PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
29th Aug 2011, 15:24
Have the News channels excelled themselves?
Hype...hype....and more hype.

I was watching a journalist trying to give it large.

"I am standing here with my wind meter....sustained winds of 20 mph, and gusting 40 mph"
yawn.
Are they taking the michael?
The best moment for me was this journo, talking after the storm had passed, from lower manhatten, wrapped up as if an ice age was coming...and in the background people are going about their daily business in shorts and flip flops.
Journalists....you guys are unbelievable. You hype it up...and THEN...you criticise Obama and other officials for over re-acting? Do I believe what I am hearing? You guys suck.

OK - so it rained massively..some trees were uprooted...and sadly there was some loss of life and damage. But guys...get real. How does the damage and loss of life compare to the average loss of life on the highways....or from some shootings 'cos you guys in the USA have the right to bear arms.

Sheez......FOX news...you were REALLY bad.....
gusting 40mph? OMG.....declare a national emergency.

OFSO
29th Aug 2011, 16:52
The exaggerated reporting of the hurricane - sorry, tropical storm - damage from the US eastern seaboard at least got SKY News' attention away from Libya for a brief but merciful pause before heading back to "is he here, is he there, those rebels seek him everywhere.."

However, one should always remember that today News Reporting is 99% entertainment and 1% fact.

gusting 40mph? OMG.....declare a national emergency.

The strongest wind I've encountered here was around the headland at Port Bou, a few years ago - reported on Catalan news as a gust of 204kph or 128mph. You could not have stood up in it, I know full well as I was knocked down several times.

ChristiaanJ
29th Aug 2011, 17:50
OFSO,
I admit to having vaguely the same reaction.....
40 mph gusting 60 mph here is nothing unusual either (we had that two days ago).
80 to 100 mph is rarer (we did lose a tree that way).
But (with family in NY) our reaction was... better they over-reacted over there, rather than being caught with their pants at half-mast, as during Katrina - which must have stuck very much in the FEMA's mind...

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
I somehow agree with you.... the media announced it as the "apocalypse is coming".
Of course, with Lybia fading as a 'news source' (where IS Gaddafi??), to them it was 'God-sent' (or 'AGW-sent' if you believe in that.....)

CJ

El Grifo
29th Aug 2011, 18:38
Fairly sure I heard someone use the term "Awesome"

Then again - - -

con-pilot
29th Aug 2011, 18:45
Well the wind speed that the media was all upset about, 45 gust to 60, was not what I would call impressive, hell we get those wind speeds here in Oklahoma all the time, on clear days.

But the rain amounts in such a short time period is pretty bad.

God knows we could use some of that rain here. Just not all at once.

Rollingthunder
29th Aug 2011, 18:56
$27B in damages.... how we do throw numbers around... a bit of rain and wind.

Cousins could get out of Iraq and Afghanistan (anyone really care about them?) and invest in domestic programs - infra-structure and medical.... what is that ? 600B a year? Might build high-speed rail- line NYC - LA to boot.

El Grifo
29th Aug 2011, 18:59
Good sailin day with a bit o reefin'
No spinnaker use, thats all !:ok:

ricardian
29th Aug 2011, 19:13
A member of the Coastguard in the Western Isles was asked by the Met Office for an estimate of the wind speed. He said he didn't really know as the anemometer had blown away when the wind speed reached 125mph, but if it was any help the wind had just blown his Land Rover over the cliff

pigboat
29th Aug 2011, 21:35
Should heve been called Hurricane Wimp. They were forecasting all sports of dire things for here - 50.15N 66.20W - and all we got was some rain. Winds never went over 35kt. Mosquitos around here laugh at winds like that. 'Course the only road out of town washed out, so now we're officially isolated, but other than that...

OFSO
29th Aug 2011, 21:35
the wind had just blown his Trabant over the cliff

That's the worst news for lovers of fine automobiles that I've heard all week.......

ChristiaanJ
29th Aug 2011, 23:18
A member of the Coastguard in the Western Isles... said ... the wind had just blown his Trabant over the cliffI just saw "Trabant" has now been edited to "Land Rover".
Boyo, somebody must have gone through his 'Irene emergency stock' of six-packs real fast, to confuse the two.....

OFSO, me too, I wondered how a Trabant made it to the US East Coast....

CJ

Jane-DoH
30th Aug 2011, 02:41
Hurricane Irene to Lead to Higher Insurance Premiums (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Irene-likely-to-lead-to-apf-4220166333.html)

I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance companies decide to deny as much as they can figuring nobody will take them to court. Most people when they are told their claim is denied usually don't pursue the matter further.

Um... lifting...
30th Aug 2011, 03:14
I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance companies decide to deny as much as they can figuring nobody will take them to court. Most people when they are told their claim is denied usually don't pursue the matter further.

