PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei B777- Emergengy Diversion to Darwin This Morming

Long Bay Mauler
28th Aug 2011, 04:14
Anybody heard anything more about the Royal Brunei B777 having an emergency diversion to Darwin this morning with a double IDG failure?

Best Rate
28th Aug 2011, 11:59
Sounds like something must've been BUG-gin' them...... :ooh:

Capt Claret
28th Aug 2011, 12:41
Left engine cowls open when we taxied past this afternoon.

Cost Index
30th Aug 2011, 09:01
Yeah youre right. Double generator failure. One each engine. Flew another 777 to move everyone onwards.

Aussie
30th Aug 2011, 09:13
How unlucky do you have to be today to have 2 GEN fail on the same flight!

Rare anything fails these days...

Whispering T-Jet
30th Aug 2011, 11:13
Dual Gen failure sounds unlikely, they probably had one U/S before departure:

MEL Says you can go with one inop provided the APU gen operates throughout the flight and the back up AC power system is verified to operate before departure.

Luckily the B777 has so much redundancy :ok: (much more than the A330 :confused: for example) that they still had the Back Up Generators (BUGs) x2, the APU, The RAT GEN (much higher capacity than the A330 and no "land Recovery" :ugh:required) and the Permanent Magnet Generators (PMGs) on each engine shaft.

That level of redundancy is why a B777 costs more than the competition. Maybe at Boeing pilots had a say in the design rather than just engineers and accountants.

sleeve of wizard
2nd Sep 2011, 15:05
Whispering T-Jet, PMG's are housed within the backup generator.Variable frequency PMG AC power is used by individual power supply assemblies (PSAs) to provide DC power to the three flight control DC busses.

Whispering T-Jet
3rd Sep 2011, 12:01
Dear Sleeve

Thanks for the update - a while since I have had the pleasure of flying the Tripler. My general point was it has superb redundancy - best I have seen in any type.:8