View Full Version : CAE DFW History

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Aug 2011, 03:49
I was told that the CAE / Simuflite building at DFW was the CIA headquarters for Southern Air.

Any proof....

glf

ksjc
24th Aug 2011, 12:41
Funny. CIA in Texas? Must have been an LBJ or Bush thing.

Actually headed to CAE/DFW for my first time next week for GLEX recurrent. Always used FSI and happy but the schlep between West Coast to ILG is a drag.

Will ask CAE about CIA PDQ after ATA at DFW. Blue Squirrel, out.

FLEXJET
24th Aug 2011, 19:27
The original -pre WWII- Southern Air was Dallas based, but only the second SA, established after WWII, was more or less CIA run, but then headquartered in Florida.

I doubt the DFW CAE building has a CIA history...

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Aug 2011, 20:25
ask to see the bunker.....

awaitng your report. OUT

ksjc
11th Sep 2011, 02:02
No CIA connection can be confirmed, however, did learn a Fun-Fact while at Simuflite:

The DFW Simuflite GLEX sim is built from the Global 5000 wreck in Nova Scotia a few years back.

galaxy flyer
11th Sep 2011, 02:28
It is, indeed; the last C-5 sim was built out of the wreckage of the KDOV C-5 wreck, also.

If you haven't been there, the Ft Worth Stockyards are worth a visit; as is Kincaid's for hamburgers.

GF

FrankR
11th Sep 2011, 02:37
The Stockyards?? Kincaids??? WTF / Over?

When at CAE / DFW, go to BoneDaddys and stay there. About 5 miles up the 360.

FR

international hog driver
11th Sep 2011, 07:11
CAE DFW for recurrent = Bone Daddys for lunch...... hard to concentrate in the afternoon session:E

500 above
11th Sep 2011, 08:34
I do concur with Bone Daddies! Also Big Racks in Grapevine.

FlyTCI
11th Sep 2011, 08:36
At my long recurrent last year the instructor took us to Bone Daddy's for our checkride oral. Hoping for a repeat this year..:}

inner
11th Sep 2011, 10:24
Oral with the girls overthere?? I love that place, good meat:ok:

seaskimmer
11th Sep 2011, 10:52
Oh yes...Bone daddys, and theres a great buffalo sirloin at uncle Buck's at the back of the Bass pro shop, or go into downtown grapevine and find a bucket of snow crab served with melted butter.

inner
12th Sep 2011, 08:31
Last year i went to the 'butchers shop' in downtown dallas. Also very good.

500 above
14th Sep 2011, 09:59
Try the Tilted Kilt.

Son of a Beech
23rd Sep 2011, 22:30
Any tips for the best hotel while on a 3 week initial?

FlyTCI
23rd Sep 2011, 22:39
Started recurrent today at SimuFlite and was handed a card from Hilton Garden Inn DFW South. With a stay of 7+ days you would get a rate of $89/night including full breakfast.

I'm staying at HGI DFW Grapevine just west of the airport and am very happy. Not sure what the rate is since company is paying, but the lady this morning said their south location is cheaper.

500 above
24th Sep 2011, 07:09
Try the Embassy Suites near Grapevine. Bass Pro shop next door, big racks BBQ opposite, uncle bucks steakhouse next door, shuttle to FSI, CAE, mall etc.

ksjc
25th Sep 2011, 03:56
Stayed at DFW Marriott South last month. Closest Marriott to CAE. Several good restaurants within 3 minute walk but 3 weeks there could be a stretch. Actually, now I think about it, 3 weeks anywhere is a stretch.

If you like running there's a great 7+ mile paved trail nearby.

Son of a Beech
29th Sep 2011, 20:55
Any special price at embassy suites because the standard price of 220 usd is a bit of a stretch for the budget

For the rest it looks nice

500 above
30th Sep 2011, 07:44
Embassy Suites do FSI a nd CAE rates.

westhawk
30th Sep 2011, 08:26
Make sure it's the ES Outdoor World and not the other one on the 183! Grapevine Mills Mall and numerous eateries in walking distance from OW and only a short drive to Bone Daddy's, Macaroni Grill and dozens of others. I've stayed In North and South Marriott's and Embassies and find the North preferable on both counts. Good shuttle service from Outdoor World, but if you drive, take the back way to avoid the 121. If Embassy OW isn't in the budget pick another of the 5 hotels in the same complex. Hilton and Springhill Suites are both fine too.

FrankR
30th Sep 2011, 08:28
You might want to speak with the customer service staff regardless of the training center. They have a list of hotels with preferred rates.

Also, at CAE DFW most days around 10:00 AM there is a nice hotel rep giving out sweets by the coffee machines (I use the word coffee loosely).

No need to stay put if you can find a better deal.

Cheers for now!!

FR

westhawk
30th Sep 2011, 08:36
(I use the word coffee loosely).

Haha, you're not kiddin'! :eek:

I'd sneak next door to Bombardier and drink theirs. MUCH better! :ok:

(3rd floor hallway all the way to the south end and make a right)