I suspect the only thing that would surprise you would be if some organization actually kept its promises. Having been through several hurricanes (though not this one) and a few other minor disasters, I have never had an homeowner's insurance claim denied (nor have I ever falsified one) nor has my insurance company ever attempted to chisel me. Indeed, they invest wisely and refund premiums to policyholders after years with few natural disasters.
When one always believes the worst of people and organizations, I surmise that while one is seldom unpleasantly surprised, one probably fails to notice when one is pleasantly so.
If all of one's expectations are based upon suspicion and negativity, the world must seem a rather bleak place.

What a tedious existence that must be.:(

rh200
30th Aug 2011, 08:04
I saw on one of the news sites "Reporter stands in front of Hurricane":ugh:

Also saw your pres looking presidential and trying to make the most of the national disaster. So I think they want to beat it up a bit so he looks like he handled it better than W did.

eastern wiseguy
30th Aug 2011, 08:58
I see it has now been downgraded to "an Irish summer":p

surely not
30th Aug 2011, 09:35
Meanwhile Typhoon Nanmadol destroyed roads, bridges, homes, caused landslides and flooding, and killed 12 people, with winds gusting to over 130 mph. However this passed with little mention in the media probably because it was 'only' in the Philipinnes and they get 6-8 such storms every year.

The Media hype for the Hurricane was missing when it was at its peak ripping through the Caribbean, then it ratcheted up to silly levels when it realised the East Coast of the USA was going to feel it.

How many of those who were evacuated this time will bother next time, not believing the hype in the media?

Cacophonix
30th Aug 2011, 09:52
Without wanting to get heavily involved in the politics of this, it does seem that as an American politician, with hurricanes, you are damned if you do respond (Obama) with alacrity and damned if you donít (Bush). The media of course tends to overblow everything.

It is not like NY is immune to tropical storms and the like. I remember being there in the 90s with a tropical storm barrelling in. There was very little fuss, a tornado watch, some small branches and twigs were being blown about. It was as dark as a black pantherís bum, wet, humid and miserable but with none of the hype and the New Yorkers went on in their own inimitable style.

Still look what happened to sanguine Galveston in 1900Ö!

NOAA 200th Feature Stories: The Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900 (http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/magazine/galv_hurricane/welcome.html)

Caco

angels
30th Aug 2011, 09:52
Yes good stuff from the media on this one. The Torygraph reported yesterday that there was a reporter giving it large in the Carolinas somewhere saying he was about to be blown off his feet etc etc when a guy on a bike pedalled by in the background followed by a chap in a t-shirt sauntering along.

That said, the east coast isn't really used to that sort of weather and their power supply logistics are crap. My brother has been in a hotel in Boston which has had no power for over 36 hours. He called it, "Nothing worse than a normal Seaford (coast town in Sussex) storm."

The east coast may not be able to cope with a bit of wind and rain but they do a hell of a lot better with snow. They all laugh at us when an inch of snow brings London grinding to a halt!

Reporter Hit By Wave - Hurricane Irene - 8/26/11 - YouTube

corsair
30th Aug 2011, 13:51
I see it has now been downgraded to "an Irish summer"That's true but unfunny after this year. I wonder if the now depleted Irene wanders drunkenly across the Atlantic and finishes off our damp and dismal summer with a last fling.

Um... lifting...
30th Aug 2011, 15:28
And boy, wasn't Vermont surprised. Philadelphia also had areas of flooding, but it often does, and those areas were evacuated in advance of the rains.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/us/31floods.html

OFSO
30th Aug 2011, 15:29
Nothing worse than a normal Seaford (coast town in Sussex) storm

I remember getting a Standard Eight car roof stove in there by a passing wave on a mild summer's evening, driving along the prom'. It ppooonged out again with a shove from inside the car.

Now what a wimp Obama is, standing there bleating about bad weather and taking cover. This is what a real leader gets up to:

Dailymotion - Vladimir Putin rides around battleship on a Harley Davidson - a News & Politics video (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xksekg_vladimir-putin-rides-around-battleship-on-a-harley-davidson_news)

Worrals in the wilds
30th Aug 2011, 16:01
This is going to sound really wimpy, but I'm glad there wasn't more damage and most people are okay.
Surely it's better to be over prepared and over hyped than completely unwitting. Sometimes people aren't so lucky and the weather isn't so kind :ouch:.

The average city moron (and government :yuk:) needs to be beaten over the head with a tyre iron and told 'drinking water isn't guaranteed. Food supply isn't guaranteed. Electricity and sewerage aren't guaranteed and one big weather event will knock out all four for a fortnight, so get some supplies and a nice big shovel.' If it takes hysterical news coverage to do that then so be it, because otherwise (from local experience) when there's a nasty weather event in a big city, the wheels fall off the wagon.

That said, the whole 'news as entertainment' circling vulture thing is getting rather gruesome.
This is one of very few light notes in a desperately sad story. The circling vultures weren't actually circling in the right spot :ooh:...
Choppergate scandal began with quiet backyard barbecue | Courier Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/tv/choppergate-scandal-began-with-quiet-backyard-barbecue/story-e6freqj6-1226123188695)

Um... lifting...
30th Aug 2011, 16:27
Yep, I get a flat of drinking water every spring, iodine tablets, fuel, have access to electrics if I need it, chlorine, storm shutters, tinned goods, etc. Haven't needed any of it in almost 8 years now... but any time now...

ricardian
30th Aug 2011, 18:38
I just saw "Trabant" has now been edited to "Land Rover".
Boyo, somebody must have gone through his 'Irene emergency stock' of six-packs real fast, to confuse the two.....

