View Full Version : Jeppesen Mobile Flite Deck

Loop Editor
24th Aug 2011, 11:43
Hi

Anyone using this in business aviation? What do you think of it? I edit a magazine called P1, for business aviation, and we're interested in the views of pilots using it.

S-Works
24th Aug 2011, 12:13
I have been using it at work. Drop me a PM.

leondelfierro
24th Aug 2011, 16:37
Been using it a week or so, It's been a great aid, i think this App its a good start, though it need a few improvements, the single feature i miss the most, is route or airway recognition for route planning, the fact that you have to write down your route point by point takes you time if you're not a regular user of that route, since you have to scroll your map all around.
Also would be great to be able to save a number of routes.

Being positive, i think its been a great great help, but i'll like to see those small corrections.

supermoix
24th Aug 2011, 19:34
Have been using Jepp FD for about a month now, initially one iPad and printed charts, now we have two onboard. Great tool, all approach and enroute charts in a pound instead of 11 bulky binders, very pleased, ease of use.

As told before, it needs some additional functions that will eventually make a good thing great. Not planning to look back, we already have our old clumsy and disfunctional EFB's stored in the back seat pockets and got rid of most of our printed stuff.

What i dont like is the airway and regional manuals, non indexed, opens in another application and needs for a search function.

Son of a Beech
25th Aug 2011, 07:57
Have been using it for some weeks now and have mixed emotions.

It looks nice, but have been having trouble starting it up. First you get the blue screen with the arrow and after about 5 sec it jumps back to the iPad main screen. I have to start it several times to work.

The other thing I'm missing is ATC frequency boxes. Right now you have the "I" info boxes on the FIR boundaries but then you get all the frequencies for that FIR, and that can be quite a lot. A simple tap on the chart should reveal the info for the area you tapped on.

I agree with Supermoix about the binders opening outside the Jepp app, it is unprofessional and slow, there is a search function but for books that size it takes forever. It would already help if the PDF had fold down menus that where closed to main chapter level so that you could jump straight to e.g. emergencies. But ideally this should be inside the app. That way you never have an outdated airway manual.

Another thing in this day and age would be to have country info instead of subject info, e.g. When I go to Spain I want ATC, EMER, MET etc for that country to be in one place so I don't have to go back and forward.

Is there anybody that has EASA approval for using the iPad operationally?

supermoix
25th Aug 2011, 16:10
Yes, at least one operator is using it, check:

Fokker Portal - Fokker Services introduces Electronic Flight Bag hardware and mounting solution for iPad (http://www.fokker.com/Fokker-Services-introduces-Electronic-Flight-Bag-hardware-and-mounting-solution-for-iPad)

Son of a Beech
25th Aug 2011, 17:40
Problem with Fokker is that it is a mounted solution, in our xls we dont have space to mount it.

Apart from that Fokker is charging 25000 Euro for the certification and if you have a fleet of Fokker 50's thats ok but for one AC its to much.

Another thing is, we dont fly on a aoc but fly private. Do we need to have it certified? The local authorities say yes but they cant show us where it says so that we need to have it certified for private flying.

supermoix
25th Aug 2011, 18:59
Yes, I think it is absurdly expensive for a non powered, non data transfer iPad mount, they're billing you 2,450 Euros for the certification process along with a 50 Euro mount! But along come the harder and expensive certification for commercial air transport. (in FAA private part 91 is legal)

I don't know how EASA regulations affect PED's, but FAAland is trying harder and harder to restrict (regulate) their use. check this draft:

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_docs/media/AC-120-76B_Coord_Copy.pdf

I don't care much about the little airplane moving along a map in my iPad, I have this feature disabled since my FMS/MFD is a much reliable and better source of position awareness, but to certify a Class 1 PED for private/corporate operations is too much, I think technology is stepping on the feet of commercial interests.

I need to dig more into that AC draft to make a better opinion of it, but most turbojets and 12,500 lbs or more aircraft will be affected one way or another.

If someone has a better understanding of that draft, and also documentation about EASA handles this matter, I would be interested on their opinions.

Son of a Beech
26th Aug 2011, 08:50
They don't charge 2450 euro for the certification they charge 24950 for the certification, for 2450 we would have done it straight away

Steak&Kidney_Pie
26th Aug 2011, 11:02
Private aircraft in EASA land do not require approval for the use of iPad on the flight deck.

