PDA

View Full Version : US East Coast Earthquake

ORAC
23rd Aug 2011, 20:44
Pentagon evacuated as strong earthquake rattles Washington (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8718957/Pentagon-evacuated-as-strong-earthquake-rattles-Washington.html)

A strong earthquake measuring 5.9 struck the US east coast on Tuesday, rattling buildings in downtown Washington and causing evacuations of buildings as far away as New York.

An earthquake of at least 5.9 magnitude and centred in southern Virginia shook much of the American east coast, being felt as far as Canada and prompting the evacuation of buildings in Washington and New York City. The US Geological Survey said the earthquake was half a mile deep and its epicentre was the village of Mineral, close to the state capital Richmond. Tremors lasted for more than 20 seconds, sending people running from their houses and office buildings.

Parts of the White House, the US Capitol and the Pentagon were evacuated amid fears that Washington might be under terrorist attack. There were no initial reports of injuries or major structural damage. Some pinnacles were reported to have fallen off Washington’s National Cathedral, while flights at John F Kennedy International Airport in New York and Reagan National Airport in Washington were suspended.

The quake was felt on the island of Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts, where President Barack Obama is on holiday. Mr Obama was playing golf at the time and it was not immediately known whether he had detected the earth moving.
There were also tremors in Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Rhode Island, North Carolina, South Carolina while one witness claimed to have felt it in Toronto, Canada. Earthquakes of such magnitude are very rare on America’s earth coast.

Linda Bosse, a retired biologist living in Phoenix, Maryland said: “I was standing in my bedroom and my whole house started shaking. “I thought a tree had fallen on the roof so I ran outside. The cell phone network was down so I had no idea what had happened until my son-in-law in Virginia called me on my landline to ask if I’d felt an earthquake.”

The earthquake was also felt across New York City, where thousands of people could be seen immediately pouring out of shops and businesses, packing busy streets. The Daily Telegraph’s office in downtown Manhattan shook from side to side. Cars, buses and emergency vehicles abruptly halted their journeys down Broadway while workers and tourists stood around in a state of confusion, staring at the sky........

eastern wiseguy
23rd Aug 2011, 21:07
DC Earthquake Devastation - jmckinley's posterous (http://jmckinley.posterous.com/dc-earthquake-devastation)

Dreadful.....apparently Rush Limbaugh said it was caused by a massive shift to the right..

Checkboard
23rd Aug 2011, 22:12
Parts of the White House, the US Capitol and the Pentagon were evacuated amid fears that Washington might be under terrorist attack.

If the terrorists can control earthquakes we're all in A LOT of trouble. :eek:

Mike X
23rd Aug 2011, 22:16
Parts of the White House, the US Capitol and the Pentagon were evacuated amid fears that Washington might be under terrorist attack.

At least they felt the earth move beneath their feet, as opposed to their usual M.O.

Gordy
23rd Aug 2011, 22:46
Thanks to all of you for your kind words of support, as we look to recover from the devastation of today's quake!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/307909_1919188939165_1225284316_31600474_2807197_n.jpg

dead_pan
23rd Aug 2011, 23:04
Parts of the White House, the US Capitol and the Pentagon were evacuated amid fears that Washington might be under terrorist attack

We can conclude from this that the security situation in the US capital has been rather quiet of late, and/or that some people charged with its protection have somewhat over-developed imaginations.

rh200
23rd Aug 2011, 23:14
I think this is a secret government plot to see if they can control the masses, the control for the man made quake obviously came from area 51.:)

lasernigel
23rd Aug 2011, 23:24
Friends who I recently visited in Maryland, say the house was swaying and the pool actually had waves in it.

11Fan
23rd Aug 2011, 23:30
Truth is, it was from The Mother Ship landing to pick up Jane and they touched down a little hard. Evidence here at the end of the video.

gQYQOzSMsRQ

Mike X
23rd Aug 2011, 23:32
Truth is, it was from The Mother Ship landing to pick up Jane and they touched down a little hard.

I should have known that - doh !

radeng
24th Aug 2011, 08:59
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Nikola Tesla had developed a scheme for causing earthquakes at a distance, and because of the possibilities involved, had destroyed all his notes and any equipment that might show how. Which shows he didn't trust the US Government in his day!