OFSO, me too, I wondered how a Trabant made it to the US East Coast....

The vehicle type was L*** R**** but the forum changes it to T******

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
30th Aug 2011, 18:45
I think the joke is the media now make everything hysterical.....everything is breaking news....no matter how trivial.
Did someone say something about crying wolf? so the more the media whip up the frenzy, the more likely they are going to be ignored.
Like on this occasion.
And rightly so.
C'mon journo - dressed up for the artic whilst normal manhatten guys and gals walked behind you in flip flops and shorts. Do you feel in the slightess an arse?
And forget about selling batteries, candles, matches and bottled water for the next year in NY. They bought a year's supply in the last few days.

Jounalistic hype: :ugh:

Lyman
30th Aug 2011, 18:51
We get 70 knots on the Bay every once in a while. The odd sailor has a go, and the odd surf nut heads out to Mavericks.

Life is a risk. Ma Nature can be testy.

If one must rely on City Hall to inform as to safety, one is perhaps in over one's head to begin with.

I am chagrined at the loss of forty lives. For each of these, perhaps ten are alive for not having driven the roads, and exercising caution when one did.

Yes, the PRESS actually believe we are that stupid. Turnabout, fair play?

just sayin'

G-CPTN
30th Aug 2011, 19:06
I watched a news video of a bloke standing on a highway bridge with the water about ten feet below the deck, who emphasised the stress to which the bridge had been subjected by picking up a piece of tree root about the size of a human head that he had found caught in the railings of the bridge :ugh:

Cacophonix
30th Aug 2011, 19:58
Irish Hurricanes..

Thank God she wasn't an Eileen! ;)

RXLHUThBib8

ChristiaanJ
30th Aug 2011, 22:47
The vehicle type was L*** R**** but the forum changes it to T******Hilarious..... PPRuNe overdoing it a bit.
I can see the point of the "[email protected]" substitution (which still seems to baffle people).
But why substitute L*** R**** with 'Trabant', rather than 'SUV', is beyond me.... Unless they've also been overwhelmed with L*** R**** adverts.... (can't have been aimed at the Lybians, since they all drive Toyota 4x4s anyway).

CJ

hellsbrink
31st Aug 2011, 04:37
IIRC, Christiaan, this was done when someone was spouting too much about how good his Landie was and how it was the best vehicle in the world and how everyone should have one, or something like that. Then it was suddenly changed to Trabant and a small teddy was thrown.........

Krystal n chips
31st Aug 2011, 05:50
These mass evacuations and "it's the law "......erm, what happens if you say, as many seemed to do "sod this, am staying put "....what can you be prosecuted for ..if anything...and how can it be determined given the size of populations, that you didn't leave ?

The reports of 3m people on the move also begs the question....where do they all end up...relatives and hotels / motels / camp sites being fairly obvious but the sheer volume of people would suggest saturation ( no pun intended ) of inland areas....and gridlock en-route.

Just curious really as to how these evacuation plans work.

Lyman
31st Aug 2011, 06:16
Krystal

But you miss the point. The important thing is at the end of it to have some one to blame. My lawn is flooded, fix it, then!

Who will feed me now? Right? If one is not prepared, evacuate!

I'm getting ffs wet! Who's in charge!

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
31st Aug 2011, 07:15
The Lan* Rove* v Trabant thing?
I understand a Mod somewhere thinks it very funny.
HaHa. Not.
The humour of someone with the mental age of 3.
Grow up.:mad:
Go ban yourself.

ChristiaanJ
31st Aug 2011, 17:41
IIRC, Christiaan, this was done when someone was spouting too much about how good his Landie was and how it was the best vehicle in the world and how everyone should have one, or something like that. Then it was suddenly changed to Trabant and a small teddy was thrown.........
Thanks for the explanation, unfortunately I missed that PPRuNe battlefield. It must have been fun at the time.
Somewhat O/T... I have a soft spot for the "liittle 'uns", like the 2CV, the Fiat 500, and even the Trabant.
Pity, can't really afford any of them to play with.

CJ

Pugilistic Animus
31st Aug 2011, 20:19
she was hardly more then a gusty rainstorm; I slept soundly throughout the whole affair no evac for me:zzz:

birrddog
31st Aug 2011, 20:34
I told a lot of friends in NY to get prepared with water, non-perishable food, candles and matches, enough for several days.

There are a lot of young people in the city, who are not wise in the ways of weather.

Everyone was panicking their building would be blown over, and not at the risk of no electricity for a week - which shuts _everything_ down (even the toilets!)

I always have a go bag with enough supplies for 4 people (you never know who you might have to look after) for a couple of days.

In NY State alone we had over 1million houses without electricity... 3 days later still about 500,000 houses without power.