PDA

View Full Version : Windows7 XP mode

BOAC
25th Aug 2011, 10:12
Finally made it into the 21st Century. I have 7 Pro installed. I am trying to download the XP mode package. I get as far as step 1 'Download', the validation and activation progs run and then nothing else happens - no more prompts or downloads. Help a simpleton please!

My CPU does not have 'virtualisation' but I read elsewhere that this restriction has been removed.

green granite
25th Aug 2011, 10:47
I presume you have installed 'Windows Virtual PC' before trying the XP bit?

BOAC
25th Aug 2011, 11:22
...er no, as it does not ask for that - it says XP mode then Virtual. Download Windows XP Mode (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx)

Got to see man about a dog now - will be back later.

green granite
25th Aug 2011, 12:10
Try downloading and installing it from here (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3702) and then try installing XP into it once it's running. (I think that's how I did it anyway)

Llademos
25th Aug 2011, 13:00
OK, I'm going to ask the obvious ... why do you want to use XP mode when you've just upgraded? Isn't this a bit like buying a new car then putting the engine from the old one into it?

I realise that some applications don't 'like' W7 but I haven't found any yet. :)

Ll

green granite
25th Aug 2011, 13:15
I can't answer for BOAC, but I have 3 legacy programs that wont run in 7, 2 of which wont ever be updated and the third has been but I'm not shelling out £3,000 to upgrade it.

Llademos
25th Aug 2011, 13:20
£3k for an upgrade ... I can see your point. Makes £79.99 for MS Office pale a bit :)

If it's not a rude question, what is this program that will cost so much just to ensure it works with an OS that is less than ten years old?

BOAC
25th Aug 2011, 14:33
gg - I think we have wires crossed. I have XP and, like you, need to run XP stuff in W7. You are saying do it the other way to the MS recs?

green granite
25th Aug 2011, 15:56
Now I'm confused BOAC, I presumed you wished to run Windows XP as an operating system within a virtual m/c running on a m/c running Windows 7 OS which is the way I run it, you install the VM from MS and then download the special XP package for the VM from MS, it's totally free providing your running W7 pro or above. Things may have changed since I installed it when it was first available. Have you looked in your start menu to see if it shows XP mode? If it does click on it to do the second part of the install.

Llademos it's a radio data link analysis and decoding program.

BOAC
25th Aug 2011, 16:25
gg - probably not as confused as me! Under the 'KISS' principle, I thought I would visit the MS download page (link in post #3) and follow it. Have you looked at it? Is it wrong - is that what you are saying?

I'm in XP right now so will have to reboot into 7 and will look at the S M.

ADD: No sign of anything.

EDIT: Boy, that was a struggle - I had to twice go through the same 'download Step 1/validation/continue' loop and the second time it has started downloading.:ugh:

BOAC
26th Aug 2011, 11:03
OK - all done and dusted, but hardly 'intuitive'! For anyone else trying it, it took TWO complete cycles of 'Download please/Validate/Continue' both for the XP Mode download AND the VM download.