PDA

View Full Version : Invitation Facebook - virus?

Loose rivets
25th Aug 2011, 14:05
Just got another e from a pal - no time to research it, but supposed (according MS) to be the worst virus ever.

OooEr, Missus.

Any knowledge of such a creature?

In haste

Rossian
25th Aug 2011, 16:13
.....check the Sophos website in the "naked security" area. It's another false alarm.

The Ancient Mariner

mixture
25th Aug 2011, 16:55
First rule of computing security :
If you are not expecting an email, don't open its links or attachments.

Loose rivets
25th Aug 2011, 22:06
Ta.

I take a sadistic delight in replying to my pal with Snopes and other denials of his Luddite panics. But I have to be sure his computer doesn't explode because of my mischief.

Rossian
26th Aug 2011, 10:18
.....written in 97 pt type in red? Was the threat "validated" by Microsoft and Norton? Were you urged to pass the message on to EVERYONE in your address book NOW, immediately?
Usually the sign of a duff threat.
Several peeps used to pass these things on to me but not since (like you) I pointed them at snopes and Sophos. When one of them DID get a virus for real, I asked her if she'd a warning from MS and Norton and why hadn't she passed it on; I haven't heard from her for a while. OOps!

The Ancient Mariner

Loose rivets
28th Aug 2011, 01:32
Mmmm . . . haven't heard from my mate either. I guess nobody likes a smarty-pants.:rolleyes:

Frelon
28th Aug 2011, 13:54
Interesting......I just had a message purporting to come from Facebook (I really did spell this correctly with "book" but it got changed to"PPRUNE" when submitted!) indicating that "&^%$" wants to be my friend.

However checking directly with said friend confirms that he knew nothing about it.

Just be careful out there......

Tarq57
29th Aug 2011, 03:25
There's a site I find useful, as a FB user, called Facecrooks.
Up to date info on current threats, vulnerabilities, "viral" hoax alerts, etc. Worth a look.