PDA

View Full Version : Screaming cat alert?

MReyn24050
28th Aug 2011, 12:34
Forgive me if this has been asked before but it is baffling me. Occasionally my PC gives out an alert sound like a cat that has had it's tail trodden on. I have searched Windows 7 and AOL sound alerts but cannot find the answer. I am sure there is a simple answer.

OFSO
28th Aug 2011, 13:49
Yes, it's a fan bearing going, either on the power supply or the case fan or the CPU cooler. I've had this on an old PC when first switching on, the process is (a) screech from bearing (b) bearing generates heat (c) any residual lubricant is liquified by the heat and runs into bearing so screech stops. Very easy to deal with, either get a scrap fan from a PC repair shop or buy a new one (they are extremely cheap), and very easy to change.

MReyn24050
28th Aug 2011, 14:10
Thanks for that OFSO. This sound come out of the speaker similar to the "You have mail" announcement by AOL.

vulcanised
28th Aug 2011, 14:25
The fan can probably be recovered by removing the rubber bung (may be covered with foil) in the centre and applying a drop or two, no more, of any old oil via a screwdriver blade.

onetrack
28th Aug 2011, 14:29
Maybe Ceiling Cat found another place to hide? ... but got his tail caught in the fan? ;)

tony draper
28th Aug 2011, 20:54
Re fans,forget old fans, new ones are cheap enough especially if it is the beast that keeps the CPU cool, go to the puter emporium and tell the minion behind the counter what species of PCU you have and get one rated for that CPU I tried replacing the fan one that came with this new CPU I had bought for a slightly quieter one and near cooked the buggah.
:uhoh:
If it's the power supply fan buy a new PSU they are also cheap as chips as well.
:)
PS,it's a doddle to change a CPU fan and it's a doddle to change a PSU unit

Foniac
28th Aug 2011, 21:07
Why would a fan going have anything to do with them hearing a Windows 7 alert through the speakers?!

Any chance you can get a recording up of this "cat screaming" sound. Might be able to diagnose it a bit more easily then!

EDIT:

After re-reading I noticed you're on AOL (God forbid)... Next time you hear the sound, just take notice as to whether one of your buddies has just signed in. I get the feeling the sound you're hearing could well be the coming online alert :)

MReyn24050
28th Aug 2011, 22:21
Thanks Kieran. I do not think it is that as when a buddy signs on I get a sound like two notes on a xylaphone.

stumpey
29th Aug 2011, 03:15
Think it might be Win7 telling you to "BUTT OUT AND WAIT", at least IME. I would recommend you dump both Win7 and AOL (Ugh, axis of EVIL :yuk:). Go back to good old XP then YOUR in charge, you'll need to re format any way to fully get rid of AOL:yuk:) :ok:

Foniac
29th Aug 2011, 13:38
It can possibly be certain buddies. As I'm lead to believe your buddie's can alter their sounds and you're meant to hear their chosen sounds. It's possible that they have chosen and sound and you're not hearing it so it's is substituting it for this awful sound :)

Linerider
29th Aug 2011, 16:43
Ha! I just had to look at this thread when I saw the title "Screaming cat alert"! I hope you find the kitty inside your computer.