PDA

View Full Version : The arrow of time! Time travails on JB

Cacophonix
29th Aug 2011, 20:21
Given this forum's current issue with sequencing and timing of posts on threads (corrupted database perhaps?) I was wondering whether we are all now subjects in an experiment to disprove the arrow of time or at some smaller scale a kind of rerun of Young's double slit experiment (not a Freudian slit mind you).

It is most amusing to be refuted before one has even had a chance to post one's pearl of lunacy. I like it!

There was a young lady named Bright,
whose speed was much faster than light.
She set off one day
in a relative way,
and returned on the previous night.

Caco

tony draper
29th Aug 2011, 20:47
Thermodynamics say nay!:)

Capetonian
29th Aug 2011, 21:07
I can leave Auckland on Tuesday morning at 1100 and arrive in Honolulu before I left Auckland, at 2145 on Monday night.

It is therefore entirely possible that someone can answer a question before the question has been asked, in fact 50% of the adult population of the planet seem capable of doing so.

I therefore respectfully submit that there is nothing wrong with the time/date stamps on this site.

Loki
29th Aug 2011, 21:15
Remember:

Time flies like an arrow....

....fruit flies like a banana

G-CPTN
29th Aug 2011, 21:16
Who is the Doctor.

tony draper
29th Aug 2011, 21:18
Perchance they have switched to a Tachyon powered server.:uhoh:

G-CPTN
29th Aug 2011, 21:22
Time to change the thronomeister, perhaps?

OFSO
29th Aug 2011, 21:31

handsfree
29th Aug 2011, 21:32
Some fool has reversed the baryon flux polarity.

vulcanised
29th Aug 2011, 22:37
There's some really wild theories on here.

It's just a sticking conveyor belt, that's all.

Takan Inchovit
29th Aug 2011, 22:43
Could it be the right thyme and plaice?

Mike X
29th Aug 2011, 22:49
Thread's been closed. I'm gutted !

racedo
29th Aug 2011, 22:54
"So long and thanks for all the fish"

G-CPTN
29th Aug 2011, 23:22
So WHO has their finger on the pulse?

Wholigan
29th Aug 2011, 23:23
The time stamp problem is all over the site and is being "investigated" as we speak, but confusion abounds.

DX Wombat
29th Aug 2011, 23:34
Sitting at home one evening at about 19:30hrsL I received a phone call from my, then, 13 years old niece in Oz which went as follows: "Guess what Auntie Wombat, I've got a baby brother. He was born at 02:11hrs on 11th. It was still 10th where I was. :) I heard he had landed before he had landed so to speak. :D

Capetonian
30th Aug 2011, 00:04
Is Benjamin Button here?

11Fan
30th Aug 2011, 00:12
It was all explained on page three of this thread.

crippen
30th Aug 2011, 00:29
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkOlvyAAwBaMSAuurV5YWCDi01ktRJvJtzG4yVPTo 9ROlX42R2

Walking Ballast
30th Aug 2011, 03:43
I think I will sit back, mix another Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster and wait for my father, who, because of an accident with a contraceptive and a time machine, is a direct ancestor of my son to come along and prevent me from being killed by a Terminator as I recharge the flux capacitor! :bored:

mustpost
30th Aug 2011, 08:39
Well the problem has spread to the book of faces - posted on a well-known JBer's wall last night and my comment is now before the one I replied to - :confused:

As has just happened here - posted after Magnus!

MagnusP
30th Aug 2011, 08:41
DXW: we had the same problem with my younger daughter's birthday. She was born in the wee small hours of a Friday 30th in Australia; I 'phoned the families in the UK with the news and, of course, here it was still Thursday 29th. Confusion all around for a couple of years!

KAG
30th Aug 2011, 14:21
MagnusPDXW: we had the same problem with my younger daughter's birthday. She was born in the wee small hours of a Friday 30th in Australia; I 'phoned the families in the UK with the news and, of course, here it was still Thursday 29th. Confusion all around for a couple of years! This phenomenon you describe as nothing to do, as you might already imagine, with TIME. It is a LAW, (law created by human being) phenomenon that says what time is it on each part of the earth (time zone as you already know) to avoid to say it's almost midnight (23:59) in some part of the earth when this is the begining of the sunny afternoon. It could be the middle of the night in australia and meanwhile the middle of the day in europe, it doesn't mean there is two different dimension. It's 2 different time zone created by human being to adapt to the reality.

Time doesn't exist.
It's a pure human being unit system creation to give a shape to the univers movement and its life action.
Try to think about duration without any mind translation of it: no second, minutes, hours, no day, no cycle. And will get the closest possible to the meaning of being. You will then understand that the action, the movement are sole responsible for the feeling of time your mind is making up.

We misunderstood action/movement with time since the begining. If you are a piece of rock somewhere in the univers on a dead planet without sun light cycle, time doesn't exist. If you are an human being on earth, you are subjet to the "time" representation 2 times:

1-because your life itself is action and movement in the solar system that gives light/night to the earth alternatively,

2-because "you" (us) have the most elaborate consciousness on earth, slightly above the one of an elephant, dolphin or bonobo, as such "your" (our) consciousness keep explaining its environment with a system/code understandable for itself, time is one of those systems/codes. Outside of a human brain, time just doesn't exist.

MagnusP
30th Aug 2011, 14:31
Wonder how my cat knows when to come in for his breakfast, then.

Cacophonix
30th Aug 2011, 14:34
KAG your philosophical view seems to be asking what reality is and does that reality exist outside the realm of a consciousness to perceive it! This question raises many other questions and many interesting figures such as Newton who saw time as a stream external and independent to those actors involved in in it.

There are of course those mathematicians who by dint of multi-dimensional geometry would argue that all events are and states might happen simultaneously (I was going say contemporaneously but that might have been a tautology).

Personally I think arguing that time is a human only construct is akin to a complex form of solipsism or akin to arguments of the form “does the unobserved fall of a tree really make a noise when falling”.

Is time linear might be a more pertinent question! I suspect that it should so be on this forum anyway.

Caco

OFSO
30th Aug 2011, 15:31
Wonder how my cat knows when to come in for his breakfast, then.

Hunger ?

MagnusP
30th Aug 2011, 15:37
OFSO; I'm sure you know I was being facet.. faces... fcesh... Arsey. Mog usually turns up just after the bathroom light goes out about 6:15 'cos he knows there an opposable thumb or two now available for pouch-opening duties. :ok:

iws
30th Aug 2011, 16:00
KAG are you suggesting that thermodynamics, radioactive decay, expansion of the Universe etc etc.. all depend on Humans being here?

BrATCO
31st Aug 2011, 01:19
Is Benjamin Button here?

No, not yet : he's a bit early.
He had a problem with his zipper tomorrow morning (not familiar with them).

ORAC
31st Aug 2011, 04:35
KAG are you suggesting that thermodynamics, radioactive decay, expansion of the Universe etc etc.. all depend on Humans being here? Schrödinger's cat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat)

visibility3miles
31st Aug 2011, 05:04
Install one of these in each server!
.yawa go lliw smelborp eht llA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

MadsDad
31st Aug 2011, 10:29
And just had the first reply to a posting of mine from before I posted it. Does this mean I'm suffering from 'Tard Vu'?

Senior Paper Monitor
31st Aug 2011, 11:04
Followed you on here Mr Dad for the obvious reason - now let's see what happens !

The SSK
31st Aug 2011, 11:26
PPRuNe is another country. They do things differently there

This forum requires that you wait 5 seconds between searches. Please try again in 250 seconds.

Loose rivets
31st Aug 2011, 23:40
I always know the time . . . I've got it written on this piece of paper.