PDA

View Full Version : Don't look for a job with Juneyao

Fareastdriver
30th Aug 2011, 10:50
Even though they have fired a Korean captain.

SHANGHAI - China's Juneyao Airlines was penalized after its flight crew refused to give way for the emergency landing of a Qatar Airlines flight in Shanghai in early August, China's civil aviation authorities said Monday.

Juneyao Airlines, a Shanghai-based private airline, was suspended from company expansion and aircraft leasing, and was required to cut down 10 percent of its current capacity, said the east China branch of the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) in a statement.

As the captain who manned the August 13 flight was Korean, the airline has been suspended from recruiting foreign pilots, according to the statement.

The captain's pilot's license issued by the CAAC was revoked and he is banned from applying for a pilot's license again in China, in accordance with China's general operation and flight rules.

The pilot's license of the flight's first officer has been suspended for six months.

On August 13, Qatar Airlines' Boeing 777 flight QR888 from Doha to Shanghai's Pudong Airport diverted to Hongqiao Airport due to a thunderstorm, and requested to land first because of a fuel shortage. However, Juneyao Airlines's flight HO1112 refused to give way after six orders from the control tower, forcing air traffic controllers to organize another emergency landing strategy for the QR888.

captjns
30th Aug 2011, 13:36
Knee jerk reaction to the incident. Shame to punish those who are professional and passionate about their craft.

I hope the CAAC takes up the matter further with the South Korean Aviation Authorities.

WYOMINGPILOT
30th Aug 2011, 13:40
This is typical chinese punishment of punish everyone for one person's mistake. The Juneyao pilot was clearly wrong but the CAAC has overeacted by making all remaining Juneyao pilots take 30 hours of remedial Air Law training and banned all future foreign Captain hiring at Juneyao. The Qatar pilot was also criticized for landing with 48 mins. of fuel onboard. Realize 48 mins. on a B-777 is not very much and when they declared emergency fuel they were using their FMC route which showed them landing with less than the required fuel necessary but were given more direct routing which increased their landing fuel but still only 48 mins. Mistakes in China are dealt with differently and you just have to accept it and move on. Lots to think about and ponder for future expats.

captjns
30th Aug 2011, 13:44
For the time being... expats to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East are viewed as a necessary evil. After the wild expansion has ceased and their own junior pilots are able to assume command, then bye bye expat. However that will not be very soon.

ReverseFlight
31st Aug 2011, 09:46
I think this incident gives the CAAC a good excuse for taking a swipe at Juneyao (non-government owned airline) rather than foreign pilots specifically but conveniently kills two birds with one stone.

Joker72
1st Sep 2011, 10:34
@FarEastDriver:

Do you have a source for this quote?

320busdriver
1st Sep 2011, 13:23
I`m not normally so critical of others because it can happen to any of us but for the grace of god but this really annoys me what a BLATANT and UTTER disregard for airmanship and our fellow pilots :ugh:. I have been taught from the moment i stepped foot in a cockpit that if your fellow pilot for whatever reason is in any emergency that you do all you can to facilitate and assists in your own little way.
I`m really glad he got the sack the problem of course is all the expats now gets tarnish with the same brush because of one prat, and please all you sentimatislist out there if you feel sorry for him, he was asked 6 times in approx 7 mins to give way and he refused each time please go and think about that, there is no place in the cockpit for a person like that:=

Fareastdriver
1st Sep 2011, 15:36
joker 72 This is the site I got it off. How you go into their history I do not know.

SINA English - China News, Special Coverage, Photo, Video, Business, Entertainment, City Guide, Sports & Olympics (http://english.sina.com/index.html)

Inigo Montoya
2nd Sep 2011, 00:53
Also posted on Flight International

China's Juneyao faces CAAC sanctions after safety breach (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/08/31/361443/chinas-juneyao-faces-caac-sanctions-after-safety-breach.html)

USMCProbe
3rd Sep 2011, 03:22
Please remember that the source of all this information is the Chinese government. I work in China, and the only information that we have is the exact same information that is published. For all we know the Chinese ATC could have been completely out to lunch, but there was a foreign airline, and a foreign captain on a Chinese airline (private airline), so the CAAC (run by Air China) gets to blame everyone but themselves. I didn't hear the radio transmissions myself, so I have nothing further to add to the matter.
I do know the end result: all aircraft landed safely, with no damage, and no injuries. No normal, let alone non-normal (emergency) flight has ever been flown "perfectly". This "incident" ended happily, except for the foreign pilots involved. Both aircraft landed above legal minimum fuel quantity.
In addition to all this, and to raise the bar on punishment by the Chinese, they have taken another step - they have notified both the Qatar government and the Korean government about the horrible transgressions perpetuated on Chinese airspace by these damn foreign pilots. If the home-country civil authorities follow through on this (my guess is the Koreans might), they will have an official "incident" on their flying records, making getting ANY job, domestic or overseas, difficult if not impossible to get.
Anybody silly enough out there to still want to apply for a job in China? (like me!).
I have one of the best, if not THE best, pilot jobs in China. I am treated very well. On a somewhat regular basis I am fighting my way thru controllers that know only ATC english, and FO's whose english is usually worse, include a few that cannot effectively communicate with ATC in english.
I doubt I will renew my contract. It just is not worth the hassle, or professional risk.

USMCProbe
3rd Sep 2011, 03:56
As an example of what might have occurred to Juneyao and Qatar Airways, I will regale you with a story from yesterday. I flew ZBSJ to ZYHB, directly thru PEK airspace, including over ZBAA. Talked to Beijing control for a long time. There was a KAL flight having difficulty and they thought they had a navigational problem (dual box dump?) Through 3 frequency changes, 3 different controllers, and 20 minutes they kept conveying to ATC that they had "navigational problems" "navigational errors" "navigational database problems" and that they were "unable RNP" and "unable RVSM". They kept asking for ATC to give them a navigational fix to verify their position. I would rate the KAL's pilot as a ICAO 5 or 6, but non-native english speaker. Couldn't tell if her was a Korean or expat. His requests were extremely clear, slow, and precise. And Beijing control, 3 different controllers, didn't get it.

I really wouldn't take the Chinese press's info on Juneyao and Qatar Airways at face value.