of reasearch into the group, ie. numbers, monthly standing order, engine fund, hourly rates, etc Group makeup is always a good one to check out as this will def effect your flying availiably, by this I mean if the group is all professional people who work then chances are it will be a fight to get it at the weekends, get one with some retired people in it and they tend to fly in the week and free up the plane a little more.

My 2p worth, welcome to a very enjoyable pastime - just dont tell your bank manager!!!!! :o)

PS The UK/US debate has been flogged to death. I learnt in the US and fly in the US and UK now - do a search and you will find all the arugmenst.. :)

Julian.

Ian_Wannabe
11th Aug 2001, 02:32
Thanks guys for the replys.

Ain't aviation taxing....... (!)