PDA

View Full Version : New Scam

Lon More
30th Aug 2011, 12:59
Just received this If you recently placed an order at our store, please be aware you order may be delayed for a few days because of hurricane Irene.
We promice all orders will be shipped and delivered as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Helen
Support Team Nearly caught me out as I do a fair bit of business with the East Coast.

WillDAQ
30th Aug 2011, 14:04
Not really seeing the scam element of this?

Lon More
30th Aug 2011, 14:06
Not really seeing the scam element of this

If you open the link (deleted) you would probably have opened your computer to a phishin attempt, or worse.

Airborne Aircrew
30th Aug 2011, 14:08
We promice all orders

The spelling error automatically identifies it as a scam... It's a hallmark of scams is bad spelling... :E

RJM
30th Aug 2011, 15:51
Could be setting up a cover for diverting orders. A classic scam is for scammer to ring a supplier with an urgent order for delivery to X retailer, then just as retailer's incoming goods dept is about to accept delivery, scammer rolls up in van with supplier's name on the side - 'Lucky I caught this delivery - I think you'll find you didn't actually order this shipment; it was sent here in error. I'll take the goods and redirect them. Sorry for the inconvenience.'

Ozzy
30th Aug 2011, 17:12
The scam was the hurricane...:E

Ozzy

Lon More
30th Aug 2011, 17:42
Just received another, identical, one but with this as a signature Disclaimer:
sockdolager. The waves most washed me off the raft, sometimes, but I
for luck, and this time he made the trip.
lovely sight, all them yaller-boys. My, the way the king\'s eyes did
then a scream from the baby awoke me, and there was that tent
himself he went to sucking at the jug again. His foot swelled up
"Wait!" said Aunt Hannah, and put out her hand and stayed the girl
She broke the splendid news to Sally, and he, too, said,

Safe to assume it's a scam, I think

SpringHeeledJack
30th Aug 2011, 19:06
I realise that it changes nothing, but whenever I reflect on all these miscreants who wait for every 'event' to pounce on whomever to extract money/goods/information, I just wonder....what kind of life does such a person lead ? Is it a short career or does one climb the ladder, so to say :yuk: Let's hope that they aren't believers in karma ;)

SHJ

racedo
30th Aug 2011, 20:25
I realise that it changes nothing, but whenever I reflect on all these miscreants who wait for every 'event' to pounce on whomever to extract money/goods/information, I just wonder....what kind of life does such a person lead ?

Good one I reckon, Govts always look after themselves.

Sallyann1234
30th Aug 2011, 22:57
You'd have to be pretty stupid to fall for this one I received yesterday.
Apart from the appalling grammar, a numbered ATM card has apparently been issued to me, and yet they don't know my name:

attn: Value Attendant,

The Senate House wish to officially inform for the month of August 2011, that
your ATM CARD (ATM Card Number; 4278763100030014) has been accredited with
your favor. Your Personal Identification Number is 577.

The ATM Card Value is $6.8MILLION USD. You are advice to contact Mr. Goodluck
W. Taylor via Email:([email protected]) with the following
information's;

FULL NAME:
DELIVERY ADDRESS:
PHONE NUMBER:
RELIGION:
SEX:
Please you are advice to call for more information on how to receive your ATM
CARD with this direct office cell number: +234-7040 5977 56

Best Regards,
Mrs Sarah Sosan Onigbongbo LCDA
Deputy Governor Of Lagos State

pigboat
31st Aug 2011, 13:53
Here's a new one on me.

It is understandable that you might be a little bit apprehensive because you do not know me, i am from Hong Kong and my name is William, i work in Hang Seng Bank but i have a business of mutual interest to share with you if interested please just reply me for details on my private
email([email protected])

Now, that's nothing to get excited over, just some tw!t wetting a line, but here's where it's from according to the sender.

Stephen Alex [[email protected]]

I looked up Monmouth University and it seems to be a pretty decent college in New Jersey. Money must be tight if they are lending their IP to scammers.

Lon More
31st Aug 2011, 14:27
I think they're using a genuine address to cloak their own Pigboat

I seem to be on their lists and occasionaly get spam from myself.

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2011, 14:46
Worse than any of the email spam (which intercepted by the filter) - I have been found by the Readers Digest (are they still going?).

