PDA

View Full Version : Do you have the required attributes to post in a particular forum?

Exascot
29th Aug 2011, 08:15
I, along with other ex-military aircrew have recently been taking considerable flak for posting on the Military Aircrew Forum. These people are taking the definition of the thread to extremes.

There are many threads there which refer to aircraft no longer in service or to people who left the military decades ago. Are these 'delicate' posters going to be able to contribute to these issues?

In discussions about current policy it is often useful to refer back to 'our time' and perhaps see where lessons could to be learnt. No, they don't want to hear about it. And, before 'thread drift' is mentioned we all try to avoid it, but sometimes we can't resisit it :O

Along these lines I am not really qualified to post in most forums. I believe that I have been able to constructively contribute and assist subscribers in many forums where I am not really eligible.

Comments please.

Buster Hyman
29th Aug 2011, 08:29
Unless you post a lot of rubbish, Jet Blast is not the forum for you.

Off you go...

talkpedlar
29th Aug 2011, 08:42
..your views and opinions are as valid as anyone's. Jeez, in anycase, this site is so infested by dreamers, teenagers, wannabees, willneverbees and flightsim/laptop jockeys.. This is a public domain not an exclusive gentemen's club .. and if other posters don't like what they read they should look elsewhere. Cheers TP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Aug 2011, 09:34
The apparent inability of some current RAF to see the funny side of things, or take any flak, shows the state the Service is in.
It would be beyond irony to post "Can't take a joke...?" in a PVR thread.

When I was in, crewrooms still existed. That was where you went for advice from old guys, and received ritual abuse and random stories within which was the answer you wanted. I would have thought pprune provides some measure of this to the current RAF, but the only current guys posting and agreeing with this are all on a PVR.

No point having unenforced rules. Pprune should either kick us off to our own forum (I suggest Current Military and Military Aircrew, since we don't want to kick them out) or change the criteria to include us. They're probably pondering this now.

Update: apparently The B Word loves us.

sisemen
29th Aug 2011, 10:00
Yep. I've occasionally been shouted down for comments made on the Mil thread. Certainly makes one feel that one is a 'has been'. The young know everything - I know that I did when I was serving, however, as I got older in the RAF I found that my comments were rarely shouted down by the youngsters. Perhaps being of senior rank had something to do with it :E

BTW - one of the qualifications for posting on JB is to be banned a few times and one can get to the 'gold standard' by being on a 'watch' list (but you need the assistance of a couple of opinionated richard heads to get to that level of notoriety) :}

charliegolf
29th Aug 2011, 10:03
It comes down to the old 'opinions and bumholes' joke doesen't it? And Pprune is a place where everyone can show their bum!

CG

Arm out the window
29th Aug 2011, 10:03
Depends who's doing the flak-aiming - if it's moderators telling you to bugger off and stop talking old rubbish, well fair enough; if it's just young whippersnappers who were in Dad's bag when you were in Baghdad, tell 'em to wind their necks in and shut up!

Arm out the window
29th Aug 2011, 10:05
Speaking of thread drift, goudie, that same weird thing just happened with the posts as in the esteemed Limerick thread before - you had one there already, I posted mine and it somehow travelled back in time to pip yours at the post.

Aliens or supernatural beings?

goudie
29th Aug 2011, 10:06
Exascot, I think most of we 'has beens' have had our knuckles rapped for doing the 'in my day' line, and understandably so in some cases. It seems the ethos of the RAF has changed out of all recognition for those who served in the '50's, '60's and early '70s. But then, so has society in general.

Keef
29th Aug 2011, 10:13
This problem is not the sole preserve of the RAF, oh no!

The Young Tigers everywhere* want (nay, have to be) top dog. Therefore, the older wiser dog is to be eliminated at the earliest opportunity. While the old dog is still working, he's probably of higher rank and must therefore receive due deference to his face (but can be slagged off behind his back). Once he retires, it's open season.

But: I never forgot the old rule told to me by a wise retiring senior mentor:
Age and treachery will always defeat youth and skill.

* There is an exception: my current occupation, if such it can be called.

JWP1938
29th Aug 2011, 10:42
As the old saying goes: "When I was 16 I thought I knew everything and my Dad nothing. When I reached 20 I was amazed at how much Dad had learned in 4 years."

Storminnorm
29th Aug 2011, 10:44
The young always did know everything.
Generally that was the point where they started to learn.

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 11:22
A few weeks ago a thread in the mil forum touched upon the subject of civvys. Somebody piped up that civvies were not welcome to post citing the forum description. I mentioned that once you have served you don't return to being a civvy but will be ex... The person arguing against this was adamant this was not the case. When I asked him if he intended to stop posting as soon as he left the mob he said yes, in about 12 months time.

I'll be watching and waiting ready to pounce!

Regarding R&N however I think there's definately a set of criteria that needs to be fulfilled to qualify for posting. The following boxes must be ticked:

Becomes apoplectic with faux outrage if anyone suggests anything slightly not by-the-book.

Graduated from the Herman Goerring school of grammar.

4 dan black belt in google.

Has a special macro enabled key on keyboard that with one press generates: "RIP to all concerned" and when pressed simultaeniously with shift a full verse of high flight is posted.

