PDA

View Full Version : RAF flying schol, my PPL and Glenrothes airport, info needed!

Rusty Cessna
20th Feb 2001, 01:50
Hi there,

I am looking for some information to set my mind straight with regard to the RAF Flying Scholarship Scheme at Glenrothes Fife.

What Im mainly after is if anyone has any experience with the club to give me some info on what they are like, what sort of aircraft im likely to be flying under the RAF scholarship scheme and so on.

Also if anyone has gone through the scheme at fife, or anywhere else could they tell me what its like, as much detail as you can give is apreciated. The main thing is though, I intend to have my PPL by the time I do the course, so im hoping that I will be able to either do more hours that usual solo, or do something different, I know this is a bit cocky but is there any chance of that?

Im going to bone up on the particular aircraft type before I start the course so thats why im looking for info on their aircraft. Thanks very much for all your info peeps, greatly apreciated.

Speedbird 2946
20th Feb 2001, 02:51
Dear Mr Cessna,

Well hello there. As a man indeed trained by yonder mentioned FTO I thought I should chip in my two bobs worth for you.

Right, let me get the airfield map...

Ah yes here we are. Fife Airport is wholly owned and operated by Tayside Aviation ( www.taysideaviation.co.uk (http://www.taysideaviation.co.uk) ) and sits on the Western isde of the town of Glenrothes, funnily enough in Fife.

The runways run 07/25 and are 700m x 18m. The runway is asphalt and the airfield has threshold/runway APAPI, NDB and Air/Ground radio services. The flying club itself is small and it, along with a small pilot shop, is attached to the licensed and popular restaurant and bar called 'The Tipsy Nipper.' The approach to 25 is non-standard and good fun as you have to edit your base leg because of houses underneath the would-be approach path.

As for aircraft Tayside operates three types: Katana, C152 and PA28. I trained on the C152 and the ac you will fly depends on where you are based. I have a feeling that Fife probably trains its cadets on the C152 and Dundee mainly on the Katana, but don't quote me on that. The company also has a 152 Aerobat.

For the RAF FS you are credited with 20 hours of flying at Tayside and, as long as it is agreed before hand by both parties (RAF and Tayside) you can definitely do something other than the standard cadet course with your hours. You could do an IMC rating for example, or maybe a Night..I'm not sure on the night though. I've seen a student do instrument flying but I'm sorry to say I can't remember if it was IMC or IR training.

As for exams you will have to sit three JAR exams: Air Law, Air Tech and Human Performances and Limitations. The once mandatory hardcore oral now seems to be optional (for that you just LEARNT by heart 4 sides of technical info on your aircraft type) I thought it was worthwhile but perhaps the powers that be don't think so!

Tayside has undergone major changes regarding instructors since I was trained there, with a lot having moved onto the airlines successfully so I can't really vouch for the new guys... but if they are anything like the current bunch I know then you'll have a WHALE of a time.

E-mail me for more info on Flying Schols if you like people, glad to help!!

Speedbird 2946

Mister Geezer
20th Feb 2001, 03:10
Hi RC!

Well if you come to Glenrothes for your FS then Tayside Aviation will be looking after you. I am 99% sure you will be flying C152s. Glenrothes airfield (also known as Fife Airport) is a nice place, however can't comment on the social scene out with the airfield because I haven't been to Glenrothes town itself!

There is a 700m x 18m (2296ft x 59ft) Asphalt runway (07-25) which looks very small if you are used to larger strips, however it does the job nicely! Now I must tell you that the residents of Glenrothes must be members of the CAA... no that CAA but the other one (Campaign Against Aviation!!!!) because on no account must you fly over any populated area near the airfield due to noise! Once you get used to the special arrival / departure routes then it is a piece of cake but can be a bit annoying taking the long way round to descend or climb.

Landing on 07 or taking off on 25 requires no special procedures. Taking off on 07 or landing on 25 is a bit more fun. Usually on departure from 07 a right turn is made shortly after departure and for the arrival for 25 you join on a really really tight left base for 25 to join on a very short final. You turn on finals over the 'golf course' which puts you on final at a few hundred feet AGL. Certainly that is how I last flew in there!

There can be some nice flying round the Glenrothes area if it is a nice day, however it can be busy. Dundee and Perth can have a lot of G/A activity and they are just north of Glenrothes. Nearer to the airfield is RAF Leuchars, keep an eye out for any military traffic that they might not tell you about. If you have a transponder when talking to Leuchars, my advice is get a Radar Information Service because if on some occasions how won't hear much from them unless you don't! There is a gliding airfield not far from Glenrothes and there is Edinburgh just down the road with a big blob of controlled airspace associated with it! It might look bad when reading it on here but once you look at a map then you see that it is not too bad!

Glenrothes has a AFIS facility on the field and that usually keep you up to speed with what is happing, in terms of traffic.

Anyway if you have any questions then post away I will try and help where I can!

MG

------------------
It's a limited RAS as you approach my dark area.......

DB6
20th Feb 2001, 05:19
Rusty, you will be on the C152 as all the Katanas are based at Dundee now. You can do training other than to the scholarship syllabus however you will have to do the FPC (Final Progress Check - mini skill test) and be graded on that for the report that goes to Cranwell. If you need any more specific info e-mail me.
Cheers DB6

Lucifer
20th Feb 2001, 15:17
And watch out for the gliding site to the NW of the field.

Does anybody knows where A. Eales has gone now if he has left Perth? Give me an e-mail if you know. Just curious.

Mr B. Tupp
21st Feb 2001, 01:16
Lucifier- A Eales is now flying for BRAL at GLA.