His dudeness
26th Aug 2011, 16:15
Are you sure? I have gotten all sorts of answers on this question.

Son of a Beech
26th Aug 2011, 20:46
Steak&Kidney_Pie, can you show me where it says so :D

I would love to see this :ok:

paulsalem
26th Aug 2011, 23:20
We just ordered one of these for our iPad.

Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: Electronics

His dudeness
27th Aug 2011, 10:02
@paulsalem: have you seen the '1 star' review/comment of a Lear pilot, claiming it wouldnt work above 31000ft?

Anyway, I´d be very interested to hear about your experience with that GPS. Please let me know when you used it a few times...

Thanks!

paulsalem
27th Aug 2011, 10:14
Supposedly there was a fix for that issue. The guys on PPW seem to like this product. I will report back once we get it. Though it will probably be at least a couple weeks.

I've hear their customer service is great.

EPR turbo
27th Aug 2011, 11:29
Hello guys,
I am using this Jepp Mobile FD since a few weeks and I just love it! I agree it's not perfect yet, but remember that so far Jeppesen has been very ignorant with it's Jeppview product and the Apple line.
And aren't we happy to get ride of all these Microschrott computers?
My experiences to work with it is that it requires even more discipline than with the paper set-up!
Years ago one needed to arrange its paper charts also in a useful sequence for any intended flight, the same applies, maybe even more, for this magic appl.

Does anyone have experience with a GPS receiver, the GNS 5870 MFI receiver in the cockpit?
I still haven't found a place with good reception in a A319 ACJ!
Thanks

Kent BeTrue
29th Aug 2011, 09:33
Might be useful....

Bracketless tablet computer mounts. iPad mount with vacuum mounts from SeaSucker (http://www.applemount.com/)

InspG
4th Sep 2011, 08:37
I have been using FliteDeck for several years on a tablet PC with a small GPS receiver bluetoothed to it. I have a RAM mount, which I cannot fault, and they also produce a holder for the iPad which is available from Transair for under £40.
I have been waiting, eagerly, for this App. and have used it now for a week. I agree with the previous posts that the worst aspect is the lack of a coherent Manual search facility. From my own point of view I really miss the georeferenced approach charts which could be overlayed onto the area chart.
I hope Jeppesen are continuing development and will come out with some major improvements in the not too distant future.

ipdm
5th Sep 2011, 21:36
the ipaddeckmount is a great mount for commercial use.

500 above
6th Sep 2011, 08:15
Been using it from day one of app release on the iPad 2.

Improvements I'd like to see:

1. Geo-ref'ed app plates

2. I would like to see the en-route charts in the original jep format

Overall, a fantastic tool that has enhanced safety and sa.

Loop Editor
6th Sep 2011, 18:10
Thanks for all the replies - very handy feedback. Cheers!

DC

Son of a Beech
11th Sep 2011, 19:08
Hi Loop editor,

Could you post a copy of your article her when it's published,

We can't get your magazine here and I'm curious

Beste regards

SOAB

bizjetsurprise
11th Sep 2011, 20:08
We have just crossed the Atlantic in our bizjet using 2 ipads with Jepp FD (and no paper) and also the external GPS receiver Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: Electronics

It all worked OK (but you can only use the GPS receiver on one ipad at a time) but Jepp FD only displays aircraft position on the enroute airways charts, not the approach plates or taxi diagrams which would be more useful (unless I am missing something).

sky51
12th Sep 2011, 19:52
Hello everyone,

We have been using the external Dual GPS along with the Jeppesen Flite Deck on iPads 1 and 2 for a couple of weeks now and I do confirm it works on enroute airways AND airport diagrams (but as stated on Jep website, doesn't work on approach charts....)

Chris.

NuName
13th Sep 2011, 03:20
GPS position can only work on charts drawn to scale.

Gulfstreamaviator
13th Sep 2011, 04:33
So should work.

Check top right hand corner for little aircraft symbol....

FlyMD
13th Sep 2011, 06:20
If I were Jeppesen, or for that matter Apple, I would think twice about building in a feature displaying the position of my aircraft in terminal airspace, give the RNP required, and the lack of control these manufacturers have over which external widget people use to acquire the GPS signal.... just a thought..

NuName
13th Sep 2011, 06:27
I hear what you say but nobody is suggesting that one would actualy navigate with this, it is only an aid to SA, nothing more, but a good one all the same.