Seldomfitforpurpose
29th Aug 2011, 11:30
Ex,

Nov next year :ok:

If anyone is feeling precious and unloved from the Mil thread try posting in the JB cricket thread, there's a very Grumpy bloke from Oz who will set you an entrance test, tell you to **** off anyway and god help you if you mention the 1 day game or 20-20 or the Ashes :ok:

vulcanised
29th Aug 2011, 11:48
I experienced something similar in the medical forum a few weeks ago.

In all innocence I asked if anyone had experienced side effects of a new medication I had been prescribed. Some helpful replies also assumed I am a flyer, so I replied to the effect that, sadly, I am not currently so active.

This drew forth a rebuke from a (pompous oaf) medical person who had trotted out a medical description (not what I requested) and was apparently incensed that he had been conned into replying to one of the great unwashed who had no business on PPRuNe.

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Aug 2011, 11:58
Ex matelot

You left out "Successful SOH bypass".

As an ex grunt it delights me to wind up the blue suited elite into an apoplectic froth. Bunch of soft jessies.:}

Flap 5
29th Aug 2011, 12:03
Right . I'm off to the Military Forum to have a go at them ...

Krystal n chips
29th Aug 2011, 12:14
" If anyone is feeling precious and unloved from the Mil thread try posting in the JB cricket thread "

Alas, SFFP, thou art being slightly "economical with the truth" here...are we not?

There is only one former ( thankfully ) poster on this thread who has ever attracted serious condemnation....all of which was justified..as he was a complete ...:mad: Thus, overall, it's a "mutual exhange of views" thread...some of which, of course, may not suit your own....but like those " animated discussions" in crewrooms various in fact.... contemporary rat packs have a good supply of tissues I believe....:E

Some of the Mil guys do need to look beyond the fabled wire at times though...those who feel civilians have no part to play for example given that at some point they will be ex Mil...and, erm a civilian again. Several, I expect, will never fully adjust to civilian life as it really doesn't concern the vast majority of civilians as to what ex rank you were...they are more interested in what you can do now and indeed, without a military hierachal system to support their position, many, of ALL ranks, flounder in the civilian world.

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 12:25
When my little brother graduated from Durham he proudly said to me something along the lines of: "I've got letters after my name now, you can call me Ex_matelot's brother M.math." I replied: "I've got letters before my name, wind your neck in you little shit!...SLAP".

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 12:28
Can anybody remember the excellent parody posted by someone, maybe Jerricho?? about Air crash investigation threads criteria on R&N?

I can't for the life of me remember. It was brilliant though.

Wingswinger
29th Aug 2011, 12:29
Just remind them politely that, erm, we civilian types pay for them through our taxes. All they do is recycle the tax money already extracted from us. ;)

WS (ex-mil and frequenter of the mil forum)

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 12:31
Ah..it was Farrell. This post is a thing of beauty!

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/343273-do-you-fall-into-profile-air-accident-checklist-read-before-making-posts-here.html

Barksdale Boy
29th Aug 2011, 14:32
Flying's a bit like sex: the latest generation always thinks it invented it.

Seldomfitforpurpose
29th Aug 2011, 14:38
Whilst the old folk will always look back with fond memories from when they could still manage it :p

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 14:42
Whilst the old folk will always look back with fond memories from when they could still manage it

Nevermind - next November you get to format your hard drive and forget all about anything aviation or military related. May as well as your opinion will NOT count!

;) ;)

Seldomfitforpurpose
29th Aug 2011, 14:55
Nevermind - next November you get to format your hard drive and forget all about anything aviation or military related. May as well as your opinion will NOT count!

;) ;)

Ex,

I will have a life and will be living it to the full so will be way too busy to be sadly clinging on in here :ok:

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 14:58
We'll see.

;)

tony draper
29th Aug 2011, 14:58
It's traditional,the older generation always think the younger generation are a load of shite, but this time we are right.
:rolleyes:

Tankertrashnav
29th Aug 2011, 15:27
I recently made an observation on Military Aircrew which turned out to be factually incorrect. This was quickly pointed out to me (politely) and my request for more info was again politely dealt with. Result - an increase in my small fund of knowledge about Military Aviation, which I think is one of the benefits of belonging to a forum like this.

I do however get fed up with the serving showoffs who post using loads of current military slang and abbreviations which are more or less incomprehensible to those a few years away from active service and seem designed to exclude anyone who is not currently a member of the "club".

Airborne Aircrew
29th Aug 2011, 15:41
I will have a life

Interesting choice of words that imply you lack one at present... :E

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 16:04
Behave ya buggers :)

Rollingthunder
29th Aug 2011, 16:40
Flap 5

And the very best of British luck.............check 6

Exascot
30th Aug 2011, 06:37
..loads of current military slang and abbreviations which are more or less incomprehensible to those a few years away from active service..

I am glad that someone else is confused. However I also was when serving :(

Mind you it wasn't me on OCC who said that the anti-runway bomb was the JSP318. It may have worked though. I think that I have inadvertently used two abbreviations for a school and a manual which no longer exist. Ha ;)