BombayDuck
24th Aug 2011, 09:19
I wish I could take credit for this, but I found it on Fark.com:

"The epicentre of this earthquake has been determined to be Bush's Fault"

:D

SpringHeeledJack
24th Aug 2011, 09:28
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Nikola Tesla had developed a scheme for causing earthquakes at a distance, and because of the possibilities involved, had destroyed all his notes and any equipment that might show how. Which shows he didn't trust the US Government in his day!

The Haarp, the Haarp, I hear the Haarp playing it's tune :suspect:

SHJ

Mr Grimsdale
24th Aug 2011, 10:07
Quote:
The Haarp, the Haarp, I hear the Haarp playing it's tune

No mention of Nazi flying saucers and their secret moon base. It's true, it's all true.:ouch:

DX Wombat
24th Aug 2011, 10:51
Let's hope there are no deaths or serious injuries caused by the earthquake.

vulcanised
24th Aug 2011, 12:00
Thanks for that one, Gordy !

surely not
24th Aug 2011, 12:50
What's all the fuss about?

Recently in Manila I managed to sleep through an earthquake that was 6.0 on the Richter scale. I knew nothing about it until I went down to the lobby in the morning to meet a colleague.

No one fussing about it, no buildings down, no hysteria. Just another day to everyone.

CathayBrat
24th Aug 2011, 13:33
BREAKING NEWS:
President Obama has just confirmed that the DC earthquake occurred on a rare and obscure fault-line, apparently known as "Bush's Fault". Obama also announced that the Secret Service and Maxine Waters continues an investigation of the quake's suspicious ties to the Tea Party. Conservatives however have proven that it was caused by the founding fathers rolling over in their graves.

hellsbrink
24th Aug 2011, 14:50
Truth is, it was from The Mother Ship landing to pick up Jane and they touched down a little hard.

Dunno about that, but, when you think about it, it wasn't all that far away from Quantico.

What did she do in the back of that black van.......

OFSO
24th Aug 2011, 16:47
Is a "Conservative" the same as a "Republican" ? Just asking, not provoking (unusually).

11Fan
24th Aug 2011, 17:53
Is a "Conservative" the same as a "Republican" ? Just asking, not provoking (unusually).

No. There are Conservative Democrats. Think of Republican as a Party and Conservative as a Belief System.

Generally, they are painted with the same brush though as there tends to be more Conservative Republicans.

WhatsaLizad?
24th Aug 2011, 21:35
"What's all the fuss about?

surely not,

The "fuss" is all the media elite that control the airwaves and print in the USA live in the northeast corridor from Washington DC to Boston which means the rest of the country, and basically the rest of the world, are tortured ad-nauseum with every other mindless detail that might have affected the lives of these self absorbed, hysterical boobs.

Just wait until this weekend. Hurricane Irene has a good chance of hitting New York and Boston this weekend at Category 2 strength. That means we (and the world) will be tortured again with endless video of a few loose roof tiles and downed wires as well as the horror of the elites vacations ruined at the Hamptons or Marthas Vineyard.

Meanwhile the citizens of the south US were forgotten by this same bunch a week after their towns were devasted by the spring tornados, as well as the flood victims of the south and the midwest, and the farmers in Texas who haven't seen a drop of rain in months.

11Fan
24th Aug 2011, 22:09
..... media elite that control the airwaves and print in the USA live in the northeast corridor from Washington DC to Boston

Meanwhile the citizens of the south US were forgotten by this same bunch a week after their towns were devasted by the spring tornados, as well as the flood victims of the south and the midwest, and the farmers in Texas who haven't seen a drop of rain in months.

That same bunch would have been on it like a starving chihuahua on a pork chop if George Bush had still been President. :hmm:

Whirlygig
24th Aug 2011, 23:14
We had an earthquake in the UK a few years, not quite as devastating as this one as it was only 5.2 on the Richter Scale but it caused tens of pounds worth of improvements in Cleethorpes. Made my wine bottles rattle a tad.

Hope everyone is OK. No doubt the West Coast is wondering what all the fuss is about. ;)

Cheers

Whirls

con-pilot
25th Aug 2011, 00:37
On NBC Nightly News tonight they finally found a wall, a parking lot wall, that had fell down. It was a about three feet high before the earthquake.

Still zero reports on even the slightest injury.

Mainly because they can't sue anybody. :p