PDA

View Full Version : Oldest T Shirt

Takan Inchovit
28th Aug 2011, 10:19
One of my favourite T shirts was looking a bit threadbare tonight. Had a look at the writing on the front and realised it is 29 years since I bought it.
It has a map of Australia on the front with; "Australia's Games XII Commonwealth Games Brisbane 1982"
I think that was the year the mascot kangaroo Matilda first came to the fore with the Australian teams.
Guess Ill have to save up and buy a new one soon.

Arm out the window
28th Aug 2011, 10:59
Mmmm, not quite as old as that one but I've got a SWAS T-shirt (Sinai Wine Appreciation Society), one of those classy ones that has its own white printed collar and bow tie, from 1985 - still wearable, not too deteriorated.:ok:

John Eacott
28th Aug 2011, 11:29
How about Ipanema Beach, 1974, I bought a Snoopy T shirt off the ice cream seller just to upset Yearsley, who was too mean to pay ;)

And the T shirt is still in one piece :ok:

Then there's the "Jets are for Kids" T shirts that I had made in 1973, HMS Ark Royal, and made a tidy little earn selling a few hundred to the stovies on the trip back from Ft Lauderdale to UK. One still in the bottom drawer :cool:

They just don't make them to last these days........

Mac the Knife
28th Aug 2011, 11:57
How about San Fermin - Pamplona - 1968?

A bit thin but wearable with care on very special occasions.

Mac

Krystal n chips
28th Aug 2011, 12:21
"Phoenix Gliding Club...Fly Phoenix"...1975 and " Glide Pegasus"..1978....with the, erm, flatulating horse on the front and the "upslackin, polebendin" etc on the back. Bruggen and Gutersloh respectively for anybody daft enough to wonder..

Both have survived the test of time and their ability to absorb alcohol, mayo and the residue of paprika chicken skin.....note the limit of one's sophistication at this point....:E

Huck
28th Aug 2011, 12:33
"Journey" 1982 tour.

With the sleeves cut off.

And no I can't fit in it anymore.

BombayDuck
28th Aug 2011, 12:40
Your T-shirts are older than I am.

This makes me happy.

:p

Worrals in the wilds
28th Aug 2011, 13:26
One of my favourite T shirts was looking a bit threadbare tonight. Had a look at the writing on the front and realised it is 29 years since I bought it.
It has a map of Australia on the front with; "Australia's Games XII Commonwealth Games Brisbane 1982"

Mate I went out with a copper who attended that event as a fresh-faced cadet and he's also looking a bit threadbare, particularly in the scalp region :}. Your T-Shirt's probably holding up well, all things considered...
Matilda's still alive and well at Wet'n'Wild Coomera. Retired to the Gold Coast like so many notable Brisbanites.

Bombay Duck, just you wait. Give it a decade and people will be making similar remarks to you. ;).

ehwatezedoing
28th Aug 2011, 15:32
Can't wait for the topic: "Oldest underwear" :E

con-pilot
28th Aug 2011, 18:28
My favourite Tshirt slogan is, 'the Older I Get The Better I Was'.

Would be quite apt for a few of us ancient ppruners

Aw man, ya hit me where it hurts. :{

Oh, I don't have any T-shirts, never wear them. Now my wife on the other hand, has thousands, many, many of which she has never worn. :\

con-pilot
28th Aug 2011, 18:30
Okay, just how in the hell did that happen? Me quoting a post before it was posted?

Jane? :suspect:

goudie
28th Aug 2011, 18:31
My favourite Tshirt slogan is, 'the Older I Get The Better I Was'.

Would be quite apt for a few of us ancient ppruners:rolleyes:

That's spooky!

Con, are you psychic?:eek:

pigboat
28th Aug 2011, 22:58
Not a T-shirt, but I have a black and gold football jersey with #32 on it. Bought just after the immaculate reception. :D

Mike X
28th Aug 2011, 23:06
My ex-girlfriend has my oldest T-shirt.

Good for him.

Rush2112
29th Aug 2011, 03:36
Mine is a very thin "Exit...Stage Left" tour T shirt from Nov 4, 1981, Wembley Arena. There is no chance I will ever fit in it.

Capetonian
29th Aug 2011, 06:27
1976 if not older!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7593647/RH%20t-shirt.JPG

Rollingthunder
29th Aug 2011, 06:33
Was a tad rebellious in my younger days....Hmmm... still am

http://0.tqn.com/d/familycrafts/1/0/j/6/3/GemmaTieDyeShirt.jpg

mtoroshanga
29th Aug 2011, 07:30
I've got underpants older than that!!!

Hydromet
29th Aug 2011, 07:31
Sale HHH 50th run. 1980?

Rollingthunder
29th Aug 2011, 07:50
Might have been Morgan's, soon to become the Hudson's Bay Co. 1972. Certainly wasn't David Jones.

actually looked better worn inside out

Takan Inchovit
29th Aug 2011, 09:38
Those shirts are in very good nick. If I took a pic of my shirt you might see its outline, other than that it's fairly transparent. Been worn a lot. ;)

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 11:25
When I joined the RN, at our basic training intial kit issue we were given what we were told was world war 2 era PT kit. The white socks and T shirts were almost orange with age and needed substantial bleaching. Does that count? It was 1992.

GROUNDHOG
29th Aug 2011, 13:06
I have in the drawer an unworn Paramount Airways T shirt which I will never part with dates back awhile, probably got some older ones though.

At the risk of a little thread drift, was doing some wiring in the bedroom which meant emptying one of the many cupboards. SWBO God bless her has no fewer than 134 shirts (I believe the Americans call them button up but let's say men's style) yet I hardly ever see her wearing one! This does not include the hundreds of T shirts, polos etc lurking in the drawers. What's that all about then.....Gods forbid if I look in the other wardrobes I only know what is in my one!

Storminnorm
29th Aug 2011, 14:18
I've still got some ex RAF shreddies.
Never wear them, ever.
They're just souvenir value.
I left the RAF MANY years ago.

I think I'll throw them away.

Never bought a T-shirt in my entire life. I HATE the things.

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Aug 2011, 14:42
At 6'4" it's a little tricky finding T-shirts that fit. Whenever that occurs, one usually grabs a dozen or so to tide one over. Not overly concerned about colour or style, just fit. Not a fashion icon so it doesn't really matter. Everything goes well with rugger shorts.:ok:

Still got some in the original packaging dating back a few years.

ex_matelot
29th Aug 2011, 15:05
Twotter, you still got the Dollis Hill one?:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Aug 2011, 20:00
Permanently stuck there, Mr Matlow....:}

Takan Inchovit
29th Aug 2011, 20:03
When I joined the RN, at our basic training intial kit issue we were given what we were told was world war 2 era PT kit. The white socks and T shirts were almost orange with age and needed substantial bleaching. Does that count? It was 1992.

:) I guess it does, if you still have one. At this rate we might even determine the origin of the T shirt.