Son of a Beech
13th Sep 2011, 20:58
Our Proline 21 shows a/a position. But even in the aircrafts AFM it says that a/c position is not to bused for navigation, and of course since we have a single server we need a backup imideately available. So a iPad would be nice
:D (once approved by EASA)

pistulaza
13th Sep 2011, 21:50
We are using it on our G IV (part 91), we have 2 ipads and two bluetooth GPS receiver, since 1 month we are flying around the World and it works perfectly.
I would like to see App plate with Georef and a better graphics on the charts.

It works fine.

Dulay
3rd Jan 2012, 01:11
Love that gps. Works a charm and small footprint!

kupilot
27th Jan 2012, 17:15
Jepp mobile FD crashes on iPAD2 iOS 5.0.1
still no answer from jeppesen regarding this issue!!!!

galaxy flyer
27th Jan 2012, 17:22
Something wrong there, kupilot,since Jepp updated their app, it works fine with IOS 5.0.1. Make sure you have updated the app, too.

GF

mutt
27th Jan 2012, 23:56
We have this running on a lot of IPADS, we have had issues with crashing where the APP opens and closes, suggest you get Jeppesen to remove your IPAD serial number from their database and reload.

Mutt

Son of a Beech
28th Jan 2012, 21:16
Removing the serial nr in order to reinstall the app you can do yourself in Settings (IPad settings not Jepp settings). In the bottom of the list under app's it says JeppFD and then on the right under application info it says deactivate which will release the site key.

mutt
29th Jan 2012, 01:12
@ son of a beach, tried that, didn't work as Jeppesen store the IPAD serial number associated with the user key.

Mutt

NuName
29th Jan 2012, 03:56
Had the program lock up on a iPad 1, removed the program, reinstalled, put the serial number back in, reloaded the whole thing, been working with no problems for over a year. With the iPad 2, no problems, YET.

Son of a Beech
29th Jan 2012, 17:32
@mutt. Than you have a different problem. Have been doing this several times and works without a problem.

Did you start the app again after you deactivated the app before deleting it.. That is the only thing i forgot to say.

This is the Jepp approved way to do it.

long final
31st Jan 2012, 12:46
I am still not sure if it works with the Taxi charts. Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

NuName
31st Jan 2012, 13:38
Worked ok for me in Zurich at the weekend.

long final
31st Jan 2012, 13:54
Thanks,

Do you use a plug in GPS or a bluetooth?

NuName
31st Jan 2012, 14:11
I got a bluetooth remote GPS but it still works more often than not without it on the iPad2.

NuName
31st Jan 2012, 14:18
I got the GNS 5870 MFI, it works very well and the battery life is amazing. Credit card size but fatter.

long final
31st Jan 2012, 14:20
Ok. Showing my ignorance here, but, I thought the iPad had no internal GPS, so to get a position what do you use if not a GPS external supply?

I can use my Wifi connection, and guess if you had a sim installed you would have limited positioning but other than that, airborne etc. how does it work?

Thanks.

NuName
31st Jan 2012, 14:27
The iPad2 has internal GPS but not the original iPad. Both have bluetooth and thats all you need. The WiFi plays no part.

long final
31st Jan 2012, 14:35
Thanks for that. I started thinking I was missing something and just turned the Wifi off and it still worked - as you say.

Learn something new and all that.

Thanks for the info and for saving me £80 on a gps add on I don't need. Only really interested to use it when I am in the King Air, and as we don't do RVSM in that, I expect it will work at the levels we use.

Cheers.

NuName
31st Jan 2012, 14:41
Actually, the higher you are the better chance it has to work, your problem will be the aircraft itself shielding the signal. I played around with it quite a bit and quickly came to the conclsion that a remote up on the screen was the only reliable way to get a constant signal.

long final
31st Jan 2012, 14:53
I am in the KA at the weekend so will try it without first and see how it goes. Thanks again for the help.

long final
5th Feb 2012, 16:16
I tried the gps positioning yesterday. It worked perfectly on the Enroute charts but I couldn't get any position overlay on the taxi plate at Dublin.

Edited to add that I have just noticed the 'display position in terminal charts' button in settings. Guess that's been the problem. :bored:

G-SPOTs Lost
5th Feb 2012, 19:36
Finger trouble from an EZ falcon pilot - bit worrying that :} :ok: