PDA

View Full Version : Glider training requirement for CPL/ATPL

blind pew
25th Aug 2011, 12:56
Does anyone have any information on airlines/schools who include glider/sailplane flying in their syllabus?
thanks

Wizofoz
25th Aug 2011, 13:04
No, never heard of any.

Gliding is really a very different discipline, and usually the preserve of dedicated, non profit clubs.

That being said, I highly reccomend it as a leasure activity.

Tankengine
26th Aug 2011, 06:30
It should be mandatory, as should spinning be.:ok:

ChrisJ800
26th Aug 2011, 06:38
You can (or at least could) use glider hours and quals to reduce the time to get a PPL and CPL. I did a Silver C and 200 hours in gliders and was able to get a UK PPL after 16 hours instead of the usual 40. And got a reduction from CASA in doing my Oz CPL. I started gliding when I was 17, good cheap way to gain experience! You should check with the aviation authority in your country to see current gliding exemptions.

I must admit it was scary being able to fly anywhere in Europe solo after just 16 hours but gliding taught me to navigate, communicate and aviate.

glider
26th Aug 2011, 06:42
I second that!

golfcharlie232
5th Sep 2011, 16:18
IAAG in Merville, France, school used by Air France to train its cadet pilots, makes them do a one month course on gliders and tug planes. This course is conducted in Saint Auban, the biggest glider airfield in Europe, right in the Alps.

ENAC, also based in France (Toulouse) has just started doing the same thing, since a recent accident on a french plane across the Atlantic...

They do around 40 tow flights and about 25 hrs on gliders, including a few solo flights on LS4's, Pegase's, and Discus 2's.

cwatters
5th Sep 2011, 17:12
Some clubs run gliding "holidays", basically a week or two weeks intensive training. Consider somewhere with mountains!

flugholm
5th Sep 2011, 23:25
Some useless information:
Until the 1970s, it was mandatory for (German) meteorology students to gain a gliding license.

blind pew
6th Sep 2011, 14:39
Thanks GC232
That was the type of info I was looking for.
Thought someone across the pond did it as well.

derbyshire
6th Sep 2011, 15:52
Just for the record, the safe order is aviate, navigate, communicate.:)