I spent years getting myself removed from the RD mailing list (at a previous address), only to find myself back in their clutches again! :ugh:

WillDAQ
31st Aug 2011, 15:35
If you open the link (deleted) you would probably have opened your computer to a phishin attempt, or worse.

Right, with a link that would make sense.

pigboat
31st Aug 2011, 15:48
I think they're using a genuine address to cloak their own Pigboat
That would be my guess. I also guess that Stephen Alex is a faculty member who's being used. I made an attempt to contact Monmouth to inform them they're being used by scammers, but there's so many layers of bs to cut through I gave up in disgust.

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2011, 16:12
there's so many layers of bs to cut through I gave up in disgust. Likewise the local (county) council.

I sent an email (concerning flooding) to a contact in the highways department.

I received an automated 'out of office' reply telling me that said person is on annual leave until 6th September, then inviting me to contact his deputy (name given) but nowhere can I find that person's email address. My guess at the standard format was bounced as 'not known' . . .

Capetonian
31st Aug 2011, 16:52
Just wait for the Gadaffi ones to start coming .....

[email protected]/yahoo.com/yahoo.com.hk

The stupidity of the scammers is exceeded only by the stupidity of those who believe that any of this crap might be genuine.

Apparently it's quite easy to spoof an email address in the 'from' part of an email.

Lon More
2nd Sep 2011, 11:24
Just wait for the Gadaffi ones to start coming .....Don't know about that, but just received one of these Castro (http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/08/31/fidel-castro-dead-in-spam-attack/) virus.

GROUNDHOG
2nd Sep 2011, 14:17
I think they have started just had one from Salim Sadi Salim from Libya wanting help in the UK and South Africa, didn't open the link of course!

pigboat
2nd Sep 2011, 21:03
Here's what Hoax-Slayer has to say about the Castro e-mail.

Fidel Castro Sector Zero virus warning. (http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fidel-castro-sector-zero-virus-hoax.shtml)

Capetonian
2nd Sep 2011, 21:12
"This worm spreads itself in an email message with the subject 'Mala Noticia' (Bad news) about the death of Fidel Castro

They got that wrong, the death of any dictator, specially a communist, has to be good news.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Sep 2011, 21:15
The spelling error automatically identifies it as a scam... It's a hallmark of scams is bad spelling...

Must be a lot of scammers on PPruNe then, AA ;)

Nervous SLF
2nd Sep 2011, 21:46
I had one the other day which I reported to Paypal, it was indeed a fake but I have to say a very good fake.

On the down side I had a "fake" e-mail from my Bank which I reported and deleted snag was it was a genuine one :) No harm done though and the cust service dept and me had a laugh.

Ringwayman
2nd Sep 2011, 21:48
Had a couple of scams from the same gmail address last week. What caught my eye was this line :
This payment mode agreement was SIGNED Friday by the above WEST AFRICA GOVERNMENT to see that they obeyed the current order from the America new President elect (Barrack Obama),

Would have to pay $107 to get $50,000 (which would come in blocks of $5000) and then would have to go to Benin to get the remaining $800,000... in cash.

Lon More
3rd Sep 2011, 09:20
They got that wrong, the death of any dictator, specially a communist, has to be good news.

If it had been about certain right- wingers, Bush, Old or Older, Thatcher, or Steyn van Ronge I would have willingly sacrificed a computer on the chance that it was genuine

OFSO
3rd Sep 2011, 10:36
Nervous has a point.....last week my German credit card was refused here in Spain (this is happening a lot as Spain and France now insist on chip 'n pin cards which Germans have yet to get around to) - an hour later supposed bank telephoned me, only it wasn't supposed bank but real bank, "following fraudulent activity on your account we are blocking card ab sofort and sending you a new one".

No attempt to get details (other than my address and birthdate to confirm to whom they were speaking) and they read to me details of the last (genuine) transaction.

I think the phishing and other scams are easy to identify as fake: but it is much harder to confirm genuine calls as such now we are all so suspicious.

Lou Scannon
3rd Sep 2011, 11:42
I had one the other day that seemed to be from a friend in Canada who "had just flown to London for a vacation and had been mugged for her credit cards and cash. Would I please send a large cash amount to a Western Union type address to solve the problem?"

Needless to say the friend was still in Montreal unaware that her email address had been nicked.

