PDA

View Full Version : the Triple 7

pax britanica
30th Aug 2011, 16:27
The 777

There is no doubt that the T7 is something of an engineering marvel its two main variants have phenomenal range, load carrying capability for Pax and cargo. It really does rule the long haul skies as the &44s gradually fly into the sunset and the A380 has yet to really make its mark in terms of numbers operational.
However I have to confess that I really do not like the T7 from a pax view point, I preferred the 744 and the A380 in my opinion is ina different class completely –doing a couple of recent trips comprising 380 connecting to T7 prompted me to write this and see if any others agree.
My gripes are
T7 is too narrow for 10 abreast in Y-luckily I fly mostly J
T7 struggles with cabin air refreshment –economic as those two engines are they don’t seem to cope well with the demands of cabin conditioning
T7 is noisy –overall noisy compared to the 380 and compared to the 744 sort of selectively noisy in as much as the fans have an irritating whine which moves up and down the scale as if the engines cannot hold a constant rpm and are always ‘hunting’ around a certain thrust setting in cruise.
T7 has an irritating wallowing flight path –not massively so but rather like the engine noise it seems a lot of the time to wallow gently around in roll.
So overall I really don’t like flying on it , will always choose a 380 ahead of it or a 747 or even a 330/340 . The other prompt for this little mini diatribe was reading that BA will go all T7 on LHR-HKG , one of my regular routes .

Is it just me?

Cymmon
30th Aug 2011, 16:55
I fly regularly from MAN via DOH to MNL, so I think you get the airline of choice. The first sector is normally A330-2/300, I also fly J, the seating here is not exactly brilliant but the flights seem stable with not much noise even without the noise cancelling headphones.

The 2nd sector is normally 777-2/300. The noise (from airflow?) seeems louder. The -200 seems more stable, not wallowing as much as the longer fuselage. Qatar use 9 across seating in Y and that looks adequate, not sure it would be comfortable 10 across. I'm also of the opinion of a seeming pulse to the sound of the engine.

I once flew Northwest Orient from LGW-MSP in a 747-1/200 and if I remember correctly it was 10 across, but as a 14 year old the seat wasn't required to be as wide. Maybe seats are now thinner across the base?

I do prefer the ride of the A330 but I love the interior arrangement on the the 777's.

TopBunk
30th Aug 2011, 17:06
PB

The other prompt for this little mini diatribe was reading that BA will go all T7 on LHR-HKG , one of my regular routes .

I think your information is incorrect.

1. The daily BA25/26 flights are scheduled to remain on the B744
2. The daily BA27/28 flights are scheduled to go to the B773
3. The trice weekly BA31/32 flights are scheduled for the B772

PAXboy
30th Aug 2011, 17:37
As it happens, only once been on the Triple (EWR~LHR) and was in Y. I walked thinking? What is the fuss about? It's just another, big ugly twin that is efficient for the carrier and of no character. See the other thread about favourite aircraft!!

pax britanica
30th Aug 2011, 21:38
TB
I think you are correct, I got the info off another well kmown airliner focussed web site but having done alittle research one trip appears still to be 744 - so I shall have a chance of getting what iwant

vctenderness
31st Aug 2011, 11:18
The vast majority of BA cabin crew have a clear preference for the 744 over the 777.

Some of this can be put down to facilities available for crew on board however for many years there has been reports of crew feeling unwell, dizzy, nauseaus etc whilst working on the 777.

Whilst travelling as a passenger my preference is always for the 747 and in particular the upper deck which I always think as akin to a private jet.

I wonder if Virgin cabin crew prefer 747 over A340?

GROUNDHOG
31st Aug 2011, 16:05
777 is a great machine I am sure but once again as a passenger I really don't like it. BA lost a booking from my family earlier this year because I had the chance with another airline to fly 747 for much the same price. No logical reason just don't like it.

Ancient Observer
31st Aug 2011, 18:37
Groundhog.
Spot on. I agree.

Rush2112
8th Sep 2011, 05:18
Funny, when I went SIN - LHR earlier this year I specifically chose the flights with SQ's 777 over the 380. The main reason being LHR T3 cannot handle the bags coming off a 380(!)

I didn't notice any issues with it, my cattle class seat was fine, as far as cattle class can be and I think I had enough air. It was a bit lumpy at times but I didn't notice anything out of ordinary.

I do agree that the 380 is very quiet, indeed the quietest plane I have ever been on and at times when I have half woken up and not heard any engine sounds it is a bit unsettling...

WHBM
8th Sep 2011, 19:51
There does seem general agreement that the 777 is notably noisier aircraft inside its cabin than its competitors, I have wondered exactly why this is. Engine positioning ? Noise transmitted through the air conditioning ? Thundering through the night long haul on one is not my transport of choice at all. Certainly on the BA fleet, whether the engines are GE or RR seems to make no difference. 747 is far better.

For a long time I was so impressed with the A340 in the cruise for quietness, and the A330 is nearly as good, but the A380 seems to have beaten them all. Does Airbus actually put more sound insulation into their aircraft ?

PAXboy
8th Sep 2011, 20:54
Thread drift as this is about the Triple.
Having not been on the 380, does it depend on which deck you are? Presumebly, the upper deck is not just further from the donkeys but the curvature of the fuselage changes the angle at which sound strikes it.

Big Tudor
8th Sep 2011, 21:09
Paxboy - I travelled CDG-JNB earlier this year on AF A380. Outbound was upstairs, return was downstairs. Have to say I didn't notice a difference in the noise level. Extremely quiet on both decks (eerily quiet as has been mentioned earlier).

As for the T7, I have to agree with previous posters that the noise is noticeably higher than other types. Really starts to grate on longer sectors (10 hrs +). Would rather be on B747, A380 or even A340 on long flights, however the economics make the T7 just too attractive to the airlines.

PAXboy
8th Sep 2011, 21:49
Thanks BT. One of the PR points that Boeing made with the T7 was the size of the motors. I recall a diagram showing that the dimension of them is almost equiovalent to the whole fuselage of the original 737-100 (I sit to be corrected on that) in which case they are MASSIVE and must make a massive amount of noise. The benefit of the operator, as you say, is in two motors not four.

jetset lady
9th Sep 2011, 09:59
I must be a bit weird but strangely, I find the drone of the 777 engines and the slight rocking motion quite soothing.

Thanks BT. One of the PR points that Boeing made with the T7 was the size of the motors. I recall a diagram showing that the dimension of them is almost equiovalent to the whole fuselage of the original 737-100 (I sit to be corrected on that) in which case they are MASSIVE and must make a massive amount of noise. The benefit of the operator, as you say, is in two motors not four.

Just for you, PAXboy, here's one I took earlier...

http://oi52.tinypic.com/246l5x0.jpg

737-500 tucked up under the wing of a 777-200

SLF3
9th Sep 2011, 10:16
A330 / 340 is much quieter than the 777. The 777 seems quieter than the 747 (other than right at the front) but the noise it makes I find more intrusive

The fuselage width of the 330 / 340 seems to discourage airlines from cramming in an extra seat across the cabin, so the very narrow 10 abreast 777 / 747 economy seat is unique to Boeing. (The A320 is also wider than the 737...)

My other beef with the 777 is the icy draught down the back of your neck if you sit in a centre block aisle seat. This seems to be a generic 777 issue, not specific to one air line or engine type.

For passenger comfort, in my experience, Airbus across the range are better than Boeing - though I suspect the 777 has better economics than the A330 / 340. The white 'smoke' (water vapour) pouring out of the air vents when the engines start on hot / humid days and the crackling noise from the ceiling is a bit disconcerting though...

Despite the above, the upper deck of a 747 is still the only way to go.

hawk-eye
11th Sep 2011, 17:59
Hi,

I flew on a 777 from LHR to ATL a few weeks ago and a 747-400 from SFO to LHR, both flights with BA (WT premium outbound to the states and cattle flying back).

I can't say there were any issues with air on the 777, if anything I was a little chilly and the air was certainly much better than what I get in my office working for a blue chip company. We had a bumpy landing due to cross-wind but the aircraft itself was ok. On the 747-400 I found it impossible to get any sleep flying cattle, compared to a good few hours the last time I flew Virgin out of LAX.

On the 777 flight however BA messed up the special meal order and the in-flight entertainment system didn't work until 2 hours into a 9 hour flight. Flying premium in row 24 I knew about it every single time someone used the lavatory in the middle of the aircraft as the vacuum flush makes enough noise to be audible when wearing headphones, despite the engine noise. I can't say I noticed any wallowing or rocking on the T7, in fairness it was a very smooth flight until the airbrakes were deployed on decent. For pure comfort and better service however I would choose to fly Virgin's Airbus A340 is in a different league to BA's 777.