PDA

View Full Version : Meteor first flight

Steve Bond
25th Aug 2011, 10:28
It's amazing what you can find when you're looking for something else isn't it? I was looking through Cranwell's Operations Record Book for 1943 yesterday and my eye was caught by the entry for 5 March which mentions the Gloster F.9/40 being "airborne for the first time."

This is the date we all know for the first flight of the Meteor. However, turning back a page in the ORB, the entry for 22 February says:

"The Gloster Aircraft Company were provided with accommodation and facilities for the assembly and testing of Aircraft F.9/40. Subsequently the initial trial was carried out successfully and the aircraft became airborne. Further trials are to take place."

Anyone else come across this new date?

TEEEJ
25th Aug 2011, 11:07
I would concur with chevvron. DG202 went for a short hop on 10th July 1942. It was not regarded as its first flight.

www.meteorflight.com - Service history of Meteor F9/40 prototype DG202/G (http://www.meteorflight.com/A55D74/meteor.nsf/pages/airframe_dg202)

TJ

chevvron
25th Aug 2011, 11:13
I read it as Glosters moved in on 22 Feb, then assembled, carried out taxy runs and other tests, and finally test flew on 5 March ('subsequently') Course like the E28/39 it may have done 'hops' at Hucclecote prior to this.
What was it was said when the E28/39 took off? One observer said 'it flies, it flies' to which Whittle replied 'course it bloody flies, that's what it's supposed to do'!
As an aside, Frank's son still flies from Fairoaks.

Steve Bond
25th Aug 2011, 13:47
OK, I take your points; it just struck me as odd when I first read it.

millerscourt
25th Aug 2011, 14:52
If you google RAF Edgehill which is near Banbury it says that was where the Meteor test flying was done too.

Steve Bond
26th Aug 2011, 07:53
Indeed, and many years ago, when I was researching for my Meteor book, I corresponded with a Wellington pilot who was at Edgehill at that time, and he had many stories about it.