PDA

View Full Version : Air India - Yet Another Mishap averted at Kochi airport

estranged soul
30th Aug 2011, 14:02
Yet another mishap was averted at Kochi 30 Aug 2011, 1843 hrs IST, AGENCIES Yet another mishap was averted on Sunday (Aug 21) at the International Airport in Kochi when the tail of an Air Indian Express filght IX 419 from Kochi to Abu Dhabi with 192 passengers struck the runway after which an emergency landing took place. This incident occured just six hours before the the 137-passenger Gulf Air plane Airbus A-320 from Bahrain, skidded off the runway and broke its nose-wheel yesterday (Aug 29) while landing at Kochi.

Aviation sources tell TIMES NOW that there was a major damage to the tail assembly of the aircraft. Reports also says that both the pilots have been derostered by the DGCA.

However, eventual landing took place after one and a half hours as the flight flew around to burn excess fuel. All the passengers aboard were safe but were put through a stressful period of 90 minutes before it as forced to land.

The pilot calculated his takeoff speed and input weight as 54 tons. Major . Both Pilots, derostered by the DGCA. Prelim report says , callous attitude by the pilot inputting incorrect weight'. Cabin crew reported hissing noise in the cabin. Report also says that the aircraft to be checked by Boeing before use again. Aircraft flying now, currently in Sharjah.

Yet another mishap was averted at Kochi- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos (http://www.timesnow.tv/Yet-another-mishap-was-averted-at-Kochi/articleshow/4382667.cms)

captjns
30th Aug 2011, 15:38
And where was the First Officer during this episode:ugh::}:mad:?

flyjet787
30th Aug 2011, 15:43
TIMES NOW is full of C&$#HS and self proclaimed experts in every god damn field. They just sensationalize stuff with their brilliant aviation knowledge and computer graphics and other BS. Yes AIX had a tail strike which is a major incident. I am not questioning that. But the fact that every time AI is involved Arnab.G and his team seems to get a hard on.

They had a tail strike and the DGCA was informed. What else are they expected to do?? Run to every news channel and say please run our tail strike story and entertain your viewers?

Tail-strikes ground SpiceJet aircraft - Hindustan Times (http://www.hindustantimes.com/Tail-strikes-ground-SpiceJet-aircraft/Article1-733116.aspx)

This above article involves a similar incident on a 737-900ER of SG. The same aircraft has had tail strikes 4 times in the last 3 yrs of which 3 happened this year itself. Why didn't Times now or any other news channel run a Breaking News story on this incident?

I am not defending AIs safety record nor am I claiming that they are better than the Pvt carriers. They are given step motherly treatment just because their PR team (if they even have one) doesn't entertain Arnab and his team. The inconsistency in reporting news/incidents by the news channels is what bothers me. Its not just a question of AI as there are a lot more stories that do not get the required attention and other BS which is not even worth reporting in the news still makes it with breaking news written all over it.

The news channel control everything these days. And unfortunately we can do nothing about it but to just believe it. If there was a Board, Committee etc to control or looks into what is being reported on the news then they cry that they are not being allowed to report the truth etc. and when you give them freedom they choose who and what they want to report on. Sad state of affairs.:ugh:

This is so damn true.
Journalist "EXPOSING" English media of INDIA..... - YouTube

Who ever the crew, dispatch staff etc. were I hope AI and DGCA takes proper action against them. From the news reports it looks like they got the weights wrong. I wonder if the dispatch itself gave them wrong figures or the crew used the wrong weights.

flyjet787
30th Aug 2011, 15:47
And where was the First Officer during this episode:ugh:http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif? The right question would be..what was the Pilot Monitoring doing? For all we know the F/O might be the Pilot flying.

estranged soul
30th Aug 2011, 18:50
The right question would be..what was the Pilot Monitoring doing? For all we know the F/O might be the Pilot flying.

Pilot Flying .. Pilot Monitoring !! ... in Air India ?? hahaha good joke !

I know the work culture only too well in that airline.

PF, PM, Captain, First Officer etc roles exist only on paper.

In reality, in Air India operating procedures, you have the following two crew members :

1. Boss or King (who sits on left seat)

2. Servant or Slave (who sits on right seat and carries captain's flight bag when not in air)

:D

flyjet787
30th Aug 2011, 19:07
Pilot Flying .. Pilot Monitoring !! ... in Air India ?? hahaha good joke !

I know the work culture only too well in that airline.

PF, PM, Captain, First Officer etc roles exist only on paper.

In reality, in Air India operating procedures, you have the following two crew members :

1. Boss or King (who sits on left seat)

2. Servant or Slave (who sits on right seat and carries captain's flight bag when not in air)
That happens in almost every airline. You have some captains who like to treat other crew members (not just F/Os) like their servants and then there are some good ones who are professional with other crew members. I have heard of both these types at AI and other airlines in India as well.

But the point I was trying to make was that it could be the F/O who was doing the Take off and not the captain. I guess we will have to wait for sometime before we know who was flying the A/C.

HAWK21M
8th Sep 2011, 21:26
The Media topics are normally our coffee break joke session.
:ugh: