PDA

View Full Version : Iphone v new laptop

DTY/LKS
30th Aug 2011, 11:58
Hi folks

Having just bought a new laptop, I am looking for help in getting my music, photos & apps across to the itunes set up on the new laptop without wiping everything.
I have googled it & the best thing I have seen seems to be "sharepod" but was just wondering if any other people have a way of doing this.
All of the music & apps have been bought from Itunes so I could stop it syncing automatically & then transfer purchases, but I am unsure whether this will transfer or wipe all the photos stored on the phone.

Thanks

mixture
30th Aug 2011, 12:34
Do a backup of your phone.
Do a Backup of your phone.
Do a Backup of your phone.

Then you will be able to be less stressed out because you know even if you manage to mess things up you can just restore your backup.

Having just bought a new laptop, I am looking for help in getting my music, photos & apps across to the itunes set up on the new laptop without wiping everything.

How about just transferring your iTunes data from your old laptop user profile to your new laptop user profile and then just re-authenticate with the iTunes store to satisfy DRM. Then you should be able to re-sync at your leisure.

DISCLAIMER: I've never actually done the above myself, so just going upon my (limited) knowledge of iPhone sync workings. So perhaps someone else who has can pipe in.

Ancient Observer
30th Aug 2011, 13:55
First - as Mixture says, back-up is rule 1 to 3.

I've found the Apple how-to instructions to work fine. I've found them via Google. However, as I refuse to buy from the Apple store, your case might require special attention cos of their nasty DRM.

mixture
30th Aug 2011, 16:50
your case might require special attention cos of their nasty DRM

Personally, when I've transferred iTunes data between two computers, I have had no issues with DRM. All you need to do is login to the iTunes store the first time you open a DRM track on the new machine and hey-presto, all your tracks are unlocked again, no "nasty DRM".

Can't speak for the iPhone as I don't store music on mine, but as Ancient Observer says, the Apple support pages / forums are generally worth a quick search. Or if you're near-enough an Apple store, a trip to a "Genius Bar" (appointment recommended to save you waiting !).

Shunter
30th Aug 2011, 18:58
itunes hasn't had DRM on music for a long time now.... years in fact.

mixture
30th Aug 2011, 19:08
Shows how old some of my music collection is then ! :{

Ancient Observer
31st Aug 2011, 18:43
Wot does years mean?

DR bloody M has existed for more years than it hasn't.