PDA

View Full Version : Passenger MD-11's?

Malaysian28
30th Aug 2011, 13:54
Just a few quick questions. (1) Does anyone know who still flys the MD-11 in Passenger Service?

I could only find:
KLM
World Airways
Saudi Arabian?

The reason I ask is I would like to fly on one before they all disapear from passenger service.

(2) I will be visiting Manchester Airport on 22nd September does anyone have the times for the Lufthansa Cargo MD-11?

Regards
Mark (Malaysian28)

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
30th Aug 2011, 14:21
LH MD-11 operates Wednesdays, not Thursdays, so you'll need to be a day earlier.

1915 local in and 20.45 local out on 21/9.

Flightmech
30th Aug 2011, 15:55
KLM will be your best bet. Most of the World machines, I believe, are tied up on ACMI and Military charter work.

mutt
30th Aug 2011, 16:02
Saudi Arabian? They don't operate the MD11 in passenger service.

Mutt

V800
30th Aug 2011, 17:49
Second vote for KLM, they tend to use them on N America and Caribbean services including the Friday flight to St Maarten.

Peover Prop
30th Aug 2011, 19:44
Shame you were not at Manchester this weekend World Airways MD11 and Lufthansa MD11 were consecutive departures on sunday afternoon the World was on charter to Air Transat so you may drop lucky on your visit

Malaysian28
31st Aug 2011, 12:32
They don't operate the MD11 in passenger service.

Mutt I wasn't sure hence the Question Mark?
On further research Saudi Arabian retain two in Pax operations but these are VIP configured or for Saudi Royal Family Only.
So Saudi are Out.

Many thanks to everyone who replied, it was great help.
I will see if I can go on one of the KLM MD-11 over the St Maarten or else where in N America in November or next Feburary.

Its a shame no LH cargo on the Thursday, I wont be able to make the Wednesday due to other comitments and the fact that I live just over 200 miles away in West London.

Mark (Malaysian 28)

ianjlloyd
31st Aug 2011, 13:13
Not quite in point, but I am a fairly regular passenger with KLM from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro. For the last couple of years the flight has been flown by a 777. I notice that my flight next year is scheduled for an MD11. I was just wondering why the change? It seems the MD11 carries slightly fewer passengers but in my ignorance I would have thought that a 3 engined, older, plane would be more expensive to run than the 777.

I've no particular worries about the MD11 and some reviews I have read suggest it is a more comfortable vessel than the 777.

Skipness One Echo
31st Aug 2011, 14:21
Is there a reason that KLM.com only gives the Air France via CDG option when booking out of London? It's good to C H O O S E.

Hotel Tango
31st Aug 2011, 14:39
SOE, a little more info would help. Dest and date for starters. There could be several reasons depending on frequency, connecting times and availability.

Skipness One Echo
31st Aug 2011, 23:15
To be honest I have tried March / April this year and last summer as well. Was keen to combine beach, beer and TriJet but on each occasion I was offered the Airbus option over CDG. Perhaps AF / KLM divvy up connections by POS of origin?

V800
1st Sep 2011, 17:57
When looking for flights to St Maarten the system picks what it thinks are the best flights and connections on either AF or KLM. Given the tight connections on offer at either hub it may be better to make seperate bookings and spend the night in Amsterdam on the outbound. I know the airlines are supposed to look after people who miss connections if on the same ticket but with only three flights a week or a re-route (probably minus your luggage) via Paris the next day your holiday is screwed.

On the return to the UK the system will pick the non stop AF over the KLM flight that calls at another island on the way back.

Malaysian28
1st Sep 2011, 19:35
I too have had similar problems, every time we look at KLM site we always seem to get the AF flights from CDG to SXM when orginating from London.

So me and my mate where thinking of taking the Eurostar/Thalys out to AMS and catch an MD-11 from there to SXM.

Other places we where thinking of going where Montreal or Vancouver which also see the MD-11's but it would be mightly cold in November/Febuary!

MLHeliwrench
1st Sep 2011, 19:44
Come to Vancouver!

Should be between 0 and plus 8 or so....go skiing in whistler!

Hotel Tango
2nd Sep 2011, 09:30
From what I can see in the Summer scheduules, KLM operate AMS-SXM only 3times per week (Tue, Fri, Sun). The Tue and Sun flights depart AMS at 0820thus there are no same day connections available from any UK departure points. Those, however, are B747 flights. The only MD-11 operation is the Friday rotation which departs 1100. Connections from the UK would be possible and may well be offred if you specify a fixed Friday date.

Having just tried it, indeed their reservation engine does not offer an AMS connection on the Friday flight although clearly it is possible. May I suggest you contact KLM reservations and ask them if this is an error? I use KLM quite often and have in the past had to bring anomalies to their attention. One, which they clearly knew about, took them months to fix. In the meantime the only option was to make the reservation by telephone.

Charges will be waved if it is proven that said reservation cannot be made on line because of a technical glitch on their side.

Mr Mac
2nd Sep 2011, 11:36
Mrs Mac is a frequant flier (monthly) on the Vancouver route in Business and loves the plane. However she has been told they are changing to A330 soon, so if you are going to fly MD11 on that route you need to do it before Spring next year . If you fly Business go for the low numbers on the seats as that was the First Class cabin, bit more room.