PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm.I wonder?

tony draper
26th Aug 2011, 20:14
If this is real or one of those items that appears like they used to do on progs like Tomorrow's World, then we never see or hear of them again.
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/antiviral-0810.html
:confused:

RegDep
26th Aug 2011, 20:24
Whoops!

...a team of researchers at MIT’s Lincoln Laboratory has designed a drug that can identify cells that have been infected by any type of virus, then kill those cells to terminate the infection.

I sure hope that I don't get a viral encephalitis in the future. These guys may try treat me by killing my brain cells :eek:.

I peg your pardon?

Yes, that's right, Sir. I believe that I still have some left :hmm:.

hellsbrink
26th Aug 2011, 20:39
I sure hope that I don't get a viral encephalitis in the future. These guys may try treat me by killing my brain cells

But surely those "brain cells" that are infected with said virus would be buggered up anyway so you wouldn't miss them............

tony draper
26th Aug 2011, 20:48
Many years ago I knew someone who's life was ruined by arthritis,not that old, had to give up work ect,getting treatments that did not seem to be doing anything for him,one night I watched a item about tests being run on a new drug for arthritis,people who had been in wheelchairs dancing absolutely overjoyed at the miraculous improvement they were experiencing,
When the test ended one poor lass in tears back in her wheelchair and the usual reminder that many more tests had to be undertaked and it would probably be five years before it really appeared,I rang my arthritic pal and told him about it,then zip, we never heard another thing about this miracle drug,I tend to take these announcements with a pinch of salt now.
:uhoh:

RegDep
26th Aug 2011, 20:55
But surely those "brain cells" that are infected with said virus would be buggered up anyway so you wouldn't miss them............

Well, you have a point there hellsbrink… :\

Checkboard
26th Aug 2011, 21:00
or one of those items that appears like they used to do on progs like Tomorrow's World, then we never see or hear of them again.

BBC Tomorrow's World - FIRST Mobile Phone!! - YouTube

Mobile phone with a rotary dial! I want one! :)

OFSO
26th Aug 2011, 21:17
I remember a cure for HIV/AIDS which involved putting in a shunt which redirected one's blood through an external heating coil followed by a back-to-normal-temperature cooling coil and back into your arm. Supposed to kill the wee AIDS beasties. Never heard any more about that.....