Lon More
3rd Sep 2011, 11:57
OFSO you could also have called them back on the number on the back of your card. Prevents scam, and ives the bank some info if the phishing was a genuine attempt

Slasher
3rd Sep 2011, 12:07
Lola must be one bloody small midget.....

Hi There. I am a very fun gal who loves to take photos as
well as receive them... You can find me in the first row of
this page:

I am giving out my personal info here:

http://4698509.blah blah etc

Username: Lolakiss
I am a: Woman
Height: 5-6
Weight: 12 Lbs
Hair: Brown currently

Kisses

Lola

OFSO
3rd Sep 2011, 18:03
OFSO you could also have called them back on the number on the back of your card

Lon, there is no number on the back of this credit card, just the address.
Perhaps if you are a German and your credit card has a problem, you write a letter instead of phoning.

However I did call the bank afterwards and they confirmed.

Capetonian
3rd Nov 2011, 15:11
BT phishing scam - slightly more plausible than most, specially if you do have a BT Internet account.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/Helios340/btscam.jpg

The link goes to :

xxxx//djproyo.com.ar/Player/account/bt.com/bt&Portal/securitymail/Loginaccount/true&site&Area/user100/index.html

Lon More
3rd Nov 2011, 15:48
A couple of giveaways there
To Undisclosed recipients - a bit greedy and obviously sent to a whole list, not just yourself
Dear Customer - your name would appear here
Payment of bill - not English English
In this case, non UK adress in the link

I would also expect to see a phone number - although this could even be a premium rate scam in itself.

Capetonian
3rd Nov 2011, 16:02
I know ... as you say, several giveaways but it is a lot better than many I see. No spelling mistakes for a start.

I always laugh when I get scam emails from Microsoft, for example, and they come from a (spoofed) yahoo.com address!

unstable load
4th Nov 2011, 07:55
A mate got the old tried and tested one that makes an order from the business, pays by cheque and then discovers a mistake that requires a refund, before the original cheque clears, of course.
Sadly for the scammer, he was born at night, just not last night.:E

Capetonian
4th Nov 2011, 08:56
A variation on this one is :

"I agree your price of 2500 and I will pay you with a cheque from my client which is for 3000 and you can send the difference back to me by Western Union....."

MadsDad
11th Nov 2011, 15:04
Just got an e-mail, "I am The Rt Hon David Cameron MP,Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury and Minister for the Civil Service British Government.".

First time I've ever had a communication directly from a Prime Minister. And he's telling me I've got a 2 million quid account to draw on.

Only problem is I've got to reply to William Hague and he's so like, last year.

Capetonian
11th Nov 2011, 15:26
MadsDad you obviously don't move in the right circles, I get emails from Ban Ki Moon, he's a bigger fish than Cameron. Odd that he uses a yahoo.com email address though but I guess the UN is hit by the recession just like the rest of us.

onetrack
11th Nov 2011, 15:39
You blokes must move in the right circles to get emails from such "esteemed members" of the ruling class. The best I've got recently was an email from a scammer, telling me my Windoze registration has expired and I have to pay $9.95 to extend it, if I want to keep using my computer programs. "Just click on this link"... :suspect:

I bounced the email back to the scammer, making it appear my email address is no longer valid... and he had the temerity to send the request back to me again, the next day!
Not only was this bloke a small thinker (moneywise), he must have been pretty dumb not to see an "invalid address" notice from his ISP.

He must have got the message, the second time I bounced his email back to him, because he's left me alone since.
Maybe he got enough "Windoze registration renewal" payments the next day to keep his gang boss off his back... :suspect:

G-CPTN
6th Dec 2011, 13:18
Email received from a bank where I actually DO have an account (makes a change)

We noticed irregular activity in your Co-operative Bank Account through your Card.
For your protection, you must verify this activity before you can continue using our online Access.
You can verify this using the verification reference below.
https://onlinebanking.nationwide.co.uk/AccessManagement/Login
Hovering over the URL (in the email) shows that it redirects to:- hotbabe.sassytweet.com/app/img/default.php
The URL is followed by this reassuring message:-
Please be assured that in the unlikely case that money is ever taken from your accounts, as a result of computer or mobile crime, we will repay it in full.The text of the email is all good grammar and spelling, and with convincing logos and a plausible reply address, so, no doubt some customers will be duped.

candoo
6th Dec 2011, 13:36
On a good note I have been ordering Christmas pressies on-line and at every transaction my bank has called/texted me confirming my purchases. I was "touched" for 1300 earlier this year and my bank could not have been more helpfull, replaced in my account within minutes and no great questions asked.

Dave Gittins
6th Dec 2011, 14:01
I got my Pay-Pal account suspended last week for irregular activity.

How did they know it was oddly out of character for me to spend 9.99 on a tube of deck lubricant for the running machine we haven't used in 5 years ?

Fiedishly clever some folks. :E

acbus1
6th Dec 2011, 17:26
They obviously identified you as a slippery customer.

Capetonian
6th Dec 2011, 17:46
My CC issuer blocked a transaction last week for an air ticket to South Africa, in my name, via an online travel agency which I used regularly, saying it was 'out of pattern', despite the fact that I do it 5 or 6 times a year.

A couple of years ago, they failed to block a transaction for 6 tickets from Lagos to Johannesburg, in 'other' names (Iyama Skamma .... type of names!), which were definitely out of pattern!

priapism
7th Dec 2011, 00:34
They never give up. I've had this one emailed to me several times. I was thinking of baiting him but couldn't be bothered any more!

FROM THE DESTOP
OF MR.COPART MCAFEE.
REALM FINANCE BANK,
UNITED KINGDOM.
TEL. +44 7031 875229

ATTENTION:

I seek for your co-operation; my name is Mr. Copart McAfee and i am a banker with Realm Finance Bank here in London. I was the personal accountant to late engineer Michael, who used to work with British oil major total company here. Herein, shall be referred to as my client. On the 21st of April 2007, Mr. Michael, his wife and his three children were involved in a drastic car accident along Rodney Road, Portsmouth, Hants, PO4 8SX. Unfortunately he and his three kids lost their lives immediately in the event of the accident, while the wife was taken to the hospital where she died three days later. Their bodies were kept in the mortuary for five months, in order for the authority, to carry out a proper investigation on how to locate their surviving relatives. They have checked all available public files and embassies, but all their efforts had proved abortive, as they could not find any of their relatives.

After these several unsuccessful attempts, no one has been coming for his account that he deposited with my bank (Realm Finance bank Plc UK). And due to the banking law and regulation of 1985, sub section 18d page 103 chapter 11 of constitution governing all banking policy, and in accordance to the banking decree 003 sub section 45 which stated that any deposited fund which remains unclaimed after the existing period of four years will be confiscated by the national treasury department as unclaimed fund. And this has brought too much agitation in our bank between boards of directors on how to declare this account unserviceable, base to the fact that the deceased has no next of kin. After the meeting held by the executives of Realm finance bank with the personal attorney to late Michael .on 15th of April 2011, they have all agreed to extend the date to last Friday (30th) of December 2011

Consequently to this, I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by my client before the national treasury department gets them confiscated or declare unserviceable by Realm finance bank Plc, Where the deceased have an account Valued at about Two Million, three hundred and forty five thousand Great British Pounds (Ј2, 345,000.00). The bank has issued out a notice to provide the next of kin or have the account confiscated within the next few weeks. Since no one has been able to locate their relatives for over four years now, I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased so that this account valued at Two Million, three hundred and forty five thousand Great British Pounds (Ј2, 345,000.00) can be paid to you and then you and I Can share the money. All the necessary documents concerning this claim are with the Bank legal department. All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us seeing this deal through. I guarantee that this will be executed

I would like you to contact me via my private email address below, if you are willing and ready to assist me in repatriating the funds.

[email protected]

Yours Truly
Mr. Copart McAfee

ExSp33db1rd
7th Dec 2011, 02:21

So did I - and I don't even have a PayPal account !

treadigraph
7th Dec 2011, 08:46
New one to me, but not to HR - we had an email from an anxious Spaniard wanting to know if our offer of employment in West Africa was genuine - they'd sent him a poorly assembled contract and a lengthy email (with our company name spelled incorrectly), all in Spanish. I translated what he wrote to us and gather that "we" would be arranging accommodation for him and could he please just send along the money to pay for for it...

I presume the scammers got his name, profession and email from Linked-in or something similar. HR tell me they've had quite a problem with this sort of thing.

ArthurR
18th Dec 2011, 11:08
I received this today:

Dear Co-operative Bank Customer,
We detected irregular activity on your Co-operative Check Card on 17 December, 2011.As the Primary Contact, you must verify your account activity before you can continue using your card, and upon verification, we will remove any restrictions placed on your account.To review your account as soon as possible please download the attached form and follow the instructions on your screen.Thank you for using Co-operative Bank UK
The Co-operative Bank Personal banking Online banking
The Co-operative Bank p.l.c.,
P.O. Box 101,
1 Balloon Street,
Manchester,M60 4EP.
Registered in England and Wales No. 990937.

This is the third time this week I have had mail from banks (supposedly) that I don't have accounts with.I think I will send them a mail to close my accounts and send the balance to me by cheque, anyone think it would work?

OFSO
18th Dec 2011, 15:44

Moi aussi, plus several other bank accounts. The only similarity between them all was that I've never done business with any of 'em (or Pay Pal). And now, I suppose, I never will.

I recently received a request to acknowledge or reply or some damn thing to a lady, on Linked In, to which I do belong, although normally I just sit there and watch the world go by.

(Must add that it was useful this summer when someone found me there, as he had to tell me the sad news that his father, an old friend of mine, had just died).

I clicked on this lady's name and half a dozen alarms went off from AVG, MalWare, MS etc., telling me that this was a link to a malicious website etc etc. One more site to regard with a certain amount of circumspection.

G-CPTN
29th Dec 2011, 11:43
BBC News - Rent-to-own credit sector 'morally bankrupt' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16348405)

It cited a three-year rental arrangement with a well-known weekly payment store that cost 1,074 for a fridge freezer, compared with a High Street price for the same product of 430.Wasn't it ever thus with Hire Purchase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hire_purchase) (or Never Never) schemes?

wings folded
4th Jan 2012, 09:37
One of the more bizarre ones I have received, allegedly from "BT Inc" (sic), with the BT logo, sent from "hotelcarltonpenzance @ talk21.com"

It seems that British Telecom has been taken over by AT&T, adopted american spelling and have set up their new headquarters in a nice seaside hotel

Dear Valued Customer,

Due to the congestion in all our users and removal of all unused Accounts, We would be shutting down all unused Emails. You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Log in Information below after clicking the reply button

Name:
User ID:
Current Password:
Country OR Residence:
Date of Birth:

After following the instructions in the sheet, your mail will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Thank you for choosing AT&T for your communication needs. 2011 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. We value your business and look forward to serving you!

Thank you,
AT&T Online Services
www.att.com (http://clicks.att.com/OCT/eTrac?EMAIL_ID=1222756129&finalURL=http://www.att.com/?source=EACE000000000000)

crippen
7th Jan 2012, 08:08
I am Mr manhattan pierson, the chief operating officer with my bank and I want to inform you that an amount of US$10.5 million will be moved on your name as the Foreign Business Partner to our late deceased customer. I need your help to receive this money as we shall share the money in the ratio of 50:50%. You will receive this amount through a bank wire transfer.

Please send your full names, direct telephone numbers, and physical address,
more details will be given upon your reply.

Your quick response will be highly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. manhattan pierson(esq.).

:p

Sallyann1234
8th Jan 2012, 12:22
I've said this before. but all spam could be stopped overnight if ISP's would only get together with an agreement. Simply, every email sent will be charged at the rate of one cent. This is a negligible cost for a legitimate email.
Due to the low rate of return, spam emails have to sent by thousands or millions to be effective. They can only work because they are free to send. The charge would make them uneconomic.
Many spam messages are sent by 'bots' - PC's infected by a virus because the owner hasn't installed a firewall and virus checker. The first bill for sending thousands of emails would ensure that the owner cleaned up their PC and installed a proper virus checker.

CharlieOneSix
8th Jan 2012, 16:02
Today I made a 94 purchase from a supplier I hadn't used before on the internet and it was refused by American Express. Within 15 seconds I had a text from them warning of possible fraudulent activity on the card followed a few seconds later by an email with the same information.

I called the number on the back of my card and a minute later I was able to complete the transaction. Brilliant!:ok:

Capetonian
13th Jan 2012, 23:38
Here's a really pathetic one I got today. What really made me laugh was the Cyrillic characters at the bottom which is just a transcription of Copyright 2012 BTinternet Inc. All rights reserved

And if you reply, I mean, you would, as you don't want your account to be suspended, it goes to a 'live.com' address. Very plausible. I also sent them 100 through Western Onion to thank them for their trouble.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/Helios340/BTscam-1.jpg