PDA

View Full Version : PANPAN

Tempo
27th Aug 2011, 02:50
I have come across some notes that indicate what priority your aircraft receives upon making a PAN call.

My notes (not my own work) state that upon receipt of a PAN call ATC will ensure that the aircraft is number 1 for the duty runway and will also notify the company (for commercial operations) of the situation.

Just wondering if anybody is aware of a reference in the books for this information?

Cheers

Frank Arouet
27th Aug 2011, 11:06
Don't know about the reference and couldn't be bothered doing the research, but I'll bet a MAYDAY-MAYDAY-MAYDAY beats a PAN-PAN-PAN anyday.

I do recollect a student in thee YSBK training area give a BANKSTOWN-BANKSTOWN-BANKSTOWN call declaring an engine failure which was subsequently a successful landing at Hoxton Park. Don't know who attended and saw nothing in the papers, but it got my attention.

Also remember a movie where the Capn sent SOS with Mic clicks, But Morse is no longer I hear.

Slasher
27th Aug 2011, 14:05
But Morse is no longer I hear.

Going a bit deaf there Frank? ;)

A old mate of mine summed it up perfectly -

PAN PAN PAN - I'm in deep **** but I don't think I will be violently killed dead.

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY - I'm in deep **** and I DO think I will be violently being killed dead!

sisemen
27th Aug 2011, 15:59
The last time I had a pan-pan area control were onto it like a pack of randy dogs. If the donk had actually stopped I would have converted it to a mayday quicker than you can flick a switch.

It just so happened that it was on the day that the Baron(?) had come down in Qld having taken off from Perth and the crew and pax had expired because of pressurisation failure/monoxide poisoning.

galdian
27th Aug 2011, 16:32
Conquest C441 from memory - a good GA turbine IMHO.

Strange and unfortunate circumstances.

Yeti Breath
27th Aug 2011, 17:02
Pan Pan = urgency

Mayday = emergency

tail wheel
27th Aug 2011, 17:45
It just so happened that it was on the day that the Baron(?) had come down in Qld having taken off from Perth and the crew and pax had expired because of pressurisation failure/monoxide poisoning.

Very early serial number (BB-47) Beech 200 King Air VH-SKC, 4 September 2000. Five hours after taking off from Perth, the aircraft impacted the ground near Burketown, Queensland.

Sunfish
27th Aug 2011, 23:14
A Pan call means that you will be writing your story for ATSB/CASA.

Luckily I had an instructor on board when we tried to incinerate a C172, so they did the paperwork.

Nautilus Blue
28th Aug 2011, 06:33
From an ATC point of view the book reference for priority would be MATS (Manual of Air Traffic Services). Priority for a PAN over normal traffic is is obvious, but it spells out relative priorities for MAYDAY, PAN, MED1, FFR, Mercy flight, etc. Only becomes important if you are having a really bad shift! Notifying the company again is pretty obvious, but I think it would be spelled out in AEP's or IFER manual?

Capn Bloggs
28th Aug 2011, 12:26
upon receipt of a PAN call ATC will ensure that the aircraft is number 1 for the duty runway
I might try that next time I've delayed 45mins to make my PTL and then get told to hold for 